Thread: Executive trifocal availability

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Executive trifocal availability

I have a patient who wears executive trifocals. His RX is around +5.00 with a +2.50 add. He needs a large frame with long temples. I found a timex frame with 61 eye and 41 B measurement. My lab states they could only do a 56 eye frame. I haven't taken seg height or PD, as I'm waiting for the frame to arrive. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I might know what the problem is... X-Cel is the only manufacturer that I know of for that lens style and the blanks are only 68mm. My go to lab is Cherry when I need something out of the ordinary, but you need someone who could possibly make their own blanks.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    If he doesn't have an enormous PD, maybe you could find a more sport style / wrapped frame with a smaller eye size?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does it have to be an executive? Will the patient wear a wider width D trifocal like an 8x35?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, he won't wear 8x45..tried it, no won't wear smaller frame. He came to me stating other opticians aren't well trained. On top of his specific requests, he wants eye med to cover the trifocals, which they said they will do if I file a paper claim, but small print says we have to accept whatever they pay, we pay lab for lenses, can't bill patient the difference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not worth the aggravation or the cost. I'd tell the patient that the lens he wants is no longer made in the size he needs and I'm sorry I can't help him.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    It's not worth the aggravation or the cost. I'd tell the patient that the lens he wants is no longer made in the size he needs and I'm sorry I can't help him.
    +1. Not worth it at all!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I'd refer him out, sounds like a headache (the pat. being super specific) and not to mention probably not worth the $ to go through the procurement of such a "rare" lense.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The guy is obviously not currently wearing executive trifocals in a frame that large. What size frame is he wearing with exec tri's? Problem solved.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He's wearing a 56 eye I believe, but his chief complaint is they slide down and temples aren't long enough. But I explained with all the weight of those lenses it's not possible for them not to slide.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    He's wearing a 56 eye I believe, but his chief complaint is they slide down and temples aren't long enough. But I explained with all the weight of those lenses it's not possible for them not to slide.
    Keep him in his 56 and covert the temples to a CC. If the RX is still current, no need to order lenses. Sliding problem solved. Nothing you can do about the weight.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, he won't wear 8x45..tried it, no won't wear smaller frame. He came to me stating other opticians aren't well trained. On top of his specific requests, he wants eye med to cover the trifocals, which they said they will do if I file a paper claim, but small print says we have to accept whatever they pay, we pay lab for lenses, can't bill patient the difference.
    Run away! Far away!!

This has nothing but headaches for you written all over it.

It will not be worth it!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Going into a 61mm eye, even if it's possible is going to make them substantially heavier .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    61 eye, +5, exec trifocal....seriously? You need to learn how to say no!

Occupation
    I'm all about offering what others can't. I will go above and beyond for A. Someone truly in need or B. those willing to pay for it. I'm not willing to lose money on a job due to stubbornness. And the insurance issue really puts a damper on things...

I think you can make a fair offer by explaining why his frame choice will not work though (because at this point it IS physically impossible!) If he is used to wearing a 56, than he is used to the weight- I wouldn't focus on that- just find something with cable ends or sport/ bowed temples for grip. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was wrong, he's currently wearing a 58 eye frame, and he's a +4.50 /+2.25 add. My lab has ran the numbers with frames 57 eye and 56 eye and still gets thickness issues. His vision has changed enough that he needs new glasses. He's willing to wear temple extenders, as he's currently wearing a strap to hold his glasses up. Does anyone have a contact person/business that may be able to help this patient?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    . He's willing to wear temple extenders, as he's currently wearing a strap to hold his glasses up. Does anyone have a contact person/business that may be able to help this patient?
    Warby Parker or Zenni!

Sorry couldn't resist

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Got used to all that base out in the add portion. Can't see a thing without it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The current trouble is due to his increased RX. The largest BC you can get an Exec Tri is is 8.50. With a +5, this is going to produce a fairly flat back curve, and there is not enough thickness in the lens blanks to allow for the script in this large of a frame to cut out. The Blank sizes are just too small.

He will need to compromise and either choose the exec, or a different style frame. Something a bit smaller, with eyes well centered.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A talented optician could fabricate a Franklin Trifocal to meet just about any outrageous patient demand including this one. It might look like crap but it would be optically correct. This is a cash money job, no third party insurance accepted and CR-39 lenses only with no paint jobs (coatings or tints.)

If I still had some of my equipment I would just love to do this job as it separates the men from the boys and would provide a lot of personal satisfaction in a tough job well done.

You might be able to find a real optician that would be willing to do this Rx for you however I doubt it. There ain't no more real independent labs left these days.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    A talented optician could fabricate a Franklin Trifocal to meet just about any outrageous patient demand including this one. It might look like crap but it would be optically correct. This is a cash money job, no third party insurance accepted and CR-39 lenses only with no paint jobs (coatings or tints.)

If I still had some of my equipment I would just love to do this job as it separates the men from the boys and would provide a lot of personal satisfaction in a tough job well done.

You might be able to find a real optician that would be willing to do this Rx for you however I doubt it. There ain't no more real independent labs left these days.

Them's fightin' words!

Lol! I have no idea how to build a trifocal but it sounds like an interesting challenge!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Making a franklin bifocal is on my bucket list. A trifocal? Hell why not throw that on the list also. For now I know a lab that knows a guy who will do it. It costs money though, real money not insurance "contributions" PM me if you want to get in touch with them.

In fact I would be surprised if someone with the skills to pay the bills isn't reading this thread.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    You're right I'm reading it, I can only say..."yes I can, but should I"
    My gut says no!!!!!

Thread Information