Thread: Davis Vision Labs

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision Labs

So our office recently got assigned to the "New" Davis Vision lab in San Antonio. The work has been pretty much what we have come to expect from davis, hit or miss. The only exception has been drill work. We only offer Silhouette for drill mounts. I can honestly say that we haven't received a single drill mount job back that has been acceptable the first try. This is bad even by Davis Vision standards. So my question is this. Has anyone successfully switched from one Davis lab to another? Is anyone else having problems with drill work being sent to San Antonio? I talked to Davis just a minute ago and they want me to send in a fax on company letterhead with specific examples and even then their is no guarantee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    So our office recently got assigned to the "New" Davis Vision lab in San Antonio. The work has been pretty much what we have come to expect from davis, hit or miss. The only exception has been drill work. We only offer Silhouette for drill mounts. I can honestly say that we haven't received a single drill mount job back that has been acceptable the first try. This is bad even by Davis Vision standards. So my question is this. Has anyone successfully switched from one Davis lab to another? Is anyone else having problems with drill work being sent to San Antonio? I talked to Davis just a minute ago and they want me to send in a fax on company letterhead with specific examples and even then their is no guarantee.
    I read these posts on a regular basis. It seems like collusion to me .

My question is are independents not able to assemble some sort of buying group or insurance group where you can compete on these dictator type contracts and control your own destiny and quality?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is possible but very hard to pull off and then keep the labs separate. It's been over a decade for us since we switched our drills (and like you we only use Silhouette) from the Philadelphia lab to the Plainview lab. It took several phone calls and levels of appeal to get the switch. So, keep trying and hope you get a sympathetic person. Now, we had an advantage because at the time the Philadelphia lab had to outsource their drills to Plainview because they did not have the equipment. However, I will warn you it is going to feel like you're banging your head against a wall (but this is Davis so that's normal).

One thing you can try to do is get shipping labels for the lab you want to use. A lot of the time the lab that 1st touches it will do the lab work (which will be related to my 3rd point)

One thing to warn you, should you get the 2nd lab for drill, be prepared to have to keep arguing to keep it. It happens about every year where all of a sudden the lab status for all of our drill jobs is showing up for both the Philadelphia and Plainview labs. And we'll go through a period of time, until we have to order shipping labels again, where we have to explain that we're an exception and it will be fine for another year. During the time before I order more labels, I send that lab work to Plainview, they complete the job, then Philadelphia complains they didn't get the frame and I have to tell them that it was completed at Plainview.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    It is possible but very hard to pull off and then keep the labs separate. It's been over a decade for us since we switched our drills (and like you we only use Silhouette) from the Philadelphia lab to the Plainview lab. It took several phone calls and levels of appeal to get the switch. So, keep trying and hope you get a sympathetic person. Now, we had an advantage because at the time the Philadelphia lab had to outsource their drills to Plainview because they did not have the equipment. However, I will warn you it is going to feel like you're banging your head against a wall (but this is Davis so that's normal).

One thing you can try to do is get shipping labels for the lab you want to use. A lot of the time the lab that 1st touches it will do the lab work (which will be related to my 3rd point)

One thing to warn you, should you get the 2nd lab for drill, be prepared to have to keep arguing to keep it. It happens about every year where all of a sudden the lab status for all of our drill jobs is showing up for both the Philadelphia and Plainview labs. And we'll go through a period of time, until we have to order shipping labels again, where we have to explain that we're an exception and it will be fine for another year. During the time before I order more labels, I send that lab work to Plainview, they complete the job, then Philadelphia complains they didn't get the frame and I have to tell them that it was completed at Plainview.
    This was very helpful thank you!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've never seen a drill job from a Davis lab that was acceptable. I actively dissuade my Davis patients from Silhouettes.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information