Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Optiboard's Report" on "Consumer Reports"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lela, another mind-opening exercise for you:

Put your bleeding heart in check for all those "poor folks" and think for a moment about the people that run online opticals.

What do you think of them?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The idiotic statement said that the labs, hundreds of them, .........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Idiotic response, my friend.

I'm sure those high quality Luxottica frames and Essilor lenses won't matter jack squat when the patient inputs a random number for PAL height or split PD.

Or transposes it.

Or some low-ball optical lab makes the OD for the OS, etc. Happens all the freaking time.

The idiotic statement said that the labs, hundreds of them, operated by the Essilor/Luxottica corporations are not supplying incorrect jobs as a standard method.

Those people know better than that, and have made their money by supplying top quality manufactured products. If you agree with their retail marketing policies or not.

Labs make the glasses with the information given on the Rx.

Occupation

Blue Jumper They have discovered the power of the internet .................................

Lela, another mind-opening exercise for you:

Put your bleeding heart in check for all those "poor folks" and think for a moment about the people that run online opticals.

What do you think of them?

They have discovered the power of the internet by reaching a majority of households in a global way.
    And with all the cell phones that have internet connections the audience is getting larger by the day.

They also have discovered that discount companies advertising on the internet catch the attention of the public.

They also know the cost of making a pair of glasses, and the price they are selling on the official retail market by traditional B&MN stores, who sell their goods with the knowledge and experience of professionals.

So by bypassing those retail stores and selling direct to the consumer their pricing shows a fair sized difference.

What they do not tell the public on their advertising is, that those products have not been verified against their prescription, and these products have not been fitted properly to the head of the consumer, which translates very simply into that these glasses were sold without any personal service that is most often needed.

The people that run these online opticals are counting on optical retailers, Opticians as well as Optometrists to be stubborn on continuing their traditional way of selling their goods at prices they call all included, which total service.

For total service one also have to pay for it, at the rate of the experience and knowledge of these professionals, and this makes up for the higher price.

If the professional optical retailer would sell close to the price he/she is paying for the cost of the glasses coming out of the lab, plus the charge for service, plus warranty, plus extended service and or whatever else, at his or her rate of their professional standing and experience, the internet sellers would have a substantial sales decrease instead the other way around.

What is your opinion ?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's what I think, Chris.

"The Russians have discovered the power of the internet"

Whatever.

"The internet" is just a means of communication. For example, a consumer can now communicate with a pirate in, say, British Columbia.

Before, we had 1-800 toll free piracy. Had they discovered the "power of the toll-free number"?

There's no "power" in the internet. It just allows people to easily get in touch with things. Wikipedia. Restaurants. Pirates.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If people want to make their own glasses, it's their right. They can also remove their intestinal polyps with toenail clippers if they want.

If the governments (untold hundreds in North America) want to set rules for citizen safety, these sites are then breaking the local laws.

It would be easy peasy for, say, Quebec to say "It's illegal to dispense glasses without X, Y, and Z in Quebec. Any company found doing so, in our jurisdiction, will be fined HEAVILY."
    Last edited by drk; 01-14-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Put yourself in a doctor's shoes.

"I can't see".

"Well, after testing you, here's why, and here's what you can do about it."

"After getting the prescription filled, I still cannot see."

"Well, now what do you want me to do about it? I told you what you needed to do, and who F'd up the process? YOU DID, Mr. Patient. Now, you pay me another fee to be checked again, and I'll make another order that you STILL won't follow correctly. Or maybe you'll get lucky this time."

That would stink.

How about this one?

"I have a huge, swollen eyelid."

"Ok, you need this antibiotic."

"Hey, I filled it. My lid's not better...it's worse!"

"Well, either the antibiotic was dispensed wrong, or you took it improperly, or it wasn't the right antibiotic in the first place, or it was the right antibiotic and it's a resistant strain...Where did you fill it?"

"Here:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20prescription

How about this one?
    "I have a loss of peripheral vision"

"Hmm, it could be a brain tumor. We need an MRI."

