Thread: Amazon to buy Essilor ? ? ?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Amazon to buy Essilor ? ? ?

It probably won’t be long now until Amazon buys Essilor. As soon as the dust settles from their buyout of Whole Foods, Jeff Bezos will most likely turn his mitts on the eyewear market. It could be a perfect marriage. Carrots and contact lenses delivered to your door by drone. Garbanzo beans and glasses as near as your smart phone. Bezos is planning on owning everything. Everything. Monopoly. He don’t sweat no stinkin anti-monopoly legislation.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    you have never bought from amazon?
    i think the c.s. is outstanding
    i wish lux and ess labs offered such outstanding service

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    It probably won’t be long now until Amazon buys Essilor. As soon as the dust settles from their buyout of Whole Foods, Jeff Bezos will most likely turn his mitts on the eyewear market. It could be a perfect marriage. Carrots and contact lenses delivered to your door by drone. Garbanzo beans and glasses as near as your smart phone. Bezos is planning on owning everything. Everything. Monopoly. He don’t sweat no stinkin anti-monopoly legislation.
    I don't see that happening. Whole Foods was in trouble, Ess is not. What I can see is Bezos creating an unholy alliance with Ess to increase Amazon's presence in Optical, then after a few years, going after Warby Parker and the likes.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Next will be Mc Donalds and their competitors.....................

Amazon Will Buy Whole Foods In $13.7 Billion Deal
    Listen·3:2
    June 16, 201711:15 AM ET
    Heard on Morning Edition

Web giant Amazon has announced it will buy the Whole Foods grocery chain for more than $13 billion. The deal is indicative of big changes in the grocery and food business.

Nothing to do with any optical, at least not yet, They are buying a food chain so they can compete and have a food market where you can buy food on the web and get it delivered without delay by drone.

Next will be Mc Donalds and their competitors.

Want food get it cooked, or raw from Amazon............

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly...m-care-1513368

This was an interesting article I read awhile back. The graph that shows revenue to profit is very telling.

The entire point of Amazon is to sell absolutely everything on earth. It's why their customer service is so good, it's why their Prime memberships are used so much. They reinvest as fast as they get income. At this stage, they are not interested in "turning a profit," because their entire push is to get involved in every part of your life: every consumer good in your life, every supply at your workplace. The payoff is in the near future, when absolutely nobody considers anything without considering Amazon, when most things are just frankly silly NOT to buy on Amazon, when nobody thinks of your "amazon account" as a consumer or supply issue, but as something you have to have to live: your Amazon account number will be more important than your social security number. When Amazon is your choice for everything, then they can charge what they want, and at that moment they will be the most profitable company in the history of the world, easily.

The precis: yes, of course glasses are coming. Turn to service, offer products that aren't sold everywhere, control your supplies and COGS, and turn medical if you are an OD.

EDIT: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/no-ama...er-profitable/
    Here's the result in miniature. And, yet, after all that profit, they turn right around and spend billions again. They're coming, for sure.

FYI and full disclosure: I buy basically 50% of my life on Amazon right now

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I buy basically 50% of my life on Amazon right now .........................

Quote Originally Posted by PartTimer View Post

At the end of the winter season , mid April, 4 years ago the heater/air conditioner in my outside office of my house in Florida died.

I went to the Home Depot where I had bought it a few years earlier. They did not have one in stock, and it would take at least 10 days until the next shipment would arrive.

The temperature was over 80 F and I did not like it to be just under the roof for another 10 days and work all day.

I went on Amazon and found one about $300.00 less than at Home Depot, and for an extra $25.00 they would deliver next day. I ordered it.

The following day at 11.15am a UPS delivery truck stopped
    and the driver rolled the large box, over 100 lbs, right to my office door.

One hour later, it was all installed and working. I would have had to rent a truck or van to get it home from the Home Depot.

So it was very convenient and a lot less expensive than purchasing from a local dealer.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amazon should buy Uber. Uber has ubereats and uberpackage delivery services. Using all independent contract workers to save payroll cost. Then Amazon could use Uber's self driving vehicles for delivery also.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is such a clickbait thread title lol

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by PartTimer View Post

..............and so are thousands of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon

Its cloud-computing arm, Amazon Web Services, was once again successful. Revenue grew 58 percent to $2.89 billion in Q2, compared to $1.82 billion one year ago. That’s slightly slower growth than previously seen, but it keeps Amazon on track to achieve CEO Jeff Bezos’ goal of $10 billion in sales for the year.

When is the professional optical retail world finally accepting the fact, that purchasing online, is on a non reversible way up.

With the big investments the big E already has in the online retail, and is moving continuously forward, to enlarge it.

The more than 5,000 store world wide chain *Lenscrafters*, is closing their in store laboratories in favour of their overseas laboratory facilities.

These stores will most probably become also service centers for Essilux owned online retailers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    This is such a clickbait thread title lol
    Agree...good ole Baker fear mongering again. Speculation is not evidence nor factual.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Buy Essilor/Lux? No.
    Buy Warby Parker? Maybe, if you believe the Invision article assessment.
    Buy an online glasses or contact supplier other than Warby Parker? I see that more as possibility for Amazon.
    Also not likely but still within this realm of speculation: Amazon buys Costa, Maui Jim, or Wiley X. No real info to back this up--just a speculation thought.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Amazon should buy Uber. Uber has ubereats and uberpackage delivery services. Using all independent contract workers to save payroll cost. Then Amazon could use Uber's self driving vehicles for delivery also.
    Amazon already has their own delivery service called Amazon Flex where they can deliver goods to you. They are also partnered with certain restaurants where you can order food from them and use Amazon to have it delivered. I know this because I work for them as a side job whenever I want a few extra bucks
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Amazon already has their own delivery service called Amazon Flex where they can deliver goods to you. They are also partnered with certain restaurants where you can order food from them and use Amazon to have it delivered. I know this because I work for them as a side job whenever I want a few extra bucks
    I drive for uber, will have to look into Amazon Flex.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information