Thread: Best Lens Material

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Best Lens Material

What would be the best lens material to reduce computer glare? Along with an AR coating are there any other recommended coatings/tints?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper No AR coating needed for this purpose............................

Quote Originally Posted by nn_97 View Post

What would be the best lens material to reduce computer glare? Along with an AR coating are there any other recommended coatings/tints?

Normal CR39 material is good enough and no AR coating needed for this purpose. A pink or brownish tint at 25% absorption will do the trick, and make computer viewing more comfortable.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great thanks, will CR39 still be suitable even though the prescription is +3.50/-0.75x180 in right eye and +3.75 in left eye?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_97 View Post
    Great thanks, will CR39 still be suitable even though the prescription is +3.50/-0.75x180 in right eye and +3.75 in left eye?
    No you have to go with hilite crown glass!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are an optometrist!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    AR will help much more than any tint will to reduce glare on the surfaces of your lens. And CR39 lenses could be very thick and heavy in that RX unless you're working with a pretty small frame. Do you not have an optician at your practice with whom you can consult on these questions?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation

Blue Jumper More comfort....................less fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

AR will help much more than any tint will to reduce glare on the surfaces of your lens. And CR39 lenses could be very thick and heavy in that RX unless you're working with a pretty small frame.

When I work on the computer 10 hours plus per day, I want comfort...........................

AR transmits more light, I want and need less of it.............................,

The color will smoothen the appearance of the computer screen and absorb some of the emitted blue light.

More comfort....................less fatigue, is what I want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AR.

NOT tint. That's insane frankly.

If you need to alter the brightness, contrast, or color cast (less blue) for you particular monitor(s), there are these great little inventions some person made years ago. They're called buttons! And they magically alter every possible aspect of your monitor(s) - for your viewing pleasure. :) FAR more adjustable than a tint will ever be. And you will absolutely want that extra light transmission in low light/dark scenarios.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    If you are an optometrist!
    I've never seen an Rx with a forward slash after the sphere power.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper AR. NOT tint. ..................That's insane frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

AR.

NOT tint. That's insane frankly.

If you need to alter the brightness, contrast, or color cast (less blue) for you particular monitor(s), there are these great little inventions some person made years ago. They're called buttons! And they magically alter every possible aspect of your monitor(s) - for your viewing pleasure. :) FAR more adjustable than a tint will ever be. And you will absolutely want that extra light transmission in low light/dark scenarios.

..............working 10 hours on the computer out of 24 every day, I believe that I have learned what's best for me.

I do not have to sell glasses for a living, so I do not have to worry about pushing the most expensive coatings. I can simply do what I believe is best for me.

I love to have a bright room, a very bright screen for work on the computer and when needed, I can easily dampen the bright light with my glasses according to the time of the day or night, as well as the colour wanted.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ..............working 10 hours on the computer out of 24 every day, I believe that I have learned what's best for me.

I do not have to sell glasses for a living, so I do not have to worry about pushing the most expensive coatings. I can simply do what I believe is best for me.

I love to have a bright room, a very bright screen for work on the computer and when needed, I can easily dampen the bright light with my glasses according to the time of the day or night, as well as the colour wanted.
    You have to do what's comfortable for you, of course, but I haven't seen tints recommended for computer use since the '80s. The early '80s. Tints increase a lens's opacity, which increases the reflections on the front and backside of the lens. Now you have light being emitted from the screen plus you have more defined reflections from the screen on the front side plus more reflections from environmental lighting on the back side. Your insistence on a very bright room and very bright monitor is insistence on the most eyestrain-causing environment possible.

Once again, the insistence that we are "pushing the most expensive coatings" by recommending anti-reflective coatings is complete and utter nonsense. The science is clear, and has been for decades, and every optical professional with whom I've ever discussed the issue, except one, knows this.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Let's not feed the consumer, no? They're like cats. One gets some, the rest are encouraged to try.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 02-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, there are no "optometrists" in the UK...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information