Thread: Vision Works Private label progressive?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Vision Works Private label progressive?

Got a patient that insists that vision works progressive best she ever had for peripheral. Called Vision Works and they said propriatary design.

Anyone know what design/brand it probably is?

Thanks

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would say that by law, they likely must disclose all medical information about the patient and their glasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There was a thread on here where an employee said what it was (because he was having such trouble with it) I forget what the thread was called though...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VW uses cheap stuff. Maybe IOT or Augen. (Augen has super cheap click fees). Probably anything you give her will be comparable or better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I vote for Augen also. I actually think that is what it is.

Another one many places use is the Essilor Brilenz

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Problem I have is that she says the Vision Works progressive was the best progressive she ever had for side vision.

No matter what I do it probably wont compare, so will probably send her back unless I know what it was

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Problem I have is that she says the Vision Works progressive was the best progressive she ever had for side vision.

No matter what I do it probably wont compare, so will probably send her back unless I know what it was
    Use the auto II or an IOT alpha design based lens it will work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this is Davis patient and you are a provider the order entry will tell you what it is!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    thanks all.

Told this VSP patient that the lens was proprietary, and tried to send her back. No Go. Suddenly old lens wasnt that great.

Never heard of any of the lenses you folks suggested.

Did Physio. Although who knows how long we can do that we VSP patients with the Essilor/Lux merger.

thanks again,

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would guess that the lenses from VisionWorks had great periphery because they were fit extremely low in the frame. This is the staple of low end retail with untrained opticians fitting cheap lenses. This will lead to the exclamation of "wow this is great distance vision with no distortion." But, also lead to "I didn't like the lenses because the reading was next to impossible to use."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Kwill--brilliant

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I would guess that the lenses from VisionWorks had great periphery because they were fit extremely low in the frame. This is the staple of low end retail with untrained opticians fitting cheap lenses. This will lead to the exclamation of "wow this is great distance vision with no distortion." But, also lead to "I didn't like the lenses because the reading was next to impossible to use."
    Yes!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depending on the Rx, If the lens was an optimized digital lens based on CoR, fitting low can make the lens seem more distorted in all areas. Improperly measured digitals are the main reason for non-adapt in these designs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Depending on the Rx, If the lens was an optimized digital lens based on CoR, fitting low can make the lens seem more distorted in all areas. Improperly measured digitals are the main reason for non-adapt in these designs.
    Truth. We get non adapts quite often requesting a molded PAL b/c the optician can't properly fit freeform and/or cannot understand when and when not to recommend compensated designs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fit them in compact ultras and drop the seg to the bottom of the pupil! (shudders from some "training" during younger days.)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Fit them in compact ultras and drop the seg to the bottom of the pupil! (shudders from some "training" during younger days.)
    Ha! What about 'take the PD and add 1, it will help with the near'?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Ha! What about 'take the PD and add 1, it will help with the near'?
    Wha?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a new optician, who started working with an independent starting a month ago. From my experience, from working at America's Best *thank goodness I am free* they are probably using a progressive with smaller corridor of view if that makes any sense...
    RUN!! IT'S THE POLYMONSTER!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I would say that by law, they likely must disclose all medical information about the patient and their glasses.
    My question to your statement is, what is "medical" about a material design or device? A cataract is a medical condition, is the IOL is a medical device or a material device?
    Just playing devils advocate here, you know how insurance like to separate "medical procedures/conditions" and "material devices" just like they separate the "refraction" and call it a mechanical processes.
    Frankly I myself perceive contacts and glasses as medical devices. I also see this as splitting hairs when one has nothing else to do.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper distorted parts of progressive lenses get larger as the addition increases, .........

Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post

Got a patient that insists that vision works progressive best she ever had for peripheral. Called Vision Works and they said propriatary design.

Anyone know what design/brand it probably is?

On new progressives the Rx has usually been changed for a higher addition as the patient ages.

The distorted parts of progressive lenses get larger as the addition increases, due to the law of physics. No manufacturer can change that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    My question to your statement is, what is "medical" about a material design or device? A cataract is a medical condition, is the IOL is a medical device or a material device?
    Just playing devils advocate here, you know how insurance like to separate "medical procedures/conditions" and "material devices" just like they separate the "refraction" and call it a mechanical processes.
    Frankly I myself perceive contacts and glasses as medical devices. I also see this as splitting hairs when one has nothing else to do.
    In our state, NY, any information taken on a patient by a licensed professional would be considered medical information. This would include, but is not limited to, refractions, exam findings, treatment modalities, eyeglass measurements, hearing aids....you name it. If push came to shove, the State Attorney General would make you release it.

Now the example of brand of progressive may seem a bit far fetched, but that patient has the right to know what it is. No one is allowed to hide behind the cloak of "proprietary" when it comes to healthcare information.

Thread Information