BMEC
    Versace
    Many Private Labels
    Charmant (Elle, AB, Titaniums)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Very nice.

Trying A&A's Jimmy Crystal. The Croc's didn't go, surprisingly.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspoweredrobot View Post
    Did you also overhaul your showroom, practice interior, etc? Setting the tone of your showroom can often influence what "environment" the patient finds themselves in, and has some sway on their choices. You would expect different types of frames to sell in places that look like Lenscrafters as opposed to a place that looks like a ritzy lounge or something like that, you know?
    Both practices are in the same office park. Same architecture, same basic color schemes, same frame boards. I've never seen two dispensaries so cosmetically similar. Radically different clienteles. I attribute it to the fact that both doctors have long-running practices that were once in different locations.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am going to assume you have Rayban?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, but not specifically for the ladies. We have a few styles that have appropriate coloring.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Help, Trying to locate a silicone alternative to the silhouette nose pads. No luck with the manufacturer. Patient is allergic et the standard nose pads. Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Tiffany, DG, and lower Polo and Armani lines. you get a good bang for the buck!
    doc, your making the classic mistake a lot of opticians do, what the hell do you want to sell the same thing as everyone else, it does not separate you from them, then its just a matter of who has the better price for the same garbage.

go to the trade shows, its well worth the expense, and look at all the vendors you probably never heard of, especially some of the german companies. now buy those items instead, that way you have something no one else does. when people ask you about yours compared to the competitors, you say mine is bettter, and then point out why.

i learned this lesson from a little old jewish guy that had a jewelry shop across the street from me. he came over one day and said saake, in 1945 i was selling watch crystals for 25 cents, guy down the street was selling watch crystals for 15 cents. people would come in and say hey mintz, why your crystals 25 cents when ledfords are 15 cents, i would tell them , mine are better, austrian xtal, i,m still in business they are not

so that s what i did from then on and sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of frames from a little store that was 432 sq feet. i had no competition, and the best part, these type of vendors didnt go all over the town telling your business to the other opticians, because they didnt go all over town, after the initial contact at the show, it was all phone and mail.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Tough request there drk..............................

Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post

Tough request there drk.
    As we all should know, what moves in your market will grow moss in mine. But its still interesting to see how many people, looking to be helpful, make suggestions without knowing your market.

So far the best and most logic answer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safilo has Kate Spade and Marchon Chloe. Kate Spade is good with younger women and they come in small sizes which is rare. Chloe is more elegant and a bigger frame. Both designers are very popular in our practice.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by gccrafty View Post
    Help, Trying to locate a silicone alternative to the silhouette nose pads. No luck with the manufacturer. Patient is allergic et the standard nose pads. Thanks
    Did you try Silhouette nosepad SP100 which is a softer material than our standard SP96 pad? The SP100 can be ordered through Customer Service.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr K have you tried Charmant's AWEAR collection? They made out of a proprietary material whose main ingredient is fruit juice. Crazy, super light and extremely durable. I bought 3 of them about 3 years ago because the seemed like they would fall apart, I've never had a breakage on them once. People love that they are super lightweight and a lot of titanium only folks switch to them. The rep convinced me I should buy more 5 months ago because I had been selling them, I thought it was overkill but now I only have 2 of the 15 I bought left, sunglasses sell great too.

They don't have as many coloration and texture abilities as Zyl, but are much nicer than TR90 if you ask me. Old hippies and Conservative Farmers alike enjoy the fact that they are made out of fruit juice lol.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've been out of the frame buying market way too long to comment on any list, but I have to put in a plug for a manufacturer that appeared in our office's dispensary a couple years ago. I now have 4 of them and almost never fail to receive compliments on them (I've had flight attendants, waiters, and even people standing in line with me at the grocery store ask me where I got my glasses)... Also, they aren't all that expensive.

The brand is iGreen (no financial interest in the company, and no- Essilor doesn't own them- just love their product :^). If you're at Vision Expo look them up. They have a line that uses a groove mount (but it's a full plastic frame- just really thin). You can literally get it in 100+ colors/patterns, and the temples (which are also available in 100+ colors) are interchangeable, so if you have 3 pair of frames and 3 temples, you can get like 9 different looks (if my math serves me correctly :^). They're also super light. I won't post a link (not sure if that's permitted), but of the two dozen or so glasses I own, I probably wear my iGreens 75% of the time.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information