Thread: Learning about the many PALs

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Learning about the many PALs

Last edited by 2020texan; 03-15-2017 at 04:45 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would try to talk to someone at a local lab or whoever you order your PALs from. Some lab reps (if you find the right one) will cut through the sales rhetoric and explain the technical details of the lenses/coatings.

The other option is to ask your Essilor lens reps directly. They probably won't know the answers, but if you bug them enough they may get you in touch with someone who does. Incidentally, I'm just one state up from you, so I probably know your reps. If they can't help you send me a PM and I can get you in contact with someone who can answer your questions, or at least point you in the right direction.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When I first moved from a big-box retail optical to a private practice, I was a bit lost, suddenly tossed into this big world of PALs that I'd barely heard of. The account manager from our lab turned out to be a huge asset. He was very understanding about my ignorance, and took me out for a business lunch one day, where we sat at a table in Pizza Hut with notebooks and various other materials, and he gave me a crash course in Varilux and Shamir lenses. The personnel at the lab were terrific, as well, and were willing to answer any questions whenever I called, which was usually multiple times per day (no kidding). The personnel at the lab where I work now are just as helpful. They have proven to be my greatest resource.

Thread Information