Thread: Kappa Edger system issue with blocker.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Kappa Edger system issue with blocker.

I have searched to see if this issue has been discussed before and come up empty handed.

I recently have started working at a practice where they have a Kappa Edger/Blocker. I have experience with a Spartan, Santinelli 7070, Santinelli LEX1000, and Optronics 7E. The edger works like a dream and I love using it so far; however, my issue is with the blocker. When I put a dotted lens in the blocker its pretty hit or miss if I'm going to be able to see the dots. Some dots stand out fine and I can easily block the lens with no issue. However sometimes I just cant make out the lensometer dots, and if I hand dot a progressive lens forget it the lens becomes unblockable.

I've tried using a different color marker (red or black), I've tried fiddling with the screen contrast and brightness, I've tried cleaning the lens of any errant marks or dust specks, I've tried smaller and larger dots, and I've tried cleaning the blocking surface (where the lens rests) and the camera lens. All to no avail, so far none of these things have improved my ability to see lens markings or dots on the blocker screen. I've also looked in the manual, but as far as I can tell It really doesn't reference this aspect of the blocker, or how one might troubleshoot it. If anyone has had this issue and resolved it or has any tips or tricks to get it to do what I need I will be forever grateful.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had a similar issue and tried white ink pen...problem fixed. Check your local office supply store and test for yourself. If it works you can order lens marking pen from Hilco as the ink is easier to remove rather than a paint type pen or switch lensometer ink to white.

https://www.hilcovision.com/f/lens-marking-pens
    Last edited by PRECISIONLAB; 02-24-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Echo the white marker. The Poscas are what we use. It's been a while since I've looked. You can find packs of them cheap imported from Japan on Amazon. I think Stormin Norman had the best price the last time I looked.
    Oh, watch that blocker: more than any blocker I've used it likes to hold onto the block and pick up the whole lens. I'm sure there's a way to fix this, but priorities.

And keep the tracer clean!

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the tip. I picked up a white paint marker to try out next time I work.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Thread Information