"I went to 1-800 MRI, and they gave me this. It says it's OK."

"Well, they did the wrong cut. It's worthless. You have to go back."

"Things are going dark....<boom he dead>"

You can't practice optometry like that. You have to have THE ENTIRE PROCESS under control by professionals. Pharmacists. Lab techs. Opticians.

Stupid **** like this is going to make eye care fall apart. What is the freaking point of the whole health care system if we have non-professionals practicing medicine? It's a giant step backwards into lunacy.

So "the power of the internet" is the power to connect suckers with flim-flam artists.
    Last edited by drk; 01-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Labs make the glasses with the information given on the Rx.
    Think about it, Mr. Ryser...

...that's...

...still...

...not...

...enough...

...information...

...to fill...

...the prescription...

...correctly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm with DrK on this one

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ...Are you licensed? If so, why? If not, why not?
    I'm in training as we speak, why does that matter? This line of questioning has a very "ad hominem" feeling to it, since it has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

On a similar note, if you are reading Steve, it would be helpful if in the "Occupation or Field:" there was a "In-Training" or "Post-Doc In-Training" selection.
    ...What do you think of them?
    They're no different than any other for-profit business.
    ...It would be easy peasy for, say, Quebec to say "It's illegal to dispense glasses without X, Y, and Z in Quebec. Any company found doing so, in our jurisdiction, will be fined HEAVILY."
    But they don't, so you are essentially doing nothing more than barking in the dark by trying to fight the surging tide.
    ...What is the freaking point of the whole health care system if we have non-professionals practicing medicine?...
    And yet, this is exactly what the public has done with "Dr. Google". That's not going to change. One must adapt to deal with it, rather than try to change something that is getting stronger every single day rather than going away.

Maybe you enjoy fighting a pointless battle. I would rather help people get what they need and not waste my time and effort on pushing back against the inevitable.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 01-14-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm in training as we speak, why does that matter? This line of questioning has a very "ad hominem" feeling to it, since it has nothing to do with what is being discussed.
    It does. When you have professional status, you will see things differently. I hope.

They're no different than any other for-profit business.
    Give me an example of another "for profit business" that flouts the law.
    But they don't, so you are essentially doing nothing more than barking in the dark by trying to fight the surging tide.And yet, this is exactly what the public has done with "Dr. Google". That's not going to change. One must adapt to deal with it, rather than try to change something that is getting stronger every single day rather than going away.
    Way to fight for what's right.
    Maybe you enjoy fighting a pointless battle. I would rather help people get what they need and not waste my time and effort on pushing back against the inevitable.
    Great argument. I suppose ISIS is inevitable. I suppose crime is inevitable. I suppose violence is inevitable.

I bet you are all about fighting global warming, right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It does. When you have professional status, you will see things differently. I hope.
    Unlikely.
    Give me an example of another "for profit business" that flouts the law.
    Too many to list. The supplement business is a good one. Selling items that are not supplements, as supplements, to get around the law of using and importing materials for human consumption that are not approved as such. A very well known open secret.
    Way to fight for what's right.
    Only morons fight battles that cannot be won.
    I suppose ISIS is inevitable. I suppose crime is inevitable. I suppose violence is inevitable.
    ISIS may be inevitable, too early to tell. Crime and violence are indeed inevitable. Do you really think either of those two things will ever stop? I doubt it, or at least not while anyone here is still breathing, which is tantamount to "No"
    I bet you are all about fighting global warming, right?
    I'm neutral. If you read the latest research, there is a fairly good chance we have already gone past the "You're totally f****d!" point. If that is correct, it's a moot point.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 01-14-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We may as well just lay back and enjoy it, then.

No sense in fighting for what's right.

May as well be collaborators.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper There is plenty of "power" to have converted millions ..............................

Here's what I think, Chris.

"The internet" is just a means of communication. For example, a consumer can now communicate with a pirate in, say, British Columbia.

