Thread: Is ABO Certification Worth It?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is ABO Certification Worth It?

I've been in the optical/ophthalmics field my entire professional career (about 12 years) and am wanting a new optician/optometric/ophthalmic assistant position. While searching various job openings, I discovered many of them require ABO certification and I am looking into paying out of pocket to get this certification and increase my hiring prospects/salary expectations. To all the optometrists or opticians out there, can you tell me if it's worth it to get this certification? I have until July 8 to register, and if I hit the books I think I can pass the test in August. It's $225, so it's not cheap, but I will pay it myself if it will make me more marketable. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    I've been in the optical/ophthalmics field my entire professional career (about 12 years) and am wanting a new optician/optometric/ophthalmic assistant position. While searching various job openings, I discovered many of them require ABO certification and I am looking into paying out of pocket to get this certification and increase my hiring prospects/salary expectations. To all the optometrists or opticians out there, can you tell me if it's worth it to get this certification? I have until July 8 to register, and if I hit the books I think I can pass the test in August. It's $225, so it's not cheap, but I will pay it myself if it will make me more marketable. Thanks.
    Put it this way, it won't hurt, especially if you want to move into a management/leadership position. That piece of paper will open more doors for you, and keep them open. It will pay for itself.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    Anything to give yourself a leg up against the competition. In an un-licensed state I hear an ABO cert. is pretty good for landing yourself a job. Just remember, an ABO is very basic and the well of optical knowledge runs deep. Dont let this be the end of your education.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Meh.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My office reimburses as long as we pass. I'm taking advantage of that now, because I know there will come a day where I am in a similar situation. Good luck!

Also, you should be able to tack on an extra dollar or two for being certified.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You're in Texas, so yes, you should. Many corporate opticals lack a single certified staff member. I know because I worked at several of them when I was not certified. Many independents are without one, as well. Every independent OD in Texas posts "ABO" requirement, but they don't always get it. It can certainly up your value a couple of dollars an hour, sometimes more if the OD understands the value of skilled labor. Go for it, no doubt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Will it hurt? No. As another user observed, though, you are in Texas; and, while getting ABO certified will certainly increase your knowledge base and skills, it won't necessarily increase your pay. Texas is maybe one of the most competitive states in the country for good-paying optician jobs-- it isn't hard to find even independent ODs with staff they're paying minimum wage with no perks, commission, or bonuses. There ARE good jobs out there, but they're few-and-far between. Difficulty finding a job that paid me what I was worth, and also didn't want to turn me into a slave (I got an offer from a place that was going to pay me $12/hr plus commission, but I'd also have been working 46 hours a week), was one of the reasons I got out of the opticianry game and shifted gears to other areas of the optical field.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimer View Post
    You're in Texas, so yes, you should. Many corporate opticals lack a single certified staff member. I know because I worked at several of them when I was not certified. Many independents are without one, as well. Every independent OD in Texas posts "ABO" requirement, but they don't always get it. It can certainly up your value a couple of dollars an hour, sometimes more if the OD understands the value of skilled labor. Go for it, no doubt.
    I agree with PT. Your current employer may not think your certification is worth a pay increase. Yet if this is the profession you want to make a home--certification is the surest way to open doors for yourself with the employers who do.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Is ABO Certification Worth It? Yes.

Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    YES YES YES YES YES YES
    My office will not hire someone without ABO and if you do need to job search it will definitely give you the edge.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish more of my employees would be passionate enough to not just take the ABO but really love and understand optics to the best of their ability (whatever that may be). Lol, honestly I'm just happy they show up and do a good job. An ABO is a start though and shows dedication to me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is certification worth it? Yes! Continuing ed is required, and I have yet to leave any courses without having learned something.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hard to believe anyone who describes themselves as a 'Professional' asking such a question. Start with basic ABO and then work for your Advanced ABO.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The basic ABO is certainly worth attaining. That combined with ability to do finish lab will open doors for you. It also never hurts to hone your frame styling and skills.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ABO shows future employers that you know the basic's of optical. You will also learn a lot in studying and even more from CE. Now from a strictly financial standpoint not likely. Most employers in my area don't care. Get it for yourself though and you will never regret getting it.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Hard to believe anyone who describes themselves as a 'Professional' asking such a question. Start with basic ABO and then work for your Advanced ABO.
    To be fair, OP is in Texas. It's more a legit question than some might think. I know several certified people in TX who waited 5-7 years before getting basic cert, myself included. They ran labs, edged, "fit" and dispensed for years. OP may only be making $10-12/hr, and $225 isn't change in that situation, especially since it seems like nobody is helping with that cost. "Professional" can mean the mere act of being paid to do something as opposed to an unpaid amateur. Unfortunately in TX, all too often becoming a "professional" requires absolutely nothing beyond a name badge.

I give credit to anyone who is at least entertaining the question of improving their knowledge base, as opposed to just giving up and going to another profession entirely.

Thread Information