Thread: Varilux Base Curve Chart

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux Base Curve Chart

I've been searching around on the internet for a Varilux Base Curve chart from the manufacturer, so that I can know when and when not to send base curve recommendations to my lab for a particular job. I have found "Availability" charts that list available base curves, but not the grid step-chart that manufacturers use to guide base curve selection. Am I crazy? Should I ask my lab? Should I try calling Varilux? Doe's anyone have access to a .pdf that they could send me? I would be very grateful.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I've been searching around on the internet for a Varilux Base Curve chart from the manufacturer, so that I can know when and when not to send base curve recommendations to my lab for a particular job. I have found "Availability" charts that list available base curves, but not the grid step-chart that manufacturers use to guide base curve selection. Am I crazy? Should I ask my lab? Should I try calling Varilux? Doe's anyone have access to a .pdf that they could send me? I would be very grateful.
    Also, because I know it will be asked, I'm not too concerned with which design I get a chart for. I would prefer a chart for Comfort, but Physio or S series is just fine with me. I'd just like to get a feel for what Rx goes on which curve.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow! There are some still in denial. Just tell them what you want. Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Wow! There are some still in denial. Just tell them what you want. Good luck.
    I dont get what you mean by denial.

When a reccomended BC is not included in a lab order then the lab will go by the manufaturers base curve selection chart. For instance for Accolade if the RX is +2.50 sph the manufacturer reccomends a +5.50 BC. So knowing this fact if I decide that I want a +4.25 BC because of the frame that was selected I will request it. If I want a +5.50 BC I dont need to tell the lab, because they will give me +5.50 by default.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone else may know why but I have always been told base curves for Definity cannot be specified. I'd guess it is because the "Duel Add" blanks processing will not allow it.

I believe Johnson and Johnson came out with the Definity lens (which Essilor bought) with digital or compensated freeform lenses on the near horizon. Maybe even at the same time Rodenstock came out with the Multigressiv? Which was in my experience a fantastic lens that was unfortunately priced beyond what many consumers were willing to pay. I also remember 2C about this time had a great molded lens that was not available with specified bases. Digitals killed this company and I had a devil of a time switching those who got used to them to anything but a Multigressiv.

I'd also speculate that any progressive base curve chart will be quite similar to what is used to create best form.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-18-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.accoladelenses.com/media/...AvailChart.pdf

At least you will know what you can ask for! :)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread probably belongs in the Progressive Lens Forum...

Anyway, here's a CE from 20/20 Magazine that has a chart that I'd bet the Definity follows for Base curves. I'm happy to be corrected however.

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/improving...ses-with-CF272

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    This thread probably belongs in the Progressive Lens Forum...

Anyway, here's a CE from 20/20 Magazine that has a chart that I'd bet the Definity follows for Base curves. I'm happy to be corrected however.

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/improving...ses-with-CF272

Not exactly what I was looking for but still an interesting read. I guess now with a lot of major lenses being surfaced digitally from a sv blank the manufacturer suggested BC becomes less important and picking an optimal bc for the RX is more important. That I can do.

Thread Information