Playing Favorites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Favorites

OB has a diverse group of individuals who have a wide range of responsibilities. I thought it might be interesting to list our favorite and least favorite tasks!

Fave: Buying frames -I love spending company money on pretty things

Least Fave: Coating! I hate that I can ruin a perfect and sometimes very expensive lens as soon as I try to add the hard coat. It is soooo discouraging
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

I'll play!

F: Back when I worked lab, I inherited this ancient lens groover, that no matter how you clamped the lens you HAD to stabilize it with your finger as it rotated. Hated the thing, but after a while it became its own meditation. Like a Buddhist mudra. [Demonstrates by holds his right fist with proximal phalanxes facing front while index finger points left in a state of geometric perfection.]

LF: Ruining a $200 lens on that stupid groover when my concentration failed me.

Man, I inhaled a lot dust thanks to that thing. I can still remember the difference in taste between aerolized lens material powders....

Comment

F: Grinding saddlebacks on glass for dive masks and hand shaping custom patterns

LF: Finding air bubbles on said diving mask after being extremely careful during clamping and having to start over.
      I bend light. That is what I do.

Comment

F: Buying different sporty, colorful glasses at cheap rates but good quality.

LF: Working.

Comment

Originally posted by ILBarry View Post
          F: Buying different sporty, colorful glasses at cheap rates but good quality.

LF: Working.
          Is this in reference to a specific line? Sounds like a dream!

Comment

F. Taking a lens down by hand and having it look great.
            LF. (Back in the day) Chem temping lenses and having the power go out overnight.

Comment

F: Making 3 pc. specs that resemble facial jewelry

LF: Tinting (We are inundated by "it has to look EXACTLY​ like the demo" pat's.)

Comment

F: Fitting glasses and they fall into place perfectly, and they see perfectly!

LF: Customer commenting they can't see, even before the glasses are all the way on their face.

Comment

Easy, the High and Lows are in contact lenses:

F: Teaching a 12 year old with +7,00 correction and hearing "it's a little bit complicated", and then suddenly see them succeed to handle the lenses with their tiny fumbly fingers :)

LF: Arguing why there is not Toric lenses in all ax directions. Having a multifocal contacts user see 20/20, read on their iphone and still complain that the acuity sucks. Having a Contact Lens learner NOT listen to you for 40 minutes straight when they keep doing the same mistakes while inserting/removing the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by scriptfiller View Post
                    LF: Tinting (We are inundated by "it has to look EXACTLY​ like the demo" pat's.)
                    Hate this! I explain that it's like trying to replicate an Easter egg.

Comment

I'll play
                      Favorite-Believe it or not I LOVE to organize my frame boards and get all my little children neat, clean and organized.
                      Not so much-Kindly and patiently explaining yet again to a myopic engineer how progressives and/or office glasses work. They listen and think that doesn't apply to them and then they come in and say "I have to turn my head." No kidding! That's why I spent my life force at the front end educating you.

Comment

Originally posted by Quince View Post
                        OB has a diverse group of individuals who have a wide range of responsibilities. I thought it might be interesting to list our favorite and least favorite tasks!
                        Finding solutions.
                        Almost as good as sex.

Accounting.
                        I'd rather take out the trash.
                        Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

F: I have two favorites, I love it when a patient goes with the first frame I hand them. Especially if we try on several more pairs. I love it when I am able to resolve issues for people. I like solving problems.

LF: Doing frame returns. Paperwork is super boring,

Comment

Working...
                          X