Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which edger to use

Hello Sean

You gave a very optimistic review of the edger. in which case i would buy with closed eyes relying on the review you offered.

Right Now there is a better lens material "TRIVEX"
    Did you try cutting this material on your machine.?

Rarely it is so, that edgers has limits like BRIOT, this edger shakes when it cuts the trivex so now we send it to lab to do the trivex.

Comment

running trivex

:)
      I run trivex on the edger without any problems.........

Make sure that you process the trivex just as you would a polycarb and all will be fine...

Still in love with my new Kappa:D

Mikol
      :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Trivex............No Problem.

Unlike most edgers......the Kappa allows you to set the pressure on the lens chuck,and by doing so it will adjust the drop speed of the lens touching the edger wheels. In fact it is capable of automatically detecting a 1.0 CT and make the adjustment on it's own if need be. I have not encountered a problem with Trivex at all.:)

Comment

Hello and thanks for replying
          Now i know what to get thanks to this web site and to all who know about it.

Comment

Several months later, I have finally checked out this thread, since I am in the market for a new edger. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks!

Comment

Ruth said:
              Several months later, I have finally checked out this thread, since I am in the market for a new edger. The Kappa and the Briot Access CL have been suggested to me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist; I prefer an edger that can consistently cut jobs on axis (not just "close enough"). We do a lot of drill mounts, so axis is really critical. Anyone have any comments? Thanks!
              The blocker may be the more critical factor. Consider the Step Two.

(Shameless plug).

Comment

Ruth,
                I have not encountered any axis problems on lenses edged with the kappa. As far as 3 pc mounts , i do several of them a week and have been using a drilling system from smartlabs for the last couple of months now. It has been made to accept the blocks from the kappa system so the block stays on the lens throughout the entire edging/drilling process.The lenses come out right on the money. I am working on a review of this drill system and hope to have it completed in a bit.

Comment

Question For Mr Shanbaum.

I have recently stumbled on some kind of program glitch with Innovations. It seems that if a SV stock lens order for a nylor frame is put through the kappa without first going through Innovations (as though being a order that needs to be surfaced) the kappa just plain refuses to groove. Is this a known problem or do you know of any fix ?

Comment

Hi Sean,

I'm not familiar with Innovations, but I do know that if your stock lens, when cut, won't have a thick enough edge to support a groove, the Kappa will refuse it. I think it's a great feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth
                      Hi Sean,

I'm not familiar with Innovations, but I do know that if your stock lens, when cut, won't have a thick enough edge to support a groove, the Kappa will refuse it. I think it's a great feature.
                      Innovations is the software used for data/communication between OMA equiptment.

Thanks for the input on this :) Bt alas..it seems that any lens from stock will cut , bevel , polish, pin bevel........no groove :( But then to my surprise when i had to make a pair if prog for a nylor frame, it grooved with out a hitch. So i decided to disconnect the Kappa from inovations and run it all by it's lonesome......it grooved :shiner: Seem's as though it will only groove when told to do so when data for a nylor frame is put in for something being surfaced. I have been grooving by hand as of late because it's a real pain in the behind to stop everything to enter data for a stock lens( just to make it look like it was surfaced). My problem is not with kappa (this edger rocks).If you have any other suggestions or ideas pleas fill me in. They will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Sean, have you thought of sending this info to cousin Robert who might be able to shed some light on it?

hj
                        "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                        Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                        www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Originally posted by hcjilson
                          Sean, have you thought of sending this info to cousin Robert who might be able to shed some light on it?

hj
                          I did.............. it's about two post's above ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                            I have recently stumbled on some kind of program glitch with Innovations. It seems that if a SV stock lens order for a nylor frame is put through the kappa without first going through Innovations (as though being a order that needs to be surfaced) the kappa just plain refuses to groove. Is this a known problem or do you know of any fix ?

If an order isn't processed by Innovations - that is, all it has is a tracing - the ETYP record (that's the OMA record in which one would specify "groove") will contain a question mark, which is the "unknown data indicator" according to the OMA standard. That certainly shouldn't prevent the edger from being set to groove manually. Can the edger be set to do a flat bevel in that case? I'm sorry I can't just go test this myself, but I'm not in the office, and won't be for a few days. I'll ask someone to investigate.

Comment

Yes.........the edger can be set to do a flat bevel and completes the task. It seem's the only thing i cannot do is groove.When i manually set the edger to groove it goes through the entire edging process then when it comes time to groove the pin bevel wheel comes out then stops as it's about to come in contact whith the lens. Any input you have would be great !

Comment

Ahh, that you did, I just missed it! sorry, I'll pay better attention after I've met Ava!
                                "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                                Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                                www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Working...
                                X