Thread: Help please

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Help please

So I have this patient who previously was wearing a Sola Synchrony progressive. It is a new patient to our optical and we suggested to go with the Autograph 3 var. we did not know at this time old design. The RX, measurements, and frame is good we have remade twice thinking RX and Seg ht but nothing worked it was better the first time? The material of the lens is the same as previous pair and there was a slight change in the rx reading is good but they are still experiancing too much peripheral blur at a distance. Please if you have any suggestions on a similar PG design as the Synchrony or any other trouble shooting ideas it would be very helpful. I only have Shamir, Seiko, Unity, and Digital Eye Lab designs available to order through our lab.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the old Rx compared to the new? How long has our patient worn the new lenses? Sadly, I don't know much about Sola Synchrony, specifically but I am quite experienced with Auto III. If everything was fit correctly, the new PAL design should not affect distance viewing, and as far as I know all the distortion in Auto III occurs below the 180-line. I have a sneaking suspicion this is a mild hyperope that had their distance Rx increased by 0.25 or 0.50 and they can't tolerate added plus in the distance zone.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definitely need to post more specific info. There is a checklist of things you have to go through, and after you confirm things whatever is left is going to be the problem. Thats how I do it anyway.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No personal experience with the Sola Synchrony, but as I understand it--it replaced the SolaMax, which I moved quite a bit back in the day. (For its time) the SolaMax enlarged the reading zone at the expense of the intermediate. Synchrony reportedly improved the periphery, but that's really an older lens design behind the A3 by a couple of generations--I seriously doubt it has an edge on the A3 for peripheral. I agree observing the change in Rx might give you some important clues. If bretk's suspicion is correct that the patient is a myope, then the variable fit compounding some additional 'plus' may be a little too alien for the guy used to something resembling a 'short channel.'

I assume you double-checked patient PD and compared to both pairs of specs?

If so, then my hunch is that you have an A3 dispensing problem. Depending on the patient's script and/or frame fit, the versatile A3 still isn't the panacea to every problem. If the new frame has too much wrap, an Attitude is called for. Old and new specs share comparable tilts? Is that tilt fairly nominal? If not, did you input POW values? If you did, were they good ones? Does the frame have too much 'B' under the eye for a variable? Since the A3 is automatically customizing add power distribution down the vertical axis, a fixed might redistribute that peripheral distortion a little 'softer' up top. Rather than putting the patient though another remake gamble, however, I'd be tempted to back him up into whatever manufacturer you have access to that returns good patient feedback on peripheral distortion in their non-freeform options.

However, if your Shamir rep is like mine, he may appreciate a heads up that you're having some trouble with this one and walk you through a good checklist Tallboy mentioned, and offer to come down to troubelshoot with the Px in person if your customer's patience isn't used up. Might be a good opportunity to reinforce some lens education. Some people just won't tolerate a modern freeform, but that's a Very Rare occurrence.
    Last edited by Hayde; 06-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Thread Information