Thread: Phrases to Avoid

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Phrases to Avoid

Not sure how many of you read the Laramy K weekly e-mails, but I liked this link

http://invisionmag.com/best-of-eyeca...-business.html
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Lots of references to insurance there. I don't think there's much of any benefit to refusing to use the word "insurance" to describe something that every single piece of documentation the patient has access to calls "insurance." I have, however, found that changing my verbiage from "your insurance covers $100 on your frame" to "your insurance will contribute $100 to your frame" makes a big difference. There are ways to encourage your patient to get the best bang-for-the-buck from their managed care without just caving to the "I only want what's covered" crowd. Educate, educate, educate.

I vehemently disagree with the person who said "I need to stop saying A/R in favor of 'non-glare'." Using the term "non-glare" to describe anti-reflective lens treatments increases patient confusion when the subject of polarized sunglasses comes up. In my practice, lenses have reflections, exterior surfaces have glare.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I vehemently disagree with the person who said "I need to stop saying A/R in favor of 'non-glare'." Using the term "non-glare" to describe anti-reflective lens treatments increases patient confusion when the subject of polarized sunglasses comes up. In my practice, lenses have reflections, exterior surfaces have glare.
    That one is actually my favorite. Well, actually my least favorite word in the entire opticians world has to be "COATING". However, I hate calling it A/R as well. Patients don't know our acronym's and want to know how it helps them and not the term. I prefer to say Glare-Free Application personally. The term non-glare or glare-free more refer to how the glasses look as worn to the patient which, especially in comparison to standard lenses, defiantly can be called glare-free as worn. Now obviously depending on the quality of said application can be more or less noticeable, but with proper patient education and demonstration the patient will not be confused or feel cheated when they can see a slight blue, purple, or green hue from their lenses.* Seems to work for me, only sold 3 pairs without G/F in the last 3 years.

*Have to make sure to fully communicate and demonstrate the exact glare-free you will be using if you use a blue protect (aka crizal prevencia or duravision blue) ESPECIALLY with tweens/teens as it shows up even more in selfies and photos.
    Christopher Lee
    Arizona LDO
    ABOC & NCLEC

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlee07 View Post
    That one is actually my favorite. Well, actually my least favorite word in the entire opticians world has to be "COATING". However, I hate calling it A/R as well. Patients don't know our acronym's and want to know how it helps them and not the term. I prefer to say Glare-Free Application personally. The term non-glare or glare-free more refer to how the glasses look as worn to the patient which, especially in comparison to standard lenses, defiantly can be called glare-free as worn. Now obviously depending on the quality of said application can be more or less noticeable, but with proper patient education and demonstration the patient will not be confused or feel cheated when they can see a slight blue, purple, or green hue from their lenses.* Seems to work for me, only sold 3 pairs without G/F in the last 3 years.

*Have to make sure to fully communicate and demonstrate the exact glare-free you will be using if you use a blue protect (aka crizal prevencia or duravision blue) ESPECIALLY with tweens/teens as it shows up even more in selfies and photos.
    I agree that we shouldn't call it A/R. That's why I call it "anti-reflective." I only use the word "glare" in reference to external surface glare addressed by polarized sunglasses. Your mileage may vary!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I agree that we shouldn't call it A/R. That's why I call it "anti-reflective." I only use the word "glare" in reference to external surface glare addressed by polarized sunglasses. Your mileage may vary!
    +1 It is an Anti- Reflective process and does not address glare. The continual stupidification of our industry.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    People tend to use 'glare' and 'reflective' synonymously just like they do with 'transitions' and 'progressive'. I'm always quick to differentiate without drawing too much attention to the misuse of the word. They tend to have the right idea without knowing the terminology. I say anti-reflective in front of patients and A/R with co-workers.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    People tend to use 'glare' and 'reflective' synonymously just like they do with 'transitions' and 'progressive'. I'm always quick to differentiate without drawing too much attention to the misuse of the word. They tend to have the right idea without knowing the terminology. I say anti-reflective in front of patients and A/R with co-workers.
    The transitions and progressive thing drives me nuts. I also quickly correct but don't draw attention to the misuse of the words...but inside I cringe.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    People tend to use 'glare' and 'reflective' synonymously just like they do with 'transitions' and 'progressive'. I'm always quick to differentiate without drawing too much attention to the misuse of the word. They tend to have the right idea without knowing the terminology.
    Not to mention patients conflating "progressive" with "trifocal." I had a patient who wanted a PAL insist on a trifocal so vehemently that I ended up having to order a 7x28. It was literally the only way to show them that they wanted a progressive. Madness.

I say anti-reflective in front of patients and A/R with co-workers.
    Perfect. We have to be careful to differentiate between the terminology we use with patients and with colleagues. "Poly," "A/R," and "1.67" are fine in the office, but confusing on the sales floor.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Well, I was under the impression that the optician was to explain and perhaps actually show the poor ignorant layman just what is meant by all this jargon.

Multifocal lenses - have a Flat Top Bifocal, Flat Top Trifocal and PAL in the drawer of the dispensing table. Show em!

Photochromics - have a clear lens and a photochromic in the drawer of the dispensing table. Show em!

Isn't it your job to bring clarity and profound truth to all you encounter in the workplace?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Well, I was under the impression that the optician was to explain and perhaps actually show the poor ignorant layman just what is meant by all this jargon.

Isn't it your job to bring clarity and profound truth to all you encounter in the workplace?
    Yes! Absolutely!...however, sometimes it's over and over again. I just keep informing and teaching them. Some of them still get the terminology mixed up.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Yes! Absolutely!...however, sometimes it's over and over again. I just keep informing and teaching them. Some of them still get the terminology mixed up.
    Job security in action !

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Job security in action !
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Phrases to avoid? Sure, after decades in optics, I've blurted out a few.......

Pt; " Will my new Rx make me see better?"
    Me; "Better than what?"

Pt informs me her beloved favorite dog died. My response " Aw, dog gone it."

Pt comes in complaining her white zyl temples are turning red. My response; " Well, you're NOT a natural redhead, are you?"

Pt tries on glasses; I say, " Wow! Those frames really make you look fat!"

Pt asks, "Is this frame a complimentary color for me?"
    Me, " Yes. Pale, gray, pasty and old".

Pt. " I got a screw loose."
    Me, "Yea, you and your whole family!"

Pt, " Can you loosen my temples?"
    Me, " Your temples aren't too tight. Your ears are too far back on your head."

Pt, " What? You measure my eyes and they are not symmetrical?"
    Me, as I glance her over, " Yea, and that's not the only part of you that's not."

Pt, " I think my nose pads are too tight!"
    Me, " Aw, ya big cry baby!"

Pt, " Do you have any frames that will make me look younger?"
    Me;, (after laughing hysterically), " Lady, I'm an Optician, not a magician!"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    ...Pt informs me her beloved favorite dog died. My response " Aw, dog gone it."
    Love it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We only sell Variflux transmissionals with Crystal Light.

Thread Information