Thread: Article: Why More Firstborn Kids Need Glasses

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Article: Why More Firstborn Kids Need Glasses

After controlling for age and sex, the researchers saw that first children were about 12% more likely to be nearsighted than second children. This was similar to the finding of the earlier study with younger subjects. Firstborns were also 21% likelier than second-borns to have severe myopia. And when compared to people born fourth or later, firstborns were almost 40% more likely to be nearsighted. (The researchers counted only children as firstborns too, but the results were the same when they removed only children from the analysis.)
    What do you think?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/in.../#.WLS0QRIrJR5

FWIW, I'm the oldest of four children and I'm the only myope.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, I'm the oldest of three boys and (prior to LASIK 16 years ago) I am a -4.75 sph myope. Other than a bit of astigmatism for the youngest sibling, both my brothers are emmetropes... I'm also the only one of the three of us to complete college, so the article's assumption on that factor is also true in my particular case.

The causal factors of myopia make for a fascinating study (at least for me). Here's a link to a paper on the relationship between exposure to sunlight and the development of myopia I recently read- interesting stuff: http://www.pointsdevue.com/sites/def...utm_medium=PDF
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Well, I'm the oldest of three boys and (prior to LASIK 16 years ago) I am a -4.75 sph myope. Other than a bit of astigmatism for the youngest sibling, both my brothers are emmetropes... I'm also the only one of the three of us to complete college, so the article's assumption on that factor is also true in my particular case.
    I forgot to mention that I'm also the only sibling with a college degree.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I had heard of the "First Born Theory" before. but I had no idea it had good data behind it. I'll be interested to find out if they can unravel the last part of it that is currently unknown, once differences in education are subtracted.

Also first born, also a myope, brother is also a myope, equally educated, but my myopia presented very early in childhood, his didn't hit until after college. Mine is also much worse than his. He's only ~ -1.50, I'm -4.50. We're twins, so that makes it ever more interesting. I've be interested to see a twin study, does the "first born" hypothesis hold up with twins?
    Last edited by Lelarep; 02-28-2017 at 11:21 AM.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Interesting question about twins... Assuming most of the differences are due to the difference in experiences between first and later borns (nurture), vs. actual biological differences between first and later borns (nature), I would guess the differences with twins are going to be negligible.
    [Side note- I really like that term "later borns," I'll have to start using that when addressing my brothers- after all, I spent most of our childhood convincing them that they were adopted.]

Personally, I think for most individuals the progression of myopia is primarily influenced by environment/activities. If I recall correctly, there were actually studies in Japan that indicated during WWII (when schoolwork was suspended) incidence of myopia dropped. Then, after WWII (school resumed) myopia levels rose back to previous levels (I think that study was referenced in Borish's Clinical Refraction, it's been decades since I read it but it obviously stuck with me).

The idea that exposure to blue light decreases progression of myopia (which is suggested by the study at the link I posted earlier) makes sense, optically speaking. In the old days, if you were a book worm who spent all day inside reading, you only saw incandescent light- which is skewed toward red. Even in an emmetropic eye, red light is focused slightly behind the retina- and it is not hard to imagine there is a biological mechanism that would cause the eye to elongate to create better focus. Blue light has a shorter focal length, so there's no/less of a signal to elongate. Just a thought...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My family of eight kids is exactly the opposite. The oldest four never needed correction for distance, the younger four all do.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Interesting. I'm my parents' only biological child and a myope; my adopted brother, who was the elder of two siblings, has 20/10 vision, although his biological father is a lifelong myope.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if the "play outside" to avoid myopia progression applies, as the oldest child doesn't have a playmate.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just throwing another anecdote out there:

Youngest of four brothers, I played outside until the Super Nintendo came out when I was nine. Between that and the Internet showing up in people's homes, my vision dropped dramatically (I'm now -3.75 OU with minor cyl) around age 9-11, while all three of my brothers get on just fine with no correction. They're 5, 7, and 8 years my senior, respectively, so they were too old to spend the volume of time looking at bright low-resolution screens that I was. Education-wise, I was the only one to actually finish high school, so even that's a reversal. So it's kind of funny that the outdoor play part applies quite well, but with a complete reversal of the chronology!
    Last edited by gaspoweredrobot; 03-01-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Thread Information