Thread: Accolade non-adapt problems

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Accolade non-adapt problems

Over the years I have found that patients wearing an Accolade struggle mightily moving into a different progressive. I can't say definitively that 100% have failed when trying a different design but the non-adapt to a new lens was so prevalent that now when they come in wearing an Accolade we keep them in the same lens (almost universally). Has anyone had a similar experience or can someone shed some light on what may be causing this? Thanks.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What lens design are you trying to put them in?
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There have been a wide range of lenses that have been tried. Has certainly been Comfort and Auto II. Also maybe a Physio here or there and an Ovation (which would be a mistake).

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper That is the time to make then understand ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Dah3500 View Post

I can't say definitively that 100% have failed when trying a different design but the non-adapt to a new lens was so prevalent that now when they come in wearing an Accolade we keep them in the same lens (almost universally). Has anyone had a similar experience or can someone shed some light on what may be causing this? Thanks.

Here is the iron rule of progressive lenses as it was of general knowledge years ago:

When you sell a pair of progressive to somebody in their forties, when they start needing help to read, they just love them.

2 to 3 years later they get a new pair and so on. Every time you do it, the reading area gets a little bit smaller due to the increasing reading addition.

At some point you will encounter open opposition by the patient who suddenly realizes that the reading part is no more comfortable. It is not the lens if it is properly fitted, but people when older have problems looking through the much smaller area by exactly having to look through it, with head and eyes concentrated to do so.

Older people do get more complicated as they age. Any reading addition starting at +1.75 can become a problem.
    Once you hit +2.00 additions and higher you are asking for trouble. There is no difference by the brand or make, the reading area is strongly reduced in size, due to its optical design, and due to older age the patients become impatient and complain that they do not see as they used to.

That is the time to make then understand, and sell them on a nice larger segment regular bifocal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please don't put the customer into a conventional bifocal. The Accolade is a molded design progressive and the usable area decreases with the increase in the reading add. However if you put your client into a mid to high tier free form design they will have much better luck.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    if you put your client into a mid to high tier free form design they will have much better luck.
    Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Agreed...there is a place near us that uses a ton of accolades and we have successfully switched them to free form lenses many times!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A good rule of thumb- the higher or more complicated the Rx, the more the patient will benefit from more personalized and precise lenses.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper How about selling them something that actually works and has been proven ............

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Please don't put the customer into a conventional bifocal. The Accolade is a molded design progressive and the usable area decreases with the increase in the reading add. However if you put your client into a mid to high tier free form design they will have much better luck.
    '

They will have much better luck ..............for all that money that is charged to them.

How about selling them something that actually works and has been proven over all the years ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Agreed...there is a place near us that uses a ton of accolades and we have successfully switched them to free form lenses many times!
    I use almost entirely free-form lenses and have never had a problem changing Accolade wearers to something else.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I use almost entirely free-form lenses and have never had a problem changing Accolade wearers to something else.
    Agreed, 100%. I have never had an issue going from any design to a design of my choosing, as long as the Rx is right.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Agreed as well. We are predominantly FF and have had minimal issues with the switchover. The only caveat is that Hyperopes tend to dislike compensated FF, but have no issues with uncompensated. Most of the time, it is the fit and not the actual design.

Thread Information