Thread: Interesting to know how Vision Expo East 2017, closing this afternoon did this year.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Interesting to know how Vision Expo East 2017, closing this afternoon did this year.

Interested to know how Vision Expo East 2017, closing this afternoon did this year.

From attendance, to special products, and to "Optical Politics", as the Essilor-Luxottica merger, shown at the show.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was very busy downstairs. Saturday was the busiest day but the attendance at this show was good.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've never seen it this busy and I have attended every year for the past 10+ years. Lot's of technology and vendors were working with each other and new vendors all over. Lot's of peeks behind the curtains to see technology. I saw frames being made on the spot that people got to wear right out of the frame vendors booth, no lenses of course but it was the best expo I've attended to date.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    From a vendor perspective, Friday was busy (for a Friday), Saturday was hopping, Sunday was slow (which again is somewhat usual).

From a personal perspective, I miss the days when lens manufacturers weren't relegated "to the basement." Of the two Expos, I prefer the layout of West (and the fact that we can walk directly from our hotel to the show without going outside :^).

Most interested thing I saw at this show were some of the early attempts at 3D lens printing. The early days of digital surfacing were "cut to polish" (wow, we could eliminate fining), I believe 3D printing will get us to "cut to coat" (eventually).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    From a vendor perspective, Friday was busy (for a Friday), Saturday was hopping, Sunday was slow (which again is somewhat usual).

From a personal perspective, I miss the days when lens manufacturers weren't relegated "to the basement." Of the two Expos, I prefer the layout of West (and the fact that we can walk directly from our hotel to the show without going outside :^).

Most interested thing I saw at this show were some of the early attempts at 3D lens printing. The early days of digital surfacing were "cut to polish" (wow, we could eliminate fining), I believe 3D printing will get us to "cut to coat" (eventually).
    I saw the booth for the Belgian 3D lens printing company. I didn't think it was possible to print a lens smooth enough to use. The company representative showed me examples of the lenses they make -- mostly lenses which would be very difficult for a wholesale lab to make (e.g.: lots o' prism). Wow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I saw the booth for the Belgian 3D lens printing company. I didn't think it was possible to print a lens smooth enough to use. The company representative showed me examples of the lenses they make -- mostly lenses which would be very difficult for a wholesale lab to make (e.g.: lots o' prism). Wow.
    My understanding on 3D printed material is that it isn't smooth. Texture is gritty. Is this correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    My understanding on 3D printed material is that it isn't smooth. Texture is gritty. Is this correct?
    In this case it is not correct -- very smooth.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! Any idea how the price would be for someone ordering lenses? Did they say that it would be a lot more than a traditional lens? What about materials? (darn! I should have gone to the show to see it!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Wow! Any idea how the price would be for someone ordering lenses? Did they say that it would be a lot more than a traditional lens? What about materials? (darn! I should have gone to the show to see it!)
    They only sell to wholesale labs right now, so we didn't talk prices. The material is a 1.53, 40-something abbe value non-trivex material.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I am sorry to have missed this. My weekend at VEE was so busy, and even though it was on my calendar, I never got the chance to view the 3D lens printing. I wish now that I squeezed a few moments.

Anyway, back to the VEE crowds. Maybe it was just my experience, or maybe VEE was better managed this year. I saw that there were crowds, but I felt that last year was more hectic. i remember waiting at Schneider, Santinelli and Topcon for quite some time to speak with a rep. I did set appointments ahead of time this year, but still met with several other vendors with minimal wait times. It was a very productive weekend for me this year, as compared to last year.

And now, back to my craft Gin...

Thread Information