Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home made Eyeglasses cleaning Solution recipes

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I include a 7.5" x 7.5" sized Luminex cloth with the purchase of a pair of AR coated lenses. A single cloth purchase is $8.00.

http://www.toraysee.jp/e/

It's the only company that made a Grateful Dead lens cleaning cloth!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322288646442?rmvSB=true
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny enough, that is one strong reason they brought me on in this office, to keep up with technology and products! I'm still worried about all these old paper files being a fire hazard ;-)
    As for the Sears reference (who I worked for in high school and college), I ask a question ... how many new and advanced optical dispensaries have started and failed in the last 77 years? How many are still around? Rhetorical, I know, but I'm a sucker for perspective.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    We use 95% isopropyl every day and yes, a few frames have gone toes up but not many. TR90 types, cheap plastics and some limited others we've learned to use it only on the lens surface when needed. Watch out for All-Off, also! That stuff is strong and will mess thing up!

cs
    Well we've been in business for 77+ years ... we're doing something right!
    FYI the cleaner we give to our patients and our First choice when cleaning eyewear is an alcohol free solution, fancy soap and water.
    We charge the consumer at a very competitive rate, excellent value.

cs
    Funny enough, that is one strong reason they brought me on in this office, to keep up with technology and products! I'm still worried about all these old paper files being a fire hazard ;-)
    As for the Sears reference (who I worked for in high school and college), I ask a question ... how many new and advanced optical dispensaries have started and failed in the last 77 years? How many are still around? Rhetorical, I know, but I'm a sucker for perspective.
    Just confused over which new technology you use? Both seem a bit dated to me, with all the high end treatments. Also, To me, yesterday means nothing, other them a memory and a learning experience. Tomorrow matters more.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

Lets have more cleaning solution recipes.

Thank you

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOptician View Post
    Hello, Lets have more cleaning solution recipes. Thank you
    Concentrated hydrofluoric acid. Dunk the glasses in, and you never have to worry about them needing to be cleaned ever again.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Very sad joke ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

Concentrated hydrofluoric acid. Dunk the glasses in, and you never have to worry about them needing to be cleaned ever again.

You will also never have to worry about your fingers anymore either, because they will unusable forever, having come into contact with the most dangerous acid at full strength.

Very sad joke ..............................

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

Any cleaning solution recipes are welcome.

Thank you.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Here is a simple recipe to make a simple home made eyeglass cleaner .................

Quote Originally Posted by MrOptician View Post
    Hello,

Any cleaning solution recipes are welcome.

Here is a simple recipe to make a simple home made eyeglass cleaner, that will not damage any type of lenses nor the frames..........................

Dishwasher soap diluted in water, make your own concentration as you want, and also add some anti foam agent, so it will not foam up at all, and you have
    a nice working solution. Make sure the liquid does not feel soapy when rubbing between your fingers.

Do not add any alcohols or other solvents, they might do some damage somewhere.

You now have an equivalent to many commercial lens cleaners on the market.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which area of technology are you curious about, lenses, coatings, edging, office equipment?
    As for the rest I'm not overly concerned about your opinions ... While you're thinking of tomorrow don't forget to live today :-)

cs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You will also never have to worry about your fingers anymore either, because they will unusable forever, having come into contact with the most dangerous acid at full strength. Very sad joke ..............................
    Anyone here, that doesn't understand its a joke, probably shouldn't be here, or really question their basic education.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Anyone here, that doesn't understand its a joke, probably shouldn't be here,

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

Anyone here, that doesn't understand its a joke, probably shouldn't be here, or really question their basic education.

My apology for having hurt your feelings. You probably would not joke about pointing a loaded gun into somebodies face, but you used a very similar issue, using one of the most aggressive and deadly chemicals around.

