Thread: Optimized Eye Care - Online Eye Exam by a licensed Optometrist

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optimized Eye Care - Online Eye Exam by a licensed Optometrist

We have received eyeglass and contact lense prescription from ONLINE - signed by a licensed Optometrist.

https://www.opternative.com/

This is crazy!

How is this even possible!

1-800 contacts are directing patients to this website.

Eye exam or contact exam is $40,

and glasses and contact lense exam is $60.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A lot of the onliners are starting to hire ABO opticians now. Hell, there are opticians getting together to start their OWN online opticals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last I checked, legally rebuked in about 6-8 states and under the microscope in more. They locked arms with 1-800-Contacts after giving up on wooing benign neglect from the AOA.

Input your shoe size so we can tell you how many steps to stand from away your monitor. Great. Good job. We know you're not fudging or anything, savvy economical patient...we're on the honor system with each other. Isn't it nice not to have to schedule an appointment with a twitchy OD tech who nags about you leaning in too far from your chair for your Snellen?

:P

[edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot! We positively insist you go see a real doctor for a contact lens exam once every TWO years. Seriously, what could go wrong?]
    Last edited by Hayde; 05-04-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I wonder how many opticians will refer to Opternative to generate (fake) SpRx's?

It's the same as if you'd buy a used autorefractor on E-Bay and put it in your waiting room.

You just wouldn't have the fake signature by the fake doctor to pretend you're following the laws that nobody cares to enforce, anyway.

Pretty soon wussy ODs will be forced to measure p.d.s for their ex-patients who use Opternative and are going to 1-800 for contacts and glasses.

I think there is a derogatory sexual term for people like that...maybe Steven Colbert will comment.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no words. I believe it has been said recently in another thread that refractionists "are not gods", but this is a whole other level. This cannot be legal, and to be honest, knowing that this is basically a do-it-yourself eye exam I would hesitate to accept these RXs.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I have no words. I believe it has been said recently in another thread that refractionists "are not gods", but this is a whole other level. This cannot be legal, and to be honest, knowing that this is basically a do-it-yourself eye exam I would hesitate to accept these RXs.
    Since an OD is willing to write off on it, it was presumptively 'legal,' but six state legislatures quickly caught on and squashed it with new legislation. (Including Georgia despite Newt having been publically lobbying on their behalf.) Others remain on the fence. AOA is on the warpath, Ophthalmologists are sitting on the fence, ostensibly because no one's eyes are bleeding yet. In a world where 1-800-Contacts is "ok," I fear this may get a lot further than it should. If it does, I hope the ODs cleaning up the aftermath take good notes and we see some good studies on DIeYecare.

I think you're extremely wise about hesitating to accept those Rx's. If your lab extends you a free Dr's change on your orders, then maybe it could be a good learning experience for a patient who must go to the OD to get it right. Otherwise, I would think long and hard before sticking my foot in that quagmire. Heck, since I like my lab, maybe I'd just blankly refuse in order to cut them a break. (Odds are I won't see these anyway...they'll just keep googling to get their specs, too.)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Massachusetts, Rx's for contacts from an on-line exam are illegal and should not be filled. Mass. General Laws 246 CMR 3.00 and 3.01 explicitly list the criteria for contact lens evaluation as an in-person exam with biomicroscopy. Our OD did the Opternative exam-she said it was only about vision, not eye health which of course is crucial for a yearly contact lens exam.
    I queried one our legislators about this and he told me that for a Cease and Desist order you need: a lawsuit and a lawyer-which of course means $$$$- if Mass LDO's wanted Opternative to cease operations in Mass, it would require a lengthy expensive battle.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just got one in yesterday from a Dr Tommy Dang, no physical office address listed and an online search brought this up. Only an 866 Phone and Fax# is listed.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check with your state laws David_Garza? Are you in a licensed state? I think I saw on OD's on Facebook that this OD is in Texas signing these rx's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    Check with your state laws David_Garza? Are you in a licensed state? I think I saw on OD's on Facebook that this OD is in Texas signing these rx's.
    looking into it now.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    hey david garza-this guy is an ophthalmologist working near me. please pm me b/c i have some interesting back ground

Thread Information