Thread: list of incentives?

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused list of incentives?

Hello, we've opened a new optical and are seeking advice as to a list of incentives to motivate new staff. lots of people apply and all want to immediately know the base salary. naturally it DOE but in general we find new high school grads asking for 12$ / hr , whereas experienced non-mgmt seeking around $22/hr. this is in Orange County, CA.

we'd reallly like to incentivize so that our staff can have more motivation to upsell.

any ideas on this?

thank you!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The two optical retailers I have received commissions from set it up where EVERYTHING has a small incentive attached. Depending on your traffic and average sale the incentive may be higher. They tend to range from $1-10 on anything from AR to material upgrade to simply selling progressives. The best way, in my opinion, is communicating to potential hires that the incentive is on things they will already be selling and not to focus on the amounts too much. You want to be selling the best product to your patients not pushing needless upgrades.

Good luck!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you asking yourselves, if ethically, anyone should be using any employee "incentives" in medical/health care?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How about incentives based on store profitability? The more the store sells/makes (and be profitable) the better for everyone?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you asking yourselves, if ethically, anyone should be using any employee "incentives" in medical/health care?
    I could not agree with this more.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    you should look at the rates for your state. 22/hr sounds right for a seasoned optician especially if they also have a leadership role. 12/hr for an apprentice doesnt sound unreasonable either. I've only recently worked for a private office and am more involved in margins and profits and have yet to receive the raise I was promised after 90 days and yet to receive a bonus on sales that the last optician had. I have consistently closed more business than the previous employee at a slightly lower $/sale and all I here about is how we arent making more money because we are spending more on the lab bill(because im selling more pairs of lenses).

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I would walk out of any retail store .............................

Quote Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post

Hello, we've opened a new optical and are seeking advice as to a list of incentives to motivate new staff. lots of people apply and all want to immediately know the base salary. naturally it DOE but in general we find new high school grads asking for 12$ / hr , whereas experienced non-mgmt seeking around $22/hr. this is in Orange County, CA.

we'd reallly like to incentivize so that our staff can have more motivation to upsell.

any ideas on this?

I call this incentive .......................a commission sales job.

People working on that basis in a retail sales job, become high pressure oriented.

I would walk out of any retail store if I would feel that a sales person was pushing for higher priced items in the same product range.

Thread Information