Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " Copay" on warranties

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do not charge a warranty copay. This includes the 1 time, no questions asked.. including if the dog chewed them, replacement. However our pricing is such that we have this already built in. The "value packages" do not include the no questions asked policy unless they specifically pay for it.

The frames we have that are covered in full by VSP are either ones purchased at a great enough discount that we can still support the program, or from vendors/reps who are willing to help make this happen. We also do not pay shipping on most of our frame purchases.

We do self warrant on many frames, including our value line.

Some days I worry that we are pricing ourselves out of the frame market, since we are higher than most. However when I explain our liberal policies, most patients still appreciate paying that extra for the service and convenience. Its rarely used, but when it is, it offers a fantastic savings to them.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    We do not charge a warranty copay. This includes the 1 time, no questions asked.. including if the dog chewed them, replacement. However our pricing is such that we have this already built in. The "value packages" do not include the no questions asked policy unless they specifically pay for it.

The frames we have that are covered in full by VSP are either ones purchased at a great enough discount that we can still support the program, or from vendors/reps who are willing to help make this happen. We also do not pay shipping on most of our frame purchases.

We do self warrant on many frames, including our value line.

Some days I worry that we are pricing ourselves out of the frame market, since we are higher than most. However when I explain our liberal policies, most patients still appreciate paying that extra for the service and convenience. Its rarely used, but when it is, it offers a fantastic savings to them.
    ...which brings up an excellent point: there are frame vendors/reps out there who compete on service. Stress-free, no-questions-asked warranties. If that's the business you want to project, simply deal with the vendor who makes it happen.

So far this thread discussion suggests the "insurance" model is incompatible with the "private pay" model. I agree with Jubilee, I don't really have to pay attention when it comes to warranty policy. (Fortunately I don't do "value packages," so the policy is uniform.) Are my frames priced higher than elsewhere? Perhaps a bit. But I'm not competing for the nickel-and-dimers because I don't have to. So when customers have an issue, I don't have to nickel-and-dime them back. Nor do I have to inquisition them or forensically analyze the damage, either (other than for my own amusement.)

If I was really locked into low-margin/high volume, I'd probably have to apply a warranty copay to restore customer incentives in the right direction. There's nothing unfair about doing so. I just think there must be a lot of missteps occurring for things to get to that point. This seems like a "forest for the trees" thing: when did the practice decide to slide into 'big-boxing' it? Was that a conscious decision? If so, go with God. If not, back up a step or two and fix the real holes in the boat.

Thread Information