Thread: Night Shift Android app

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Night Shift Android app

I got this really cool android app that allows you to alter the wavelength output of your android phone, its called Night Shift.

It allows you to choose from all sorts of options, but the candle light one gives a very reddish hue - I swear I fall asleep faster reading with this tint on the screen than laying with my eyes closed! Its unbelievable, really cool stuff. I mention it to all my clients now when they bring up blue light. Its literally stopped me from being anxious and stressed before I go to bed, just a colored light!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ghtshift&hl=en

It got me wondering if the other "therapeutic tints" like ones that may or may not help with anxiety etc. could be incorporated into an Android app, very neat.

Try it out guys, I want to know if it works for you like it has for me. Very minimal advertising when it is turned on or off.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lol very cool uillean. I only reccomend those tints/ARs to people who experience an abnormal amount of strain/headaches from extended computer use at their job, and people with macular issues that their doctor thinks they should protect themselves. I have a number of kids who wear blue tech at home before bed and it helps them sleep - but I will NOT support the bs of this industry.

Also I have had 2 patients now complain at the "tint" now on all varilux lenses inherently (the grey-ish hue to the new Blue Blocking polymers on all varilux) Switched them to my favorite digital lens and problem no more.

This app actually goes beyond what Apple did with their night time stuff (my wife uses apple, I'm an android guy - I was a little jealous of her feature) but Night Shift is awesome and fun to play with. You can literally feel your eyes/brain/body feel different just by changing through the different light options!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was going to mention the Iphone doing that too. My google Pixel has a night light mode which automatically changes the screen hues at sunset and sunrise to more of a reddish tone much like the iphones do. I find that I also fall asleep much quicker and its not so harsh on my eyes when I happen to check my phone in the middle of the night!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper ................fancy restaurant at a birthday party

Quote Originally Posted by iaxbbcp View Post

I find that I also fall asleep much quicker and its not so harsh on my eyes when I happen to check my phone in the middle of the night!

................fancy restaurant at a birthday party, 25 participants, and my wife and myself were the only ones that had not parked their cell phones on the table and periodically checked them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper In today's age of plastic lenses you could even tint that yourself ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

I got this really cool android app that allows you to alter the wavelength output of your android phone, its called Night Shift.

It allows you to choose from all sorts of options, but the candle light one gives a very reddish hue -
    I swear I fall asleep faster reading with this tint on the screen than laying with my eyes closed! Its unbelievable, really cool stuff. I mention it to all my clients now when they bring up blue light. Its literally stopped me from being anxious and stressed before I go to bed, just a colored light!

In the old days of glass lenses we used to upsell customers lenses to American Optical, Cruxite and B&L, Softlite lenses that would have the same effect.

In today's age of plastic lenses you could even tint that yourself and have a more profitable upsell on lenses than promoting a cell phone app.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In the old days of glass lenses we used to upsell customers lenses to American Optical, Cruxite and B&L, Softlite lenses that would have the same effect.

In today's age of plastic lenses you could even tint that yourself and have a more profitable upsell on lenses than promoting a cell phone app.
    But fixed tints only go so far. We need to build trust with our clients, and that goes farther than nickle and diming them. Personally, I would recommend these apps and features for tablets and smartphones if asked. But I would also try to educate them.

Back in the day, when things were all manual, we used to recommend occupational lenses all the time. In this digital age, occupational lenses have taken a turn. HEV attenuation is the new occupational lens, and much more far reaching than the DD or FD. So we lose a few bucks with selling fixed tints, but we can gain clients by listening to them and educating them about all available options, whether or not you believe the hype of HEV lenses.

Not all HEV lenses are created equally, and most have a cast to them, and they are not pretty. However, being embedded or applied, they do not always reduce digital eyestrain. One major fact to consider. It is not just digital devices that permeate our new environment. Schools, offices, stores, even our homes are switching to LED lighting. HEV is no longer about being outdoors. These artificial lights extend our exposure to HEV long after the sun goes down, and in the sanctity of indoor environments. Gone are the warmth of tungsten lights. So why not talk to your clients about this fact, and how to manage the new digital environment, including apps and settings as a short term solution?

We cannot, and should not, rely on fixed tints for primary wear. Fixed tints only attenuate the visible spectrum and will reduce the amount of light passing through it, even with an AR applied. Instead, we should rely on selecting appropriate products to help our visually challenged clients see the world more comfortably. And this is where HEV attenuation comes into play. I am still jaded about the effect of tablet/smartphone/indoor HEV as it relates to the health of the eye, but I strongly believe in its effect on our circadian rhythm. I'm sure that in less than 10 years, studies will be conclusive about the hazards of HEV. If I remember correctly, more 20-somethings are now being diagnosed with eye disorders than before the tablet generation. Cause and effect? Maybe, maybe not.

