Thread: Is this a good (sneaky) idea?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Is this a good (sneaky) idea?

OK, say you want a computer lens, and you want it cheap.

How about you use one of those "accommodative aid" lenses (like EyeZen...ooooohhhhmmmm)(or Essilor Anti-fatigue...great branding there)(or any number of house designs) that give a ~+0.75 add, and you make it in SVNO form, but you cut the distance portion +0.75?

I.e., patient plano OU +1.25 add.

So you do:
    Distance portion: +0.50
    Near portion ("near boost" or "reading karma" or whatever markety thing they call it) +0.75 add for total near power of +1.25.

Advantage: Not very expensive.
    Disadvantage: Probably a small near zone.

What...say...you...opticians of the world?
    Last edited by drk; 01-27-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not just use an IOT office lens? They are pretty durn affordable - i get a lot of wows from them too (more than a lot of super fancy progressives!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do this all the time drk, when adds are low enough. Works great. I like the Eyezen (just ordered a pair for myself, looking forward to them), prior to that was successful with Shamir Relax too. The old Anti-Fatigue seemed to cause problems, surprisingly many non-adapts to the swim (it was only 0.6D, how can it be that bad especially just sitting at the computer?).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    What you suggest is done here all the time.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are just copying me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im not so familiar with the eyezen, is it really that much better/cheaper than using a true office design? Or a crappy freeform PAL with intermediate on the top?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm not a big fan of Eyezen, because it has the "Blue Filtering" built in, and I just don't believe in promoting the use of something that I think is complete nonsense.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    OK, say you want a computer lens, and you want it cheap.

How about you use one of those "accommodative aid" lenses (like EyeZen...ooooohhhhmmmm)(or Essilor Anti-fatigue...great branding there)(or any number of house designs) that give a ~+0.75 add, and you make it in SVNO form, but you cut the distance portion +0.75?

I.e., patient plano OU +1.25 add.

So you do:
    Distance portion: +0.50
    Near portion ("near boost" or "reading karma" or whatever markety thing they call it) +0.75 add for total near power of +1.25.

Advantage: Not very expensive.
    Disadvantage: Probably a small near zone.

What...say...you...opticians of the world?
    Near Variable lenses can be made using traditional PALS like you mention and in some cases will work great even better than the actual versions. Here's the kicker, in a situation where a near variable lens is used the design has an assumption built in that the near portion should be as wide as possible, the corridor shouldn't narrow and the top portion should be where compromise is pushed. Traditional PALS usually make a different assumption, the top is wide or panoramic while the near is as wide as possible with most the compromise pushed to the corridor narrowing the design. The thing is we all value different things and picking the right lens is going to be subjective. The majority of people purchasing a NVF lens will like the NVF assumptions. They will accept the PAL as a workaround and due to the low add nature the differences can be negligable, anyway IMHO knowing their is no magic bullet no right/wrong choice exists just a number of choices in your toolbelt and the knowledge on how to use those tools.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Im not so familiar with the eyezen, is it really that much better/cheaper than using a true office design? Or a crappy freeform PAL with intermediate on the top?
    Eyezen is like the IOT Accomoda, but with the additional Essilor price tag.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Eyezen, because it has the "Blue Filtering" built in, and I just don't believe in promoting the use of something that I think is complete nonsense.
    We all need HEV for sleep regulation and Vitamin D production. And like anything, too much is not good for you. We are exposed to HEV in most everything we do now, not just being outside. Tablets, PEVs, LED TVs, Monitors, Lights at work/school/stores/Cars/even home. But what is the tipping point? How much is too much? There is no definitive agreement about the HEV spectrum and the amount of screentime that contributes to the decline of eye health, however, there is agreement that excessive exposure to HEV is not good for you.

For some like yourself, and even myself, it is difficult to suggest products like Eyezen, Prevencia, Blue Protect, etc, without a white paper that proves "light from Xnm to Ynm is harmful for these reasons, direct screentime for x hours or a cumulative daily screentime of x hours for these reasons, etc". There are white papers from Essilor and Zeiss, I have not seen the others, that do provide the Xnm to Ynm. However, they do not agree on the X and Y. They do agree on the health risks to the circadian rhythm and related risk to the eye. However they do not agree on the influence or scale of direct or cumulative screentime.

If a patient spends a majority of their day on their computer(s), I would not hesitate to suggest a computer pair with HEV protection, either a coating or embedded. When it comes to HEV for general purpose, this is where I hesitate. I really need that white paper from a source outside the lens industry to be comfortable recommending this add-on for general purpose wear. Until then, Transitions/PhotoFusion/ReacTint/Sensity, etc does a fine job at filtering HEV, so that is what I lean towards.

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love my Eyezen. I have no distortion and a have no complaints about the amount of reading area. We charge the same as we do for poly on top of SV. Great for budding presbyopes. The blue filtering is not a huge selling point for me, only the reading boost. I've fit quite a few children in it as as well.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am a huge advocate for anti-fatigues. I have worn Sync, Eyezen, and Accomida. Accomida is my fave because it is the only option for an actual +0.75, which is what I am prescribed. From what I can tell, the Essilor AF and Eyezen are the same thing- only the EZ is digitally processed. I don't like that they assume by age that they know what power boost you need.

As for swim; the best thing you can do for your patient is to get as close to the actual add power they need. If you have someone with a +0.75 and are putting them in the Sync 8, it will be to strong just as Eyezen 2 will be too weak.

More than anything, I think these are all wonderful options as Pal training wheels and young people with eyestrain from computer/ reading.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information