Thread: Hoya to acquire 3M safety eyewear biz

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya to acquire 3M safety eyewear biz

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Hoya is now on the same path as Essilor ..................................

UITHOORN, The Netherlands, Dec. 7, 2016 /CNW/ -
    Acquisition provides HOYA Vision Care access to an important new market

HOYA Vision Care, a division of HOYA Group (HOYA) today announced a definitive agreement to acquire the safety prescription eyewear business of 3M.

What else is new ? Hoya is now on the same path as Essilor, learning that the way to go, is going into the retail business, and be profitable all the way from manufacturing to the consumer.

A couple of months ago Hoya purchased "Vision Ease" it is only a start and you will see more of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The difference, IME, is that Essilor buys businesses to add to its' empire the way that Alexander the Great did. They seek and conquer as a way to increase their profits and revenues. Hoya is taking a much more Mussolini approach: Conquer to demonstrate that they can.

Consider: Ten months ago, the words "lackluster," "flat," and "decreased profits" were all being used to describe Hoya's business. Now they're buying VE (for far more than it' worth) and 3M. These are not smart business decisions. They're desperate.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The safety eye wear market's margins very well may be below CL's. There's very little profit from large corporate accounts.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper quantities of just a few frames to choose from and basic type lenses................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

The safety eye wear market's margins very well may be below CL's. There's very little profit from large corporate accounts.

Good point ......................

However the ones I know of make up for it in quantities of just a few frames to choose from and basic type lenses.

So their stock is simple to keep and the turnover very fair, plus the amount of sales might make up for it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    They won't. No further thought went into this decision than "we'll buy it so Essilor can't, and then we can say we bought something!" The reality might set in down the road when yet another lousy quarterly report comes in, but, that's doubtful. Look for Hoya to spend themselves out of business within the next ten years... if less.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heard that the CEO of the acquiring company is making many bad decisions recently.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What else is new ? Hoya is now on the same path as Essilor, learning that the way to go, is going into the retail business, and be profitable all the way from manufacturing to the consumer.

A couple of months ago Hoya purchased "Vision Ease" it is only a start and you will see more of it.
    I'm sure since the purchase price wasn't disclosed, was probably more of a fire sale. 3M safety division has struggled for some time with quality and delivery times and was most likely dumped in Hoya's laps for cheap. Why Hoya would want to go from ally to competitor with ECP's in a high volume low margin business makes no financial sense, other than try to compete with Essilor.

As Chris said, its becoming a battle of the giants out there - if I was to place a bet, my money is on BIG E.

Support the little people folks!!!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi!

one of the little people..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    The difference, IME, is that Essilor buys businesses to add to its' empire the way that Alexander the Great did. They seek and conquer as a way to increase their profits and revenues. Hoya is taking a much more Mussolini approach: Conquer to demonstrate that they can.

Consider: Ten months ago, the words "lackluster," "flat," and "decreased profits" were all being used to describe Hoya's business. Now they're buying VE (for far more than it' worth) and 3M. These are not smart business decisions. They're desperate.
    +1. They are very desperate and of the few acquisitions they do, none are stellar deals that will catapult them or provide a substantial ROI.

They're too thrifty with their dough to perform any blockbuster deals.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Hi!

one of the little people..

Reading this made my day!

You ever notice how a lot of the 'little people' are here on OB?
    And not out buying other companies...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The more I deal with Hoya the less I understand that company... First Hoya should also look at what they could bring over here from Hoya Japan. If some of you want to have a look at the web site of Hoya Japan I invite you to do so... great selection of products there AND incredibly innovative (yes I said innovative) products they have to offer in Japan! I discussed that with high ranked persons at Hoya USA and Hoya Canada and no one has a clear answer for me. In fact, I'm not even sure if Hoya USA or Canada is truly part of Hoya Vision based in Japan... It looks more to me like independent distributors of Hoya's products in North America. My wife lived in Japan over 20 years and believe me I can tell you no Japanese company would operate like this company operates in North America! They have no clue here of what "Kaisen" means! To give you one example, Hoya Sensity is a photochromatic lens that is not yet here in Canada BUT has been available in Egypt and Thailand for 3 years!! I could go on and on with products we could/should have in North America which belongs to the mother company in Japan. How can Hoya compete here with Essilor offering so little selection in products?? And acquiring Vision Ease will not give them any spectacular products IMO... only a bigger part of the market.

kai·zen
    ˈkīzən/
    noun
    noun: kaizen

• a Japanese business philosophy of continuous improvement of working practices, personal efficiency, etc.
    Last edited by djal; 12-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Occupation
    The principals of Kaizen were introduced to Japan by American occupation forces who brought in American experts to help with the rebuilding of Japanese industry after WWII. W. Edward Deming introduced the statistical methods along with Homer Sarasohn and Charles Protzman that were adopted by Japanese manufacturers and became the foundation of the TQM process.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Little people get older too and need glasses .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

Reading this made my day!

