Thread: Optik k&r

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optik k&r

Hello my fellow boarders; Does anyone have any experience with the in house prog. lenses called Performance DS from Optik k&r?
    Are they good, easy adapt, etc....?
    Thanks again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post
    Hello my fellow boarders; Does anyone have any experience with the in house prog. lenses called Performance DS from Optik k&r?
    Are they good, easy adapt, etc....?
    Thanks again.
    The lenses are cheap and so is the quality. The coatings usually peel off within a few months.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    The lenses are cheap and so is the quality. The coatings usually peel off within a few months.
    Really...that has been your experience? Please Expand And Enlighten me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post
    Really...that has been your experience? Please Expand And Enlighten me.
    Try them for yourself...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been using them for a year and no issues.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    performace DS aren't that bad, but the normal luxar coating is only okay, have problem before but their warranty is pretty good. use the luxar U coating.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have been using Luxar and Luxar u for a couple of years. I find the coatings scratch easily and often break down. The break down is noticeable where the patients eyebrow or cheek touch the lens. The coating does not do well when in contact with perspiration. The lab has stood behind the 2 year warranty. Although it is a nuisance for the patient to return. The warranty jobs also costs me more more staff time and wear and tear on my edger. Currently 25 to 30 % of my daily orders are warranty claims. Does anyone else find these percentages at their practice or are these returns excessive? Thanks Mandy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    I have been using Luxar and Luxar u for a couple of years. I find the coatings scratch easily and often break down. The break down is noticeable where the patients eyebrow or cheek touch the lens. The coating does not do well when in contact with perspiration. The lab has stood behind the 2 year warranty. Although it is a nuisance for the patient to return. The warranty jobs also costs me more more staff time and wear and tear on my edger. Currently 25 to 30 % of my daily orders are warranty claims. Does anyone else find these percentages at their practice or are these returns excessive? Thanks Mandy
    That's a very high return rate. The national average is around 7%. Are the warranties due to the coating quality or Rx changes, non adapts?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

high warranty claims on coatings

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    That's a very high return rate. The national average is around 7%. Are the warranties due to the coating quality or Rx changes, non adapts?
    The returns are mostly coating problems. The greatest amount of breakdowns are with the Luxar coating. The Luxar U has fewer problems. The Ultraguard (SRC) has fewer problems than the Luxar U. But all in, I am still having 25 % returns on coating breakdowns. The non adapts are very few ( likely in the 1 % range). Most coating breakdowns occur after a year, but some have returned in as short as a month or two. These returns are not due to mechanical (heavy scratches) or chemical abuse. I am looking for a supplier that has good quality lenses. But every sales rep I speak to claim this will never occur with their lenses. I would like some advice as to which supplier has a reasonably priced progressive that comes with a good quality AR coating.

Thanks Mandy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    The returns are mostly coating problems. The greatest amount of breakdowns are with the Luxar coating. The Luxar U has fewer problems. The Ultraguard (SRC) has fewer problems than the Luxar U. But all in, I am still having 25 % returns on coating breakdowns. The non adapts are very few ( likely in the 1 % range). Most coating breakdowns occur after a year, but some have returned in as short as a month or two. These returns are not due to mechanical (heavy scratches) or chemical abuse. I am looking for a supplier that has good quality lenses. But every sales rep I speak to claim this will never occur with their lenses. I would like some advice as to which supplier has a reasonably priced progressive that comes with a good quality AR coating.

Thanks Mandy
    Don't listen to sales reps...most are only concerned about their sales figure and will say anything. Fact of the matter is, this can and will happen to any lens on the market at some point, however the frequency should be rare.

My best advice is to call up as many labs (big and small) as you can, get a quote, have them visit you in person and give them all a shot at earning your business. Order from all of them for a month or two. This way you can measure the success of the supplier, delivery time and quality of their lenses.

And if there's something unforeseen that develops, you can make the necessary adjustments quickly.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use them a lot in our office at first but now we dispense Zeiss. I would say more than 25% come back for coating failure from optik k&r lens product. It is affordable but I rather give my patients something of better quality for a little bit more in price.

Thread Information