Thread: Prescription eyeglass for a Golf player over 50 years of age

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Prescription eyeglass for a Golf player over 50 years of age

I have this patient that wears progressive permanently and would like a pair of glasses specially made to play golf.
    I do not play golf at all. Could someone guide me on this?
    Recommended lens color, lens type, frame characteristics, etc.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Personally, I wore just my distance correction in Grey polarized lenses. Despite a +2.75 Add I never needed near vision on the course and in fact found it a nuisance. Of course I always carried my good old trusty trifocals in the golf bag so that I could read the menu in the club house. But, hey, that's just me.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper So we used the old fused round bifocals (Kryptok) ...................................

I was taught in optical school in London many years ago, that the proper way to make older golfers special golfing glasses.

So we used the old fused round bifocals (Kryptok) mounted on top corners, one eye temporal the other nasal side, instead of bottom to give a full visual field at bottom. The reading segments placed according to preference of patient in the right or left hand corner.

So to mark their score the just had to lower their head, but had a full visual field at the bottom.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-15-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with Chris, a kryptok/RD22 was what we used as well. The seg placement was measured according to how the patient preferred to read their scorecard. Upper nasal or lower temporal were the most common placement.

Kryptok will limit material and tint choices, but CR39 would be a good choice due to the availability of tints. A B-15 tint, IMO, is good choice. The contrast will help the ball standout from the grass

For SV wearers, I use to recommend Polarized, but I had some patients complain that polarized lenses remove too much glare and they could not properly read the greens. The nuances of the greens, they said, were more readable with the surface glare. I since stopped recommended Polarized

Occupation
    The ultimate arbiter of what is best in any given situation is not the prescriber but the wearer. One size does not fit all.

For example, I think that Danny Duffer with a -2.00 distance correction and a +2.00 Add might find a multifocal lens quite unnecessary while out on the fairway. With my SV DVO lenses I had sufficient NVA to pencil in "10" or "12" on my score card.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am ignorant on golf matter and I am a spanish speaker trying to translate.
    How necessary is a good vision on intermediate distance?
    When the ball is near the hole i has seen on TV that sometimes the player goes down and align the ball and the hole. Maybe also examine if the green has a inclination. Does sharp vision on intermediate distances is needed?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always done a FT with the seg at the top of lens instead of bottom. Pt just has to hold map/score card up to see it and has a clear view of ball when looking down.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If patient insists on a progressive for the golf course then Shamir does a Golf specific progressive lens. It has very minimal reading just in the bottom of the lens to read scorecards but doesnt affect your distance when youre looking down at the ball

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I golf and I use a progressive sunglass and it doesn't bother me at all. Each person is different. However if you want him to improve his score, tell him to wear only distance glasses for golf. Because he wont be able to see his score card while playing, tell him to mark his score before the round starts. This has improved my score tremendously.

Thread Information