There's no "power" in the internet. It just allows people to easily get in touch with things. Wikipedia. Restaurants. Pirates.

drk ................I still love you, but you are not always right.

The internet is also a freebie for anybody that wants to use it. Today a smart 3 year old can now go on it on a tablet or cell phone.

It has become the most important communications technology, each one can receive and send at their pleasure, and that attracts the big masses who can be reached instantly, with good as well as bad ideas.

The power of it is, that it has converted hundreds of millions of people to use it at any time during every day or night.

Two years ago on one of my family gatherings of 24 people in a fancy suburban Hotel for a Sunday lunch, each and everyone present had parked their cell phones next to their dinner plate and showed me pictures sent by their kids, that came flying in from two other continents.

There is plenty of "power" to have converted many millions of people to use the internet 24 hours a day.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I believe that I have been around long enough in this field .........................

Think about it, Mr. Ryser...

...that's...
    ...still...
    ...not...
    ...enough...
    ...information...
    ...to fill...
    ...the prescription...
    ...correctly.

I believe that I have been around long enough in this field that one should assume, that when I write about an Rx, I would not even think of a fake Rx, than one that is produced by a real qualified professional.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

We may as well just lay back and enjoy it, then.

No sense in fighting for what's right.

May as well be collaborators.

At this moment i'm writing this post, at 1.30 am, there are:

"There are currently 317 users online. 3 members and 314 guests"

There could be over 100 times more people looking at a post than just active members, during the middle of the night.

Your word goes a lot further than you think.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Amazon to Create More Than 100,000 New, Full-Time, Full-Benefit Jobs across the U.S.

Amazon to Create More Than 100,000 New, Full-Time, Full-Benefit Jobs across the U.S.

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 12, 2017-- (NASDAQ:AMZN) – Over the past five years, Amazon created over 150,000 jobs in the United States, growing its workforce here from 30,000 employees in 2011 to over 180,000 at the end of 2016. Today, the company announced that it plans to create an additional 100,000 full-time, full-benefit jobs in the U.S. over the next 18 months. These new job opportunities are for people all across the country and with all types of experience, education and skill levels—from engineers and software developers to those seeking entry-level positions and on-the-job training. Many of the roles will be in new fulfillment centers that have been announced over the past several months and are currently under construction in Texas, California, Florida, New Jersey and many other states across the country. In addition to direct job creation, Amazon businesses like Marketplace and Amazon Flex will continue to create hundreds of thousands of jobs for people across the U.S. who want the flexibility to start their own business, work part-time or set their own schedule.

Read all of it:==========>
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2237110

another step forward on the internet .................

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    At this moment i'm writing this post, at 1.30 am, there are:

"There are currently 317 users online. 3 members and 314 guests"

There could be over 100 times more people looking at a post than just active members, during the middle of the night.

Your word goes a lot further than you think.

Well gosh, I wonder what 314 people are logging on to "Optiboard" to read about?

Are there really that many opticians overseas that can't wait to read about nosepads?

Or...maybe they are trying to build their own glasses with what they glean here?

Occupation
    Just go and check for yourself ...................................

Currently Active Users

There are currently 382 users online. 5 members and 377 guests
    Most users ever online was 11,951, 01-07-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would imagine most of them are bots of various sorts, some people that got lost, some people that don't read English and are trying to figure out what is being discussed, and the rest are consumers trying to answer their own questions, and if they can't, they will register here and either admit they are consumers and get banned, or try to fool the people here into thinking they aren't consumers, despite it being horribly obvious, and then get banned.

Occupation

Blue Jumper I would imagine most of them are bots of various sorts ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

I would imagine most of them are bots of various sorts, some people that got lost, some people that don't read English and are trying to figure out what is being discussed, and the rest are consumers trying to answer their own questions, ..............................

for sure there must be some of them...............

However do not forget, that this is the highest ranking forum on the web and is scanned by optical people from all sectors in the optical trade, for some interest in one subject or another.

Thread Information