Thread: OVVO Changing temples - removing adjustability from tips.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OVVO Changing temples - removing adjustability from tips.

Just FYI, OVVO is changing their temple tips, removing the offset notches in them which had made them easier to adjust in the vertical axis.

I've had one break on me due to this (Before I realized the change) which was pretty embarrassed in front of my patient, but now realize it is a newly introduced design defect (Right after they bumped up the prices across the board)

Super frustrating. I REALLY liked these frames.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Awesome frames- we can't keep them in the store- even after the price hike! The temple notches have given us two breakages in the past 3 years or so. As long as that is the only place they break- I can deal.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So they are doing away with the notches? Will be harder to fit now unfortunately

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just spoke with the owner and he said they are not changing the current temple ends. They still have the notches. He said about 3 or 4 years ago they switched from no notches to the offset notches for better adjustability. UtilityDave are you sure this was a new frame and not old stock from somewhere?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello UtilityDave,
    Thank you for taking the time to post this thread about your concerns. As the VP of Sales for OVVO Optics, I assure you we are not deviating from our notched design behind the ear. Our original styles (5 years ago) did not have the notches but we evolved as a company and created the notches to help better with the adjustment. Also if you break one of our frames please call us anytime and we will take care of you 855-393-6886 or my cell direct 503.954.4043. As a company we maintain about 1% manufacturers defects globally.
    Also in regards to our price increase, let me clarify that the only collection to receive a price increase was our titanium / surgical steel collection. The acetate, wood, gold, nylon collections have been the same price for the last 2 years. The only reason we raised the price was due to the rise in production cost for that material only. If there is anything I can do to help please call me directly anytime.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello golfnut, we are not doing away with the notches. - Promise :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mattovvooptics View Post
    Hello UtilityDave,
    Thank you for taking the time to post this thread about your concerns. As the VP of Sales for OVVO Optics, I assure you we are not deviating from our notched design behind the ear. Our original styles (5 years ago) did not have the notches but we evolved as a company and created the notches to help better with the adjustment. Also if you break one of our frames please call us anytime and we will take care of you 855-393-6886 or my cell direct 503.954.4043. As a company we maintain about 1% manufacturers defects globally.
    Also in regards to our price increase, let me clarify that the only collection to receive a price increase was our titanium / surgical steel collection. The acetate, wood, gold, nylon collections have been the same price for the last 2 years. The only reason we raised the price was due to the rise in production cost for that material only. If there is anything I can do to help please call me directly anytime.

Then you need to better inform your customer service reps - when I called in to ask about it I was told that going forward this was the way your temples were going to be.

That sort of thing can cause an optician real concern.

Speaking of - is the lack of notches on the temple I was sent a reason to get a new temple - or if any of the temples I've been sent recently are this old stock, would it be possible to get them replaced with notched temples? The difference in design is enormous.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by UtilityDave View Post
    Then you need to better inform your customer service reps - when I called in to ask about it I was told that going forward this was the way your temples were going to be.

That sort of thing can cause an optician real concern.

Speaking of - is the lack of notches on the temple I was sent a reason to get a new temple - or if any of the temples I've been sent recently are this old stock, would it be possible to get them replaced with notched temples? The difference in design is enormous.
    Hello UtilityDave,
    I assure you again that the notched design is the only design we are currently using on all our styles. There is a chance if you ordered temples only, we could have sent you the old style by mistake.
    PM me your account information and I will be happy to make sure you are taken care of. Also you can contact me directly on my cell to discuss further 503.954.4043

Our temples will either have no notches (5 year old style or new style which has notches)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you - and I apologize for jumping to conclusions based on incomplete corporate communication (Recognizing how porous that sort of thing is)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I just spoke with the owner and he said they are not changing the current temple ends. They still have the notches. He said about 3 or 4 years ago they switched from no notches to the offset notches for better adjustability. UtilityDave are you sure this was a new frame and not old stock from somewhere?
    was a new frame - one of the temples that came, new on it was a notched one (OD) the OS temple that came new - Honestly I didn't visually verify whether notched or not, just broke in my hand after rolling back and forth during adjustment. Replacement temple for OS had no notches.

When I called customer service to ask about it (at OVVO's customer service number, 855-###-6886 <Redacted for privacy> the customer service rep who answered told me that all new temples would NOT have notches. this lead me to a bit of consternation as these ARE A VERY GOOD PRODUCT, and that sort of self sabotage is infuriating particularly when I REGULARLY speak very highly of these frames to my patients.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by UtilityDave View Post
    Thank you - and I apologize for jumping to conclusions based on incomplete corporate communication (Recognizing how porous that sort of thing is)
    Anytime UtilityDave, were glad to help!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you mattovvooptics!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ovvo Optical

ok
    Last edited by aharr82; 10-13-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is entirely an issue with your lab of choice and not OVVO. Frame brand is irrelevant. It's not like the stainless/titanium frames are shrinking over time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    This is entirely an issue with your lab of choice and not OVVO. Frame brand is irrelevant. It's not like the stainless/titanium frames are shrinking over time.
    I've got 2 frames, same model right in front of me. The lenses only fit in one of the frames. Not all frames are the same. I've also got 2 Kate Spades in front of me, one set of demo's doesn't fit in the other...they are same size, color, model, everything. Frames can vary in size due to manufacturing variations.
    Last edited by aharr82; 10-13-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by aharr82 View Post
    As you know, frames DO vary in size. But, you're right it's our lab. It's Essilor and Hoya labs, some of the biggest in the country are ALL having these issues? I find that hard to believe, especially when it's only the Ovvo frames we are having the issue with. We send edging instructions, we've sent demo's...we've done all we can do. Don't get me wrong, we love the frames, however, this is just a headache to deal with...
    I certainly do not know that OVVO frames vary in size. I just made new lenses for a patients frame, without having the frame, that I originally made in 2018. The lenses fit perfectly. How could a frame like OVVO's change size? Unless you mean that different individual frames that are the same model number have a size variation? Even then I do not experience any variation from frame to frame. I have one pattern saved in my edger for each model I have made, and use it for every frame. It works every time.

If the same lab made the lenses fit the first time and not the second time, its the lab, not the frame. Equipment is out of calibration, poor QC, lenses are slipping slightly off axis, etc. I don't see any possible explanation being related to the frame.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello aharr82,
    I beleive we have already discussed this via email today. There are no variances in the OVVO Optics frames themselves but if you are using the demo lenses as a sizer, then this would be the issue. The demo lenses do not have the same consistant sizing as the frame itself. If you go to your board and wiggle different manufactuers demo lenses, some are loose, some are tight. My professional recommendation would be to send in the patients frame each time to ensure the proper tracing and exact size. After being on the retail side and lab side for 20 years, unless you have the original tracing stored in your edger like Kwill212 does, there will be inconsistant sizing issues with the inline rimless collections.

Thread Information