Thread: I just found an interesting theme on the last Optical Vision Site ...................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I just found an interesting theme on the last Optical Vision Site ...................

I just found an interesting theme on the last Optical Vision Site :

Lens Wars: Lenses Only Online

December 8, 2016 By Cathy

While everyone is freaking out about mobile eye exams, online eyewear and Donald Trump, several companies have quietly gone after the online lens business. Optical lenses have become a little pricey. By the time you add in your coatings, fashion and performance options, all of sudden you have a $1,000 pair of lenses. Add in your frames and whatnot the full ticket without insurance can be up to $2,000. A hefty price tag.

See all of it: ============>
    http://www.theopticalvisionsite.com/...es-only-online

what do you say ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I just found an interesting theme on the last Optical Vision Site :

Lens Wars: Lenses Only Online

December 8, 2016 By Cathy

While everyone is freaking out about mobile eye exams, online eyewear and Donald Trump, several companies have quietly gone after the online lens business. Optical lenses have become a little pricey. By the time you add in your coatings, fashion and performance options, all of sudden you have a $1,000 pair of lenses. Add in your frames and whatnot the full ticket without insurance can be up to $2,000. A hefty price tag.

See all of it: ============>
    http://www.theopticalvisionsite.com/...es-only-online

what do you say ?
    I've said it before: We can type until we're blue in the hands about different ways to justify our charges, but if people don't have the money, they can't pay it. Here in Houston it's not unusual for even "bargain" opticals to charge in excess of $200 for uncoated CR39 or poly in bargain-basement zyl frames. Less expensive B&M alternatives are out there but the patient has to hunt and drive for them; why should they when the click of a mouse takes them to a website for $10.00 frames and lenses? For that price, it's worth it for many patients to just go ahead and buy more glasses should the original bust or get out of alignment.

We have to understand that while, yes, boomers continue to constitute a large portion of our customer base, millennials are a growing part of that as well. And rather than sit around here trash talking their giant glasses and alleged lack of work ethic, we need to realistically assess the financial situation facing most of them and how that applies to our current business model. Moral superiority means nothing if we're out of business.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    These articles don't help perception of private offices. $1-2k for a pair of glasses??? They make that price seem routine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are many different markets in our multi billion dollar industry. Budget, middle of the road, luxury and medical needs based. The last two would be difficult to do online. The millennials may not have extra disposable income now, but neither did us boomers when we were their age.

As far as having to drive and search for discounters, all I'll say is Wally and America's Worst to name just two. ( the latter will do two sv's complete for 69 bucks and throw in a free exam..get all that on the net..) Not much of a drive for the former either. You at least can get some kind of personal help and selection for not much different price than online.

I'll agree that there are way too many mediocre B&M's out there. Many are destine to fail. But there will be a medical needs base and a luxury base for as long as folk need eye wear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    I've said it before: We can type until we're blue in the hands about different ways to justify our charges, but if people don't have the money, they can't pay it.
    This is how I feel too. I have family and coworkers that buy online simply because its an option they can afford, They get cheap glasss and cheap lenses but cannot beat the $40.00. They can even get more then one pair a year

Thread Information