Thread: HD progressive recommendation needed please

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question HD progressive recommendation needed please

New to the forum. Need recommendations for a freeform 1.60 or 1.67 progressive that is tintable dark neutral grey. Patient is a photographer and doesn't want Transitions or polarized. OD -3.25 -3.00 +2.50 Add OS -3.50 -2.50 +2.50 Add

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by draff View Post
    New to the forum. Need recommendations for a freeform 1.60 or 1.67 progressive that is tintable dark neutral grey. Patient is a photographer and doesn't want Transitions or polarized. OD -3.25 -3.00 +2.50 Add OS -3.50 -2.50 +2.50 Add

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum.
    This is a wide open request. Almost any compensated FF will work. Are you looking for an entry level, mid-grade or premium? What frame will you be using? Average fit, or POW fit? What lab are you currently using?

All materials can be tinted, not with most premium AR coatings, however, due to the dip coat. For a true neutral gray, have you considered a pre-tinted poly? There is also the option of a vacuum coated tint, if your lab offers it. If not, NACL does.

As a photographer, I understand staying away from Polarized, but I don't understand staying away from Transitions. I use my variable tint lenses all the time when I go shoot. i find it much more convenient, as I don't need to constantly switch glasses based on lighting conditions.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Patient is long time progressive wearer and is looking for premium grade. He is adamant no Transitions and will be fit with clear and suns. Frames are Easytwist 887 A: 53.9 B: 34.8. Average fit. PD 63 Segment ht 23. Any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patient is long time progressive wearer and is looking for premium grade. He is adamant no Transitions and will be fit with clear and suns. Frames are Easytwist 887 A: 53.9 B: 34.8. Average fit. PD 63 Segment ht 23. Any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    What is he wearing now? Is he happy with the design?
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    What is he wearing now? Is he happy with the design?
    Currently in 1.67 index standard Definity. Not too happy. Per patient intermediate OK but distance "a problem with too much head tilting to focus properly".

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Currently in 1.67 index standard Definity. Not too happy. Per patient intermediate OK but distance "a problem with too much head tilting to focus properly".
    I would put him in a Varilux Physio. You might also think about an Autograph 3. However, if he's having a head tilting problem in his distance the solution might be to lower the seg a few mm.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I would put him in a Varilux Physio. You might also think about an Autograph 3. However, if he's having a head tilting problem in his distance the solution might be to lower the seg a few mm.
    A 23.5 mm fitting height with a 34.8 mm B does seem as though it may be a bit high.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hard to go wrong with an Auto III
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Axis? With that cyl I agree with auto 3. 1.6 for tinting purposes. Must be new dye in a clean pot. Even that will fade over time.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe too late, but I am that guy, practically.

I notice you're not talking about lateral blur, but "tilting" or searching for a clear distance zone.

When you go high index, the optics degrade above the OC quite a bit. What's more, they progress below the OC, of course, in a PAL. Can't help that.

So you really need to have:
    1. a short vertex distance
    2. a lens fit dead on pupil center, not a fudgy 1mm below.
    3. a frame that has nosepads that can be manipulated to fix the slop.

I think putting someone like this in an Easytwist is a potential problem. My (old) experience is that these frames are like spaghetti. You can induce negative faceform with a fat head. You could have lens tilting outwards with a poor bridge adjustment. Be careful.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Axis: OD 094 OS 092

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Will definitely look into the Auto 3

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Axis: OD 094 OS 092

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Will definitely look into the Auto 3
    Auto 3 is nice if you want to adjust for POW in that script, otherwise Auto2 may suffice. If he is going for sunglasse, I may consider a fixed 18, and as said above with fitting cross positioned at pupil dead center, with adjustable pads in case mild adjustment is needed.

I personally wear fixed 15 for my indoor transitions type lens, but prefer fixed 18 for my outdoor sunless which is nice for driving, golf skiing, canoeing, etc. to give a bit more clarity below the 180 line. Just my 2 cents.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frames are Easytwist 887 A: 53.9 B: 34.8. Average fit. PD 63 Segment ht 23
    What is "Average Fit"?

I agree with DRK that easytwist frames are not the best choice and will go a step further to say IMHO they are hot garbage.

What progressive lens designs do you currently fit you other patients in and why do you think they will not work for this particular patient?

Thread Information