Thread: Essilor Kappa CTD - Edger error A 03 %9 and OPSYS software

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Essilor Kappa CTD - Edger error A 03 %9 and OPSYS software

I have just bought a second-hand Essilor Kappa CTD machine, manufactured in 2008. I have succesfully set up the machine and connected the Tracer and the Edger modules. The Tracer works perfectly, when performing an auto diagnosis all tests check OK. However, the Edger does not start up properly, it displays an error message: Error "A 03 %9". In the manual (attached image) it says that this is a Lens Holder movement error. The lens holder does in deed not move at all, the machine just makes a sound as if it tried to move the lens holder but it is stuck, and the lightbulb inside the lens edging chamber flickers. I also tried the steps described in the manual and when performing a diagnosis on the Edger, the Lens Holder test fails. The Grinding Wheel test also fails, although the wheel spins properly.

Is it possible that the machine had a restraining bolt fitted in order to prevent its parts moving doring transport? I could find no indications of such a bolt in the manual, does anyone know if this machine comes with such a bolt installed?

Could there be such a bolt fitted to the machine, that might cause the Lens Holder error? If so where is it located (a diagram would be great)?

I also wish to ask if someone might have a copy of the Essilor OPSYS Software Suite, required in order to connect the Tracer to a PC via a COM / Serial interface. I spent a lot of time searching for this software on the internet, but it appears that it is quite old and it is not available anywhere for downloading. I believe this software was included on a CD or floppy disk in the blue box accompanying the machine.

Does anyone have a copy of the OPSYS software for sale, or know of a website that can provide a download link?

I thank You all in advance and wish You a great weekend and Happy Easter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is usually a removable foam block placed between the wheel motor and the clamping unit for shipping. You will clearly see it though when you lift the cover. There is also a shipping bracket that keeps the wheel motor from moving left and right. Its red in color and is in front of the wheel motor. Is the lens shaft in a high position near the feelers?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank You for Your reply!

As far as I remember there was no foam block between the wheel motor and the clamping unit, and there is no visible bracket on the wheel motor. There was just a red foam band used to keep the feelers from moving (I am attaching pictures of the machine where it is visible).

The lens shaft is in a relatively high position near the feelers, as seen in the pictures. The machine came from shipping just as seen in the photos, with the cover fully open, the parts in this exact position, and this red foam band keeping the feelers apart.
    I took off the red foam band and connected the machine to the power and water supply, and when powering it on the cover closed, but the lens shaft has not moved at all, it is in the same position it was when the pictures were taken!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpeg  

Occupation
    I don't think the foam shipping block is in there or the shaft would be almost touching the feelers. You would need to lift the front cover to check though. You would need to remove 2 screws that hold the front cover down (one on each side of the edger) and then the front cover will hinge upwards.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank You for the indications, I will attempt to lift the lid and do a more thorough search as soon as I get back to the lab. I will also take some pictures of what I find there.

Does the Essilor Kappa CTD come with an immobilising / blocker bolt or bracket that keeps the lens shaft from moving during transport, or are there only foam blocks keeping it in place?

Occupation
    No there is only a foam block that keeps the lens shaft from bouncing during shipping. There is a bracket with screws that stops the wheel motor from moving left and right but that was probably not used.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks, I just went to the lab, lifted the cover of the machine, and removed the large white foam block, it was there indeed! There was also a red bracket that slides forward and backwards and kept the wheel motor from moving, I unlocked that as well.

Now the machine succesfully passes those tests, but now I get an "A 130 %8" Error when initialising (picture attached). This error is not listed in my manual, but I suspect it is related to the lens grooving mechanism.

I performed all the self-tests from the maintanance menu again, and now all of them pass, except the last one (Test T7). Doring this test the machine moves the small lens grooving wheel in place but the small disc does not spin, it appears to be stuck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try to turn it! Maybe its just stuck a little :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank You for the reply! The grooving disk was stuck indeed (it din not move freely by hand), I managed to unstuck it by turning it gently by hand until it came loose.

I have also checked the grooving and drilling unit motor assembly connection, and found that the zip connector appeared to be disconnected, and it also appeared to show signs of electrical burns or it might be grease mixed with dirt or rust (shown in attached photos), both on the flex cable and socket.

I carefully cleaned the flex cable connectors (the dirt did not come off easy and the four connector pins are oxydised) and reinserted it into the motor connector socket, then reassembled everything, but the machine still gives the same error (A 130) upon initialising and fails Test T 7 in the maintanance / Self Tests menu!

I think it might be possible that the dirt inside the socket (fourth and fifth photo) is preventing the current from passing, and I could try to clean the socket in an ultrasound bath with isopropilic alcohol or if it still does not work maybe replace the socket entirely, and also check if the motor works with an external power source, but in order to to that the wires between the grooving / drilling motor and the connector socket must be cut, so I am just leaving it as it is for the moment.

Could the grooving / drilling motor or the flex cable have a problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by OptiTehnica; 04-24-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Occupation
    Looks like the flat cable is badly corroded. Moisture has probably got into the grooving / drill motor too. I've used kappa edgers and seen similar issues with the moisture getting into the grooving motor assembly. Can you get parts from your supplier? It would not be cheap to replace the assembly I would think. Good luck with it.

Thread Information