Thread: Who supplies Tens lenses?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Who supplies Tens lenses?

Tens (tenslife.com) is a startup sunglasses brand that helps you "filter your world like an instagram photo". Started by photographers and invested in by Richard Branson.

They said they worked with a supplier to develop this custom lens.

Any idea who they worked with?

PS - I'm new to the industry, but have learned so much lurking this site from you all! Excited to make my first post :)

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Welcome!

I hadn't heard about this line until viewing your post, but they are intriguing. The website says that they are not polarized but mimic a specific photographers tint.

"Our signature lens is a Category 2 tinted lens featuring full UV400 protection, blocking 100% of harmful rays. Our sunglasses aren’t polarised. The reason for this is that our perfect lens tint is not possible whilst being polarised. Our lens provides a clear and balanced view filled with depth, which makes Tens very comfortable to wear whilst driving."
    -https://us.tenslife.com/pages/faq

"The scratch- and impact-resistant CR-39 plastic polymer lenses have been coated with UV400 protection, which blocks harmful UV rays, as well as a special tint inspired by digital photo filters.
    "We focused predominantly on the way the bright sunlight was filtered -- paying close attention to filling highlight colours with subtle [yellows and oranges], adding saturation in the green and blues, particularly the sky tone,"
    -https://www.cnet.com/news/sunglasses-put-a-photo-filter-on-the-real-world/

Not sure how I feel about this review... especially since they call CR-39 impact resistant. But this is also from 3 years ago.

Long story short- I don't know who makes them, but it's probably not one of the big names if they can't produce this color choice polarized.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Basically looks like a copper lens a la Serengeti. I'm not sure how I feel about this as a photographer. When I'm out shooting, I wear the most neutral grey that I can. Distorting the natural colors of the scene just doesn't sit well with me, pre or post production.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    They do look really similar, minus the transitional property. I agree- grey is my go to so that I can keep colors true. I'm also light sensitive though, so I slap on a bi-gradient mirror and backside AR.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information