Thread: Raspberry Pi as Lens Shape Server?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Raspberry Pi as Lens Shape Server?

I have a Raspberry Pi at home that I use as a media server for movies and tv shows. This got me thinking about how I might use this $40 computer at work as a lens shape server. I have next to no programming experience and Im sure that if I asked this question on a Raspberry Pi board they wouldn't know what I was talking about, but I figured someone might have some ideas on where to start.

Heres the particulars:
    I would like to take lens shape information from a pattern-less edger and have that information saved on a Raspberry Pi connected to the network. Then I would like to be able to pull shapes from the Pi to my edger. Possible? Too complicated? I have a Kappa edger I would like to try this on if it were possible. I think it would be very useful to save shapes for re-edging lenses or for re-dos.

Anyway, thanks in advance if anyone has ideas or experience doing this sort of thing.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that would be great too, but is your edger networked? I have the Santinelli ME1200 and it's not networked (I bet it COULD be, they just don't want to do it), the files are stored on USB drive. I do periodically dump all the drive files onto my desktop and have a complete archive of every cut I've done for 5 years, it's very handy. When I need an old archive I find it quick with a desktop search (btw use this, best search program there is https://www.voidtools.com), copy it to the drive, and plug it back into the edger. It would be neat to network so I never have to physically move the drive and copy files, but it's a small hassle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dan, if you're using an ICE 1000 blocker you can keep all your jobs on one stick. I'm still using my original memory stick that has every job I've done over the last 5 years (thousands).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am, but it says it's full at 1000 jobs so I have to dump it on my computer and delete them from the stick. Must be a setting that needs to change. I'll look into that thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Franco at Santinelli didn't even know this trick ( He was impressed!)

Make folder "prefixes" on your Ice 1000. As example, I use the Rx invoice's last 4 digit with a prefix, like PT-1234. Ever job, until it says it's full gets the "PT" prefix ( PT-2345, PT-3456, ect) When that prefix is full start another prefix (like "PX") I'll use that prefix until it's full. Every prefix can hold 1000 jobs. What's also good is if, like me, you write each invoice number down on each patients card, you can look at the date of the org. order and know what prefix you were using at that time ( like 8-16-13). I keep a list of the dates prefixes were introduced and retired. I can recall any job I've done on this one memory stick from 2012. Let me know how it works for you.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LenSync can do this today. I am the founder.
    Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get the folder limit, and I made additional folders on the drive. I can't get the blocker to recognize the folders and their contents. I have the standard JOB_DATA and PTN_DATA, and added ARCHIVE and A_DATA. While it sees the folders on the data screen, it doesn't recognize the files in it, and on the blocking screen I don't get an option to select anything other than the JOB and PTN folders. Does yours look like this and I'm missing something?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_001.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	13219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_000 (2).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	13220

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try using a dash rather than an under score. example; PT-1234 (not PT_1234). ( note; When you go to jobs mode you cannot use a dash (-). To go to job mode (to block, just put the code # part (like 1234).

A complete job run-thru would be; Trace, go to job mode, layout and block, back to main screen, push PTN button, then enter code with prefix (PT-1234) save. Then you can recall it anytime by going back into PTN mode and enter the code you saved it as. ( PT-1234) Ever job after that will use the same prefix (PT-) until that particular folder is full.

Thread Information