Thread: New Edger Inquiry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question New Edger Inquiry

I soon will be finding myself in the market for a new dry-cut edger. I see National Optronics (7Ex & QM-X3) and MEI (641 & EX-Fit) have some machines. Anyone have any experience with either one of these? Particularly interested in the newer machines (QM-X3 & EX-Fit).
    Open to hearing about other machines as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    +16 months in with my 7Ex and still loving it.

What in particular would you like to know?
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Worked with the MEI641 (auto and manual) and it is great. Accuracy and speed are superb. Never worked on Nidek 7Ex though, so cannot compare.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have two 7EXs and the first gen 7E. They are all dependable and easy to calibrate, maintain and repair. Both of our 7EXs are drill capable. They do need to be monitored for proper calibration for drills, but they are workhorses. Since the 7E is a legacy piece now, I will be replacing it with the QM-X3. I saw it in action at VEE and was impressed.
    As our business has grown, I also have a requisition floating for the EZFit with the no block option. Again, I saw it in action at VEE and am looking forward to adding it our dry line. The flexibility, RX range, milling, and 4 axis accuracy will be very welcome. The down side with the EZFit, price and cost of replacement parts. But since I won't need pads, anti-slip spray, nor blocks, there should be a good balance. My main concern is the learning curve for operating and maintaining the EZFit.
    As for meeting your needs, how many jobs, and what type of jobs will you be edging? Drills, wraps, custom shelving? The QM-X3 will do these at close to half the cost of the EZFit. The 7EX will do drills, and with the optional cutter bodies, you will be able to do wraps and shelving, as well, but you will need to swap out cutter bodies for specialty work. The 7EX can be purchased for around 30K fully loaded.
    That said, i do not have any experience with the QM-X3 or EZFit - yet, so i cannot say. The fully loaded QM-X3 won't be available until September. The basic version should be available soon.
    $90K for the EZFit, $48K for the QM-X3, $30K for the 7EX. All depends on what bells and whistles you need.

Thread Information