Thread: ANSI and AR

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

ANSI and AR

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there were any "real" standards for dispensing AR coated lenses?

I have worked a few places, and each one seems to have their own methods that are "passed on" to new dispensers. Most of the ABO materials I have just touch on the benefits of AR coatings, and go into explanation of what AR actually is. There doesn't really seem to be any ANSI or other set standard that I can find on this matter. Some say use an incandescent bulb while others use fluorescent; some even LED. Is it 3 seconds, 5 seconds or 10 seconds that you want to spend looking at each lens? It just seems to float around from company to company.

Any input it appreciated!

P.S. I live in Pennsylvania where ABO isn't required, so we can have anyone dispensing our lenses. It would be comforting to know that there was some standard in place.

Thanks for you time!!!
    Stephen Reeves
    ABOC 218579

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not know of any standard that is used unfortunately. I do know they obviously cannot be crazed and that they must index match correctly or you will get what look like swirl marks in the lens. I have had crazing so subtle that I could not see anything wrong with the lens yet the pt brought them back complaining they could not clean them at night. It took me bringing them home that night myself to see the crazing.

Also, depending on the type the lab will verify that they both have a specific amount of scratch resistance and wetting angle. When I'm verifying jobs I use some common sense and look at the lens and if I wouldn't wear it I send it back. If it passes that and the pt is back in within a week with an issue that sounds like they cant get them clean or other issues such as difficulty cleaning them then you may have an issue. Lastly avoid using anything listed as an "A" or "B" coating to VSP. Since moving to the private practice world and only using "C" or "D" categories I have ALMOST no AR issues.
    Christopher Lee
    Arizona LDO
    ABOC & NCLEC

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Wisdom To Start The Day ....................

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stephan. Why would a board certified Optometrist work in a lab. Did you mean American Board of Opticianry?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, if there is no ANSI standard (which I'm pretty sure we all agree that there is not) what should the standard look like if existed? I would want to include that the A/R should not look like a mirror and free of visually impairing defects (crazing, mounting pad indents [what I mean by this is when the patient complains about a starburst pattern in the center of the lens, that can only seen by bright light that is at an oblique angle to the lens], or embedded debris in the coating).

Also, with that being said I also want to state that I do not believe that there will every be a written standard because most of what I mentioned may be subjective and not easily measurable (except for the mirroring).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Perhaps this may shed some light, though not definitive.

ANSIZ80.1-2015 Page 11, sec 6.1.2: In a zone of 30 mm diameter centered around the distance reference point and over the whole area of the segment if the segment is equal to or less than 30 mm (for segments over 30 mm diameter zone centered around the near reference point), the lens when inspected using the method described in 8.11 shall not exhibit any surface imperfections or internal defects including pits, scratches, grayness, bubbles, cracks, striae, or watermarks that are visible and that would impair function of the lens. Outside this zone, small isolated material or surface defects or both are acceptable.
    Page 23, 8.11 and 8.12:Physical Quality and Appearance Test
    The lens inspection is carried out at a light/dark boundary and without the aid of magnifying optics. Inspect the lens within a room with ambient lighting of about 200 lux. Use as an inspection lamp either a fluorescent tube with a minimum of 15 W or an open shaded 40 W incandescent clear lamp. Position the lens approximately 300 mm (12 in) from the light source and view against a dark background. Annex B will show a diagram for the inspection lamp set-up.
    8.12 Localized Error Test
    View a high-contrast grid pattern of dark and light lines through the lens, scanning the lens area by area. The lens should be held approximately 300 mm (12 in) from the eye for weak plus or minus lenses. For strong plus lenses, the eye should be placed near the focus. The target should be approximately 300 mm (12 in) from the lens. Virtually any straight-edged object is suitable for viewing waves through minus lenses. A grid pattern as viewed through the lens should appear smoothly curved and gradually distorted from the center of the field outward. However, localized ripples or distortions that are visible to the unaided eye are an indication of a possible significant aberration. For purposes of identifying the position of the defect, the use of a visually focusing focimeter is permitted. Localized ripples or distortions that are invisible to the unaided eye may be disregarded.

Though not definitive, this may serve as a guide. However, it still does not account for subjectivity, as we all know.

The only thing that addresses AR in the Z80.1-2015 is adhesion. A saltwater boil test will address this, if done properly at the lab. Here is hoping that Colts labs and iCoat will aid in the proper AR inspection process for opticians in the future.

Occupation
    Sorry. Yes, that is what I mean. Thanks for pointing it out to me. My phone doesn't recognize "opticianry" as a word and changed it.
    Stephen Reeves
    ABOC 218579

Occupation
    Thank-you for these standards! This is exactly what I had in mind. I personally do not own an ANSI standards book so these sections are perfect for my search. We do run the standard salt water boils and tape tests each day. We as a lab have guidelines to follow but then it's up to our dispensers to take it from there. That seems to be where things get (dare i say) fuzzy.

Many thanks friend!
    Stephen Reeves
    ABOC 218579

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not a problem, my friend.
    I agree, that we as a lab, we have standards to follow. And as a lab, we have costs to contain as well. Dispensing Opticians don't have the same frame of mind. They don't tend to follow established best practices and typically judge a completed pair by their own personal standards. More so if they ever moved from the lab end of our business.
    Like yourself, we salt water boil test lenses everyday and do the standard pull test for our hydro. We check our calibrations every 8 hours for reflectivity on each layer stack, with the goal of 1.0-1.5 reflection. We also send samples monthly for contact angle testing and Bayer testing.
    I am working with several of our vendors to establish a best practice for inspecting AR coatings to send out to all of our clinics because, I have several opticians that insist on using an LED light shining directly onto the lens to inspect the AR coatings. As a lab manager and QA guy, I find this extremely irritating. If I look long and hard at any pair of spectacles, I can find something wrong, but that is not my job. My job is to find everything right with a pair of spectacles, and in that process, if anything is out of standards, I will reject it. By wrong, I mean that I balance what the opticians expect and what ANSI allows per standards.
    Anyway, I'm happy to help. And good luck to you dealing with the fuzzies....

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You can purchase a copy of the ANSI Z80.1 - 2015 standard at

http://webstore.ansi.org
    RT

Thread Information