You ever notice how a lot of the 'little people' are here on OB?
    And not out buying other companies...

Most of all:

Little people get older too and need glasses

Little people also pay taxes

Little people also elect a USA President

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The principals of Kaizen were introduced to Japan by American occupation forces who brought in American experts to help with the rebuilding of Japanese industry after WWII. W. Edward Deming introduced the statistical methods along with Homer Sarasohn and Charles Protzman that were adopted by Japanese manufacturers and became the foundation of the TQM process.
    Carl Sewell in his book "Customer for Life" explains it this way: " If you don't become any better you are getting worst". Would I buy a North American car made a Monday morning in Detroit or would I buy a Japanese car made in factory in Japan a Monday morning? Asking the question is answering it in a way... Ichiban indeed! The ONLY way IMO Hoya would get on the right track is replacing the USA CEO by a Japanese person from Hoya Japan; that way the Japanese philosophy of the company would be intact and carried over in North America and you would see all these AWSOME products from Hoya Japan here... They could do like Shamir does i.e. outsource in a Hoya factory in Asia/Japan and get packages delivered here on a regular basis each week (Shamir does it from Israel to the USA with great efficacy)!

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post

They could do like Shamir does i.e. outsource in a Hoya factory in Asia/Japan and get packages delivered here on a regular basis each week (Shamir does it from Israel to the USA with great efficacy)!
    Actually all the large world wide corporations involved into manufacturing on a international basis, have arrangements with UPS/Fedex or DHL, and do that on a regular basis at very low rates, but make up in quantities.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    TY for letting me know... Hoya Canada told me that would mean astronomical costs! Listen, when someone like me tells Hoya here what is available for Japanese people manufactured by Hoya Japan and they don't know a thing about the products I'm talking about... well "Houston we have a problem". Search "Polatech Hoya" and that will give you an idea of what is available in Japan; and this is only the tip of the iceberg. The ultimate solution... fire the top people and replace them by Japanese coming from Hoya Japan... then you would see a well ran company! Ichiban!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post
    TY for letting me know... Hoya Canada told me that would mean astronomical costs! Listen, when someone like me tells Hoya here what is available for Japanese people manufactured by Hoya Japan and they don't know a thing about the products I'm talking about... well "Houston we have a problem". Search "Polatech Hoya" and that will give you an idea of what is available in Japan; and this is only the tip of the iceberg. The ultimate solution... fire the top people and replace them by Japanese coming from Hoya Japan... then you would see a well ran company! Ichiban!!
    When Sensity came out, we got bombarded with fliers in our boxes and a ton of crap about how it was the "brand new" lens "developed especially for the North American market" to compete with Transitions. That was a major red flag for us-- one of our employees used to travel to England for work and was well aware of Sensity before Hoya "launched" it. Made us wonder why there were still so many issues with it.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Has ever anybody thought that when Transition comes out with a newer process

When Sensity came out, we got bombarded with fliers in our boxes and a ton of crap about how it was the "brand new" lens "developed especially for the North American market" to compete with Transitions.

Has ever anybody thought that when Transition comes out with a newer process of doing it, that the first thing to do is to slap a patent on the new process ?

Done that in the USA which is one of the largest markets will prohibit the use of it for a competitor. So they can sell it in not patent covered countries but not the USA.

Being hit with patent infractions is very expensive and long process and you better stay away and do not sell the products in covered areas.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    When Sensity came out, we got bombarded with fliers in our boxes and a ton of crap about how it was the "brand new" lens "developed especially for the North American market" to compete with Transitions. That was a major red flag for us-- one of our employees used to travel to England for work and was well aware of Sensity before Hoya "launched" it. Made us wonder why there were still so many issues with it.
    OMG Hoya USA told you that! This proves you how much they are deep in "La La Land". Don't they know we can Google it anytime and find out it was in Europe, Africa and Asia years before North America! In fact we seem to be the last one getting Sensity on mother earth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_Ig1atGJg

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Has ever anybody thought that when Transition comes out with a newer process of doing it, that the first thing to do is to slap a patent on the new process ?

Done that in the USA which is one of the largest markets will prohibit the use of it for a competitor. So they can sell it in not patent covered countries but not the USA.

Being hit with patent infractions is very expensive and long process and you better stay away and do not sell the products in covered areas.
    I doubt very much they didn't have a patent in Europe... and Sensity has been there for a few years now. That reminds me of the CEO of Hoya USA who told me once they could not do an anti- static treatment (again like thay have in Japan ) bc Essilor owned the patent... Surprise , surprise when I talked to Shamir at one time they told me they have anti- static with their AR and from a while back; way before Essilor had any share in the company. Again wrong info from Hoya USA... IMO they just don't want to invest to upgrade their AR coating to include anti static properties into it!

This is it: Venus Guard Lapis... An EX3 with +++ features...https://translate.google.ca/translat...ml&prev=search
    Last edited by djal; 12-14-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Thread Information