Thread: Brooks Bros.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Brooks Bros.

I know that talk of the dread Lux is somewhat verboten around here, but, has anyone heard anything about potential future plans for the Brooks Bros. line? It seems like the style variety has been diminishing lately and, as popular as they are among some reliable clientele, I'm nervous about the future of the line. Is it a case of bad reps or do I need to start looking into alternatives?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    New styles or new colors continue to be introduced. It's a decent seller for us.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    I know that talk of the dread Lux is somewhat verboten around here, but, has anyone heard anything about potential future plans for the Brooks Bros. line? It seems like the style variety has been diminishing lately and, as popular as they are among some reliable clientele, I'm nervous about the future of the line. Is it a case of bad reps or do I need to start looking into alternatives?
    I've felt the same about Versace and Dolce brands....

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I doubt Luxottica will ever drop the Brooks Brothers license as BB is owned by Claudio del Vecchio who is the son of the principal owner of Luxottica.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old BB are much better then new! But you can probably say this about any Lux line....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Old BB are much better then new! But you can probably say this about any Lux line....
    Agree but why the drop off???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Agree but why the drop off???
    Warby took their place! If they cant make frames better then Warby why pay for BB?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Warby took their place! If they cant make frames better then Warby why pay for BB?

Anybody that sell a product online is beating conventional retail in pricing, so they will be purchasing at lower prices and larger quantities. Now the manufacturer is under pricing pressure, and saves money making the stuff.

Check the online pricing right here: ============>

https://www.simplyeyeglasses.com/eye...FZC3wAodtOAEeg

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Though I get the point there's some false equivalency there; in the great optical venn diagram, people wearing BB probably don't have much interest in WP and vice versa.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    people wearing BB probably don't have much interest in WP and vice versa.
    I disagree!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    What do you disagree with>

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EYERA View Post
    What do you disagree with>
    I totally disagree that Brooks Brothers type of customers are not going to buy WP and the opposite! I think their plastics are quite sililar in style and now in quality...(:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's shocking how many people are buying WP. I have a relative from NYC who is friends with high society. (Think the Vanderbilts). When I met up with him over the holiday he was telling me about his wonderful WP glasses that are blue blocking lenses. "Great quality." He went on and on about them. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so I just kept my mouth shut. If someone like that is buying WP, then who isn't? I don't think you can assume anything at this point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    It's shocking how many people are buying WP. I have a relative from NYC who is friends with high society. (Think the Vanderbilts). When I met up with him over the holiday he was telling me about his wonderful WP glasses that are blue blocking lenses. "Great quality." He went on and on about them. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so I just kept my mouth shut. If someone like that is buying WP, then who isn't? I don't think you can assume anything at this point.
    You would think he would be a BB customer:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You would think he would be a BB customer:)
    Exactly!!!
    Everything else he owns is some kind of name brand and expensive. Why WP?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Exactly!!!
    Because they built a BRAND!:(

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because they built a BRAND!:(
    I believe you are correct, Sir!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Exactly!!!
    POTTERYBARN is expensive but crap just like WP

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Why WP? .....................

Exactly!!!

Because they purchase in large quantities and have special prices and soon are starting their own lab in New York state.

Their pricing is many times lower than yours, but they have no after service which is included in the opticians selling price.

When the optician will finally change their system and sell low but charge for the serviuces rendered he can compete with WP, if it is not to late.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Because they purchase in large quantities and have special prices and soon are starting their own lab in New York state.

Their pricing is many times lower than yours, but they have no after service which is included in the opticians selling price.

When the optician will finally change their system and sell low but charge for the serviuces rendered he can compete with WP, if it is not to late.
    WP is paying $0.50 less then we can. They opened an edging lab. The next logical thing will be FF lab. But anybody can do this if they want to....

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I had the same thing happen. CEO of a Fortune 500 company bagged to me about his $58 online glasses.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation

Blue Jumper The well to do..............learned early in life ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I had the same thing happen. CEO of a Fortune 500 company bagged to me about his $58 online glasses.

The well to do..............learned early in life to spend less than you make.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    To me, that demonstrates that there is a serious disconnect between the public understanding of what is being offered by a competent professional and what those in the profession can offer. People don't understand that knowledge of the latest lens designs, proper measurements, etc... make a huge difference in how they see, and the difference between the service provided online and what they can receive from a competent professional can't even be realistically compared in any meaningful way.

I think this is a result of the general public's experience with chain optical retailers over the last few decades. From my personal experience, I can say that, generally speaking, the people working in these chains rarely know more than the absolute basics. If someone mentioned vertex distance, panoptic tilt, etc... I doubt they would have any idea what one was talking about. As a result, people do not value the experience they would receive from a competent professional, as it is likely few have ever met one. As a result, they feel that going online, and saving money, is worthwhile, as they do not value the experiences and interactions they have had in the past with optical retailers. Unfortunately, this hurts the consummate professionals in the field more than anyone else. I don't know that this trend can be reversed at this point. The online retailers have had too much success in convincing the public that the products they dispense are "good enough" and that the difference in cost for working with an optical professional is not worth it.

Occupation

Blue Jumper The world is changing at a faster pace every day.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

To me, that demonstrates that there is a serious disconnect between the public understanding of what is being offered by a competent professional and what those in the profession can offer. People don't understand that knowledge of the latest lens designs, proper measurements, etc... make a huge difference in how they see,...........................

......................................The online retailers have had too much success in convincing the public that the products they dispense are "good enough" and that the difference in cost for working with an optical professional is not worth it.

For the public on the street it is known that one needs new lenses every couple of years after the age of somewhere around 42 years of age. And one pair was good enough with a clip on for the sun.

In the old times they went on with the old frame as long as they could and had the next pair put in the previous frames until the frame dried out and broke.

These days with fashion changing faster and new colors coming out continuously they have been purchasing new frames more often in their new carriere of getting older.

With all the new types of lenses they might now need several pairs, for the computer and many other things.

The result is, much more is being spent by the public in getting their vision corrected than in older days and prices have increased with the general economy.

..........and here comes the on-line opticals that are offering
    basic frames and lenses at prices that are reversed to pricing in stores, back many years. However all this is without any extra services, only an optician can provide.

......................................The online retailers have had too much success in convincing the public that the products they dispense are "good enough" and that the difference in cost for working with an optical professional is not worth it.
    Online retailers are hammering away at the public with their low pricing advertising, that is a fact. From their websites to small ads everywhere somebody takes ads on their sites. So their impact is great and powerful.

Lower pricing has always drawn a lot of customers see the WalMart story but a lot of them as the SEARs are suffering because they can not compete with the new on line competition any more. So do not underestimate the power of the internet. The world is changing at a faster pace every day.

Thread Information