For those who cannot, or wish not to purchase multiple pairs, Transitions, and the like will help these patients. Light to dark, and with HEV protection makes sense. Plus, they can be worn day and night.

And now, the new occupationals. For those who are on the computers all day, homework on the laptop at night, gamers, etc, something like the Retinal Bliss DES, or even Prevencia will fit the bill. Both are HEV blocking with backside AR, but they also have a more pleasing residual tint than other HEV lenses on the market. The light amber color both relaxes the eye and warms the whites, and when combined with Poly or TVX, they increase HEV attenuation by little over 20%. I have supplied samples of the Retinal Bliss DES to our MDs and ODs, with great results. Standard HEV lenses only attenuate the HEV without the relaxing effect. However, I do not recommend these coatings for everyday wear, especially for driving at night, due to the attenuation of visible light. The same reason I eschew fixed tints on everyday glasses. Now, to Chris's point, you could sell a pair of readers or computer lenses with a fixed tint for less out of pocket, especially if your shop has a 2nd pair promotion. They won't attenuate HEV much, but will provide some visual comfort, as long as they won't mind a few extra minutes to fall asleep when done with their devices.

By knowing the properties of the various lenses and coatings, listening to the needs of your clients and recommending the appropriate solutions, you build clients for life, even if it means discussing something like an app. Trust is something that is earned. Brick and mortars have this unique advantage over the low cost internet providers. If we are to survive this digital age as true eyecare professionals, not just retailers, then we need to build trust with the eyeglass wearing population.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even when it's rather pointedly debunked, we're still going to promote the blue light propaganda eh? LOL

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Surely, yet the research is nascent. It will be a matter of time before a link can be established, or completely debunked. Until then, the industry will continue to debate this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have Night Shift enabled on both my iPhone and iPad and it (for me ,YMMV) does make the devices easier to use when one is tired. I kick it on at 9:45pm and have it shut down at 7:00am.

I could care less about "blue light" it does relieve eyestrain when tired.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Surely, yet the research is nascent. It will be a matter of time before a link can be established, or completely debunked. Until then, the industry will continue to debate this.
    If you check the link I listed above, I had an opportunity recently to speak to one of the researchers at length. In short the blue light debacle is the snake oil of our age. It's marketing gone wild.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Even when it's rather pointedly debunked, we're still going to promote the blue light propaganda eh? LOL
    I'm feeling a bit torn here... I want to listen to experts and I love statistics, but I will never let those things completely blind me from my own experience.

When it comes to the blue light epidemic, all I know for sure is how my eyes react to the different filters. I'm not going to not tell a patient with similar symptoms my what has worked for many people. I'm not a doctor. I'm not trying to 'treat' anyone. I'm just in the business of setting people up with the eyewear best suited to their needs. If they want something to relieve digital eyestrain I've got options.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Staying away from the damage to the retina I have been using f.lux for years to reduce blue light towards the evening. I also have daylight bulbs in my bedside lamp and have used them for years. Anyone that's meet me knows I can be up for days straight. Yes I'm an insomniac, (and a maniac ; ) I use blue light to keep my sleep schedule in line. I don't have a pair with blue light filtering but would cautiously introduce them into my life, it's taken years to figure out a good regimen and even now when I go out of town I'll sleep maybe 3-4 hours a night but when I get home my lights being on timers quickly cause me to feel the crash that's inevitable. I've mentioned before that although the link between macula changes and blue light seem to be debateable, the link between sleep deprevation and health is pretty solid. The link between blue light and sleep cycles is also pretty solid.

I need a blast of blue light in the morning and reduced levels after 6 to function my best. I use daylight bulbs on a timer aligned with my alarm clock and f.lux on my computer to adjust after 6pm.

Another caveat I do a lot of graphic design so I need to turn off any color shifting applications if I am doing any design work to prevent color distortion. Often I try to work design in the AM functionality in the PM so that work doesn't disrupt sleep. I also have backlighting on tablets and cell phones to their lowest setting, as a side benefit batteries last longer and I can ignore the negligable effects from devices. Another side benefit is by turning off the light sensor and setting backlighting to a fixed value the sensor uses no battery prolonging the battery even greater.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information