Having been through optical schooling from A to Z, and having owned and operated a chemical manufacturing business for over 30 years, without even one accident occurring during that time, should be enough proof of my basic education.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My apology for having hurt your feelings. You probably would not joke about pointing a loaded gun into somebodies face, but you used a very similar issue, using one of the most aggressive and deadly chemicals around.

Having been through optical schooling from A to Z, and having owned and operated a chemical manufacturing business for over 30 years, without even one accident occurring during that time, should be enough proof of my basic education.
    Agree'd you really can't be too careful nowadays and with posters from countries all over the world; a chemical such as the one joked about could possibly be acquired and tried without knowing it's a "joke".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    My apology for having hurt your feelings. You probably would not joke about pointing a loaded gun into somebodies face, but you used a very similar issue, using one of the most aggressive and deadly chemicals around...
    Actually, I have a rather droll and dark sense of humor, so its a hard call on the gun joke, it would depend on the joke, context, and audience.

No hurt feelings. I just don't see the problem with my original post. Plus, your part about fingers didn't make any sense. Is anyone stupid enough to stick their fingers into any dedicated cleaning solution? If so, they basically get what they have coming to them. I wouldn't suggest submerging ones fingers into the 90% IPA someone mentioned using earlier either. No one, who falls in the "typical" range of the IQ bell curve, would likely ever stick their fingers into any cleaning solution in any professional context. It breaks all sorts of workplace rules, not to mention potential foulling a standing supply of cleaning solution.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a simple recipe to make a simple home made eyeglass cleaner, that will not damage any type of lenses nor the frames..........................

Dishwasher soap diluted in water, make your own concentration as you want, and also add some anti foam agent, so it will not foam up at all, and you have
    a nice working solution. Make sure the liquid does not feel soapy when rubbing between your fingers.

Do not add any alcohols or other solvents, they might do some damage somewhere.

You now have an equivalent to many commercial lens cleaners on the market.
    Hello,

Simple recipe and easy to make.

Thank you Mr.Chris

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

Please if you have More Cleaning solution recipes Post here.

Thank you

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm pretty sure continually bumping posts is against the rules.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't worry about cleaning your glasses, just make your optician do it whenever you are in the office. It's much easier that way.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't mean to criticize your motivation for starting this thread, MrOptician, but I am wondering why it is so important that you find lens cleaner recipes. If it's in the spirit of offering something unique to your patients--something they can only get at your office--I would suggest that you focus first on the quality of service and products that you offer them. They will appreciate and remember the care you give to their experience with you.
    As others have said, making lens cleaner solutions from scratch, if made from the wrong combination of chemicals, can compromise the integrity of the coatings on their lenses, thereby damaging them and creating unhappy patients. Even the most benign-seeming chemicals (i.e. isopropanol) can cause damage. If you're resorting to a homemade cleaning solution because supply or availability is an issue, maybe try talking to other opticians in your area to find out where they source their lens cleaning solutions. Surely there is a product available to you that is reliable and safe for every type of lens you fit.

I hate feeling like I'm lecturing anyone, but I believe it's worth thinking about the possible complications of using or selling anything homemade in an optical shop.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Making and selling lens cleaners is the biggest headache for any company.

Quote Originally Posted by andshewas View Post

As others have said, making lens cleaner solutions from scratch, if made from the wrong combination of chemicals, can compromise the integrity of the coatings on their lenses, thereby damaging them and creating unhappy patients.
    Making and selling lens cleaners is the biggest headache for any company.

You can get them with your name printed on the bottles and 2 cents cheaper if you bargain enough. And when you get some next time you can order from 500 different sources by lots of people that make them in their kitchen.

As a chemical manufacturer that is one product I can produce if wanted by somebody, but I am trying to stay from it.
    Unless you can sell to a huge corporation it is not worth the trouble.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

Please post Any cleaning Solution recipes.

Thank you

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MrOptician, I think you've gotten all you can get out of this thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkRanger View Post
    MrOptician, I think you've gotten all you can get out of this thread.
    +1

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    No need to keep bumping this thread.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information