Thread: doomsday clock for progressive lenses is set for 3 years

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

doomsday clock for progressive lenses is set for 3 years

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That actually looks like a doomsday clock for all glasses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Were progressive lenses the end of Flat Tops?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    ..............and maybe they will install it right into the eye after the cataract is removed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember empower by pixel?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cool

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post

Not Really. There will be different brands and claims about one being better...blah....blah....blah
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I wasn't impressed until the part about putting you Rx in via smartphone. You could change your Rx everyday or switch back and forth from Pal (Empower I know...) but I think about people like diabetics that could really benefit from being able to tweak their eyes to match whatever fluctuation they might be going trough. It's certainly not the end of glasses, but I think there is a place in the world for this tech.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think most people will get fustrated that you have to charge them, If you forget to plug it in the charger and the glasses battery is depleted when you need them youre stuck without your glasses and that would put a delay on your whole day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I wasn't impressed until the part about putting you Rx in via smartphone. You could change your Rx everyday or switch back and forth from Pal (Empower I know...) but I think about people like diabetics that could really benefit from being able to tweak their eyes to match whatever fluctuation they might be going trough. It's certainly not the end of glasses, but I think there is a place in the world for this tech.
    Quince, after giving it some thought when reading your your astute glimpse into the potential demand, I'm less impressed with the whole idea. I try to deter uncontrolled diabetics from sinking real money into specs until after their Diabetes is under control. With this potential tech, the raging diabetic has less incentive to get the diet and medication under control. All this in addition to the DIYers who will simply make up their own Rx's instead of going to an eye doctor. This is a disservice not just to the neurotic tweakers who think they self-refract better than their doc, but the general population who needs eye docs to be the gatekeepers for the sake of ocular health.

I agree with you it has possibilities in a world still safeguarding good medical care--but I hope it stays big, clunky, ugly, and expensive so it's not a detriment to population health with naught but a quick & easy hack.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Quince, after giving it some thought when reading your your astute glimpse into the potential demand, I'm less impressed with the whole idea. I try to deter uncontrolled diabetics from sinking real money into specs until after their Diabetes is under control. With this potential tech, the raging diabetic has less incentive to get the diet and medication under control. All this in addition to the DIYers who will simply make up their own Rx's instead of going to an eye doctor. This is a disservice not just to the neurotic tweakers who think they self-refract better than their doc, but the general population who needs eye docs to be the gatekeepers for the sake of ocular health. I agree with you it has possibilities in a world still safeguarding good medical care--but I hope it stays big, clunky, ugly, and expensive so it's not a detriment to population health with naught but a quick & easy hack.
    Agreed

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Quince, after giving it some thought when reading your your astute glimpse into the potential demand, I'm less impressed with the whole idea. I try to deter uncontrolled diabetics from sinking real money into specs until after their Diabetes is under control. With this potential tech, the raging diabetic has less incentive to get the diet and medication under control. All this in addition to the DIYers who will simply make up their own Rx's instead of going to an eye doctor. This is a disservice not just to the neurotic tweakers who think they self-refract better than their doc, but the general population who needs eye docs to be the gatekeepers for the sake of ocular health.

I agree with you it has possibilities in a world still safeguarding good medical care--but I hope it stays big, clunky, ugly, and expensive so it's not a detriment to population health with naught but a quick & easy hack.

I appreciate the feedback. Diabetes is something I do not claim to have an understanding of, but was looking for an example of a case where there would be fluctuation. I can understand how being able to adjust an Rx could be counter-productive, but I was thinking of scenarios where people are expecting Rx changes, sometimes very frequently, and therefore become hesitant to fill their Rx at all. Maybe pregnancy would have been a better example?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting technology, but Novartis just purchased a start-up that is in stage 2 trials for an eye drop to end presbyopia. Perhaps another option to end multifocals. WP must be delirious about this.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Yup. Discussed here in early 2000's. Probably another 10 to 20 years I think.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ll=1#post47710

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Interesting technology, but Novartis just purchased a start-up that is in stage 2 trials for an eye drop to end presbyopia.
    Retinax 5™.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Retinax 5™.
    Local stories are indicating 3-5 years. We shall see what happens. Wonder if it will also soften implants for the post cataract crowd.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Retinax 5™.
    Some people will still have Retinax allergies that will require antique reading glasses. So we will still exist, albeit in a niche role, primarily to provide enigmatic birthday gifts for senior Starfleet personnel.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Am I the only one who sometimes longs for a day of "Will that be paper or plastic for your order?".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Local stories are indicating 3-5 years. We shall see what happens. Wonder if it will also soften implants for the post cataract crowd.
    Mick,

10 to 20 years for adaptive/electroactive-like lenses, not the EV06 (lipoic acid choline ester 1.5%) drops.

It will be interesting to see how much reversal of the aging process occurs with extended use. The 90 day trial shows about one line for roughly 80%, and two lines for about 50%. It will have to do a lot better than that before I could lose my add completely. More likely it might delay the onset of presbyopia, hopefully requiring only lower adds (+1.00 to +1.50) for the older folks. Phase 3 is in 2018.

Also watch for whether this can also halt or reverse cataracts, primarily the nuclear type.

http://www.slideshare.net/Healthegy/...-encore-vision

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Some people will still have Retinax allergies that will require antique reading glasses. So we will still exist, albeit in a niche role, primarily to provide enigmatic birthday gifts for senior Starfleet personnel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Right after I started in 'Jan '73 I had a fellow lens grinder tell me that glasses would be obsolete in 5 years. The Russians had a turntable with operating tables where they were doing eye surgery.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper the frames are again in full fashion ................................

I am one of the post catarcat crowd ..................

Having kept all my glasses I have ever had and used from the times I had my frame company and my wholesale lab, I use now the oldest and simplest ones I have among about 60 pairs I saved over time.

The multifocals work perfectly and the frames are again in full fashion, and the quality is a heck better than what you can get today.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am so happy that i am near the end of my career . Basically 2 or 3 years left working for the people who bought my practice

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't quit your day job quite yet. I was still using CRTs into the early 21st century. The video below was from the mid 1950's!

Thread Information