Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why higher adds produce more "swim"...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Not needed ...........................

...........at old age you use two pairs of glasses one for daily all around glasses, and another pair on your desk in front of the computer.

When you get older everything becomes more complicated even little daily things, so making it simpler is helping getting these complications simplified.
    That is a very close minded view on what is best for older people...its called convenience... the use of one pr for reading and one for distances actually MORE difficult than pal's...certainlyif you are going to sit and read a novel or work on the cpu for extended hours then a dedicated pair would be best...i tell all my customers that pals are your swiss army knife...good at most things
    But not great for any one thing. Ive worn flat tops and they are terrible for walking around in...you are just consumed with the fact that you think pals just don't work from what ive read...i have tremendous success with them and when (on rare occasions) people can't handle pals then i suggest the distance only/reading only option.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Not needed ...........................

...........at old age you use two pairs of glasses one for daily all around glasses, and another pair on your desk in front of the computer.

When you get older everything becomes more complicated even little daily things, so making it simpler is helping getting these complications simplified.
    I've had ophthalmologists from Johns Hopkins tell me to take their patients out of the flat tops I put them in and put them into a +3.50 Auto III, and the patients were very happy with their vision, because of the variable depth of field in the reading. Obviously it wasn't my first choice, because I like you know what "happens" in a +3.50 add progressive, however the proof is in the pudding with the people who feel progressives solve their presbyopia better - I've seen it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Anybody wearing a +3.50 addition is as old as they can get ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

I've had ophthalmologists from Johns Hopkins tell me to take their patients out of the flat topsI put them in and put them into a +3.50 Auto III, and the patients were very happy with their vision, because of the variable depth of field in the reading. Obviously it wasn't my first choice, because I like you know what "happens" in a +3.50 add progressive, however the proof is in the pudding with the people who feel progressives solve their presbyopia better - I've seen it.

Anybody wearing a +3.50 addition is as old as they can get, and are probably not even aware that their progressive lenses have about 60% of pure distortion to the sides.

Those people have probably been wearing progressives for the last 40 years and know nothing than that.

Anybody promoting such lenses is doing so for their own benefit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every older person should use a flip phone with oversized buttons that only can only make phone calls because they don't need any other features. /s

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I've had ophthalmologists from Johns Hopkins tell me to take their patients out of the flat tops I put them in and put them into a +3.50 Auto III, and the patients were very happy with their vision, because of the variable depth of field in the reading.
    It sounds like the Shamir rep worked over the MD pretty good. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to reeducate the prescriber. As always, should you be harmed in any way, I will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-delete in five/ten seconds. Good luck, Tallboy.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really don't think it would go over very well if I told all my patients with more than a 2.00 add they needed to switch to a flat top out of progressives.

I have a 2.50 add and I love my progressives. I have zero issues with them. Just cause YOU don't like progressives Chris doesn't mean that millions of people are having problems and are unhappy with them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It sounds like the Shamir rep worked over the MD pretty good. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to reeducate the prescriber. As always, should you be harmed in any way, I will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-delete in five/ten seconds. Good luck, Tallboy.
    For veteran PAL wearers, i don't think this is much of an issue. They have worn PALs for decades and understand the limitations. Compensated FF designs do make it more comfortable to wear, regardless of add. That said, I would never take someone out of a 7/28 and put them into a PAL over +2.50 add.

We provide Zeiss FF up to +3.50 and IOT Alpha 45 up to +4.00 add without any issues. Our patients expect the swim, but the cosmetics outweigh the limitations, *as long as they are current PAL wearers. Notice the disclaimer?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    For veteran PAL wearers, i don't think this is much of an issue.
    It's certainly less of an issue, compared to what the lens rep was suggesting: yanking them out of segmented multifocals and plopping them into a high add PAL.

It's the kind of thing we used to think about over shots and beers to drum up sales.

Don't do it.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information