Thread: A coating that makes things brighter?!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

A coating that makes things brighter?!

That's what Nikon are claiming.
    http://www.nikonlenswear.co.uk/produ...seecoat-bright
    How can this work? I'm... Skeptical

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't say what the "secret sauce" is, looks like any other AR.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Yeah...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The Canadian website goes into more detail and claims it enhances the red wavelengths of light

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yeah... but how? How do you "enhance" a given wavelength of incoming light through a lens? The only thing one can do is increase transparency, and that is pretty much maxed out with current AR. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Well yeah, I completely agree. You often see lens companies exaggerating things, but this seems a new level of bull****. And I didn't consider Nikon a company that would be like that, so I was hoping there might be some science to it. Then again they are essilor owned.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Yeah... but how? How do you "enhance" a given wavelength of incoming light through a lens? The only thing one can do is increase transparency, and that is pretty much maxed out with current AR. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.
    Or somehow filter other lower wavelengths with a clear lens, and I do mean visible light, not uv.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Or somehow filter other lower wavelengths with a clear lens, and I do mean visible light, not uv.
    But then we're not talking "enhancement" its basically suppression, which makes other colors look "brighter" by comparison, so its a cheap trick, that does no one any good.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    No one has ever gone broke by underestimating the intelligence of the consumer. There is a sucker born every minute. Just remember:

A little song, a little dance
    A little seltzer, down their pants.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so its a cheap trick
    Ha! Sounds like it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our Nikon rep stopped in and talked to us about this coating when it came out. She said it enchances the red light spectrum which makes colors seem more vivid and brightens everything up at night. She said it would be good for macular degenration patients and anyone over the age of 50. But she also said she tried it herself and saw no difference what so ever. Ive tried it out with a few patients so far so if I get any feedback from them ill def post it here

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Our Nikon rep stopped in and talked to us about this coating when it came out. She said it enchances the red light spectrum which makes colors seem more vivid and brightens everything up at night. She said it would be good for macular degenration patients and anyone over the age of 50. But she also said she tried it herself and saw no difference what so ever. Ive tried it out with a few patients so far so if I get any feedback from them ill def post it here
    The problem, as we tease out above, is this "enchancement" claim. How is it possible to enhance with a lens other than increase transmission, which, as I mentioned above, is pretty much solved by current AR. Relative suppression, as mentioned above, is possible, but that is just a cheap gimmick then, it doesn't "enhance" anything. The only other possibility that I can really think of is emission. It absorbs long wavelength light and re-emits a larger number of photons of a similar wavelength, basically a "fluorescent" phenomenon, using visible light, instead of UV. That really seems far fetched. Infrared can't be used for this because one can only go down in energy, such as UV to visible light, not up, from infrared to red, without an external energy input into the system, and that isn't possible in this scenario. The hard science of this claim just doesn't seem to have legs. Unless Nikon is willing to provide a technical paper that really goes into the nitty-gritty of how it works, it will basically have to be assumed it is a marketing gimmick and not anything of any benefit to the consumer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I've been waiting for someone to produce a coating like this in spectacle lenses:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNkbtjYcW8
    I kind of hoped this might be it but I don't think so now...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem, as we tease out above, is this "enchancement" claim. How is it possible to enhance with a lens other than increase transmission, which, as I mentioned above, is pretty much solved by current AR. Relative suppression, as mentioned above, is possible, but that is just a cheap gimmick then, it doesn't "enhance" anything. The only other possibility that I can really think of is emission. It absorbs long wavelength light and re-emits a larger number of photons of a similar wavelength, basically a "fluorescent" phenomenon, using visible light, instead of UV. That really seems far fetched. Infrared can't be used for this because one can only go down in energy, such as UV to visible light, not up, from infrared to red,without an external energy input into the system, and that isn't possible in this scenario. The hard science of this claim just doesn't seem to have legs. Unless Nikon is willing to provide a technical paper that really goes into the nitty-gritty of how it works, it will basically have to be assumed it is a marketing gimmick and not anything of any benefit to the consumer.
    This hits it on the head; enhancement (not relative suppression, as mentioned above) requires a power source. Unless they are taping itsy-bitsy batteries to the lenses, this is marketing sophistry.

EDIT: I just looked at a catalogue product; a blue-lensed pair of shades that help you "see" lost golf balls. They don't actually make you see the ball, they prevent you from seeing the grassy background. Bolle had tennis glasses a while back that also purported to make balls more visible, but instead suppressed everything else. Dragging down the highs is not the same thing as raising the lows.
    Last edited by finefocus; 12-05-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: catalogue product uses same "principle"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got sent some info from Nikon directly about their new seecoat Bright coating. Im just going to copy and paste what they have written. (I am not an for or against the coating myself at this point. Just sharing info)

"
    SeeCoat Bright supplements the transmission of red wavelengths, resulting in more natural colour perception and increased contrast, especially in dim lighting.

"

"
    Red colour looks dull. SeeCoat Bright supplements the transmission of the red colour spectrum. "
    "

SeeCoat Bright is not designed to cut a specific wavelength; rather, it supports the brain’s perception of colour.

"
    "
    Patient Benefits:
    Clearer vision:
    Dimly lit places seem brighter.
    Enhanced colour perception:
    Light and colours seem clearer and more natural.
    High contrast with a boost in low light situations:
    Reading books, newspapers and menus at night or in dim lighting is easier.

Target Patients

Patients with reduced light sensitivity.
    Patients whose crystalline lens is aging.
    Patients having dif culty reading at night or in dim lighting.
    Patients who drive at night.
    Patients who feel they need more light to see properly.
    Patients who perceive the colours of their surroundings as dull. "
    "

* Purkinje effect: the tendency for the peak luminance sensitivity of the human eye to shift toward the blue end of the colour spectrum at low illumination levels.

"
    Doesnt really seem like they are giving any specfics here so I may agree with you guys that it is more marketing than anything.

Thread Information