Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't judge

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't judge

After reading a thread from a consumer a couple days ago, a response hit a nerve. The place we work in no way indicates what our skill set is. Over 30 states are not licensed, translation is they don't have to have a clue. Don't judge the state, or the employer, for what talent the help has. Three of the smartest opticians I know, Bob, George, and Harry, all in an unlicensed state, yet smarter then the average bear, way beyond me, and I went to school for this.

I would be more embarrassed by some of the questions from so called "professional opticians" on here then where someone purchases their Eyewear, and the care they receive. BTW, from what I hear, Costco pays well, and only hires licensed in states that require one. Corporate policy only ties someone's hands, not their mind. Incompetence can be anywhere , so can talent.

Disclaimer: I don't work for a chain, never have, probably never will. Probably never work again at all to be honest.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I post my license and if I worked in an unlicensed state, I would have my ABOM and that too would be posted. I believe that everyone in the industry should cut their optical teeth at a chain. Your going to experience a higher rate of dispensing, you are going to see a high percentage of non adapts, and you will certainly be given the opportunity to do more trouble shooting. The question is, will you take advantage of these opportunities and learn from them and become a better dispenser or will you remain stagnant. From the results of the sampling tray that I've seen; it's unappetizing and not fit for human consumption.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    I post my license and if I worked in an unlicensed state, I would have my ABOM and that too would be posted. I believe that everyone in the industry should cut their optical teeth at a chain. Your going to experience a higher rate of dispensing, you are going to see a high percentage of non adapts, and you will certainly be given the opportunity to do more trouble shooting. The question is, will you take advantage of these opportunities and learn from them and become a better dispenser or will you remain stagnant. From the results of the sampling tray that I've seen; it's unappetizing and not fit for human consumption.
    So, let me understand. We should all start there because they have high non adapts and more visual issues to learn from? But if you stay, your not fit for "human consumption ", your words? This generalization is what I was referring to, don't care what kind of alphabet soup you have after your name, that doesn't mean your good, or talented. What do they call the person who graduates last in their Med school? Doctor. Talent is not determined by the name on the door, period.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper That is the difference between the largest Democracy, USA, in the world .............

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Over 30 states are not licensed, translation is they don't have to have a clue. Don't judge the state, or the employer, for what talent the help has.

That is the difference between the largest Democracy, USA, in the world and the oldest Democracy, but also the smallest, Switzerland.

The learning of any profession, including opticians, is according to Federal guide lines and examinations. When you pass your exams you are good to work in any Canton (State).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, let me understand. We should all start there because they have high non adapts and more visual issues to learn from? But if you stay, your not fit for "human consumption ", your words? This generalization is what I was referring to, don't care what kind of alphabet soup you have after your name, that doesn't mean your good, or talented. What do they call the person who graduates last in their Med school? Doctor. Talent is not determined by the name on the door, period.
    obx, can I call you obx. It's an unusual name; a family name perhaps. You seem to be able to both read and write, a skill set learned in a playground or in a more instructive formal setting. One either sinks or swims, because you can read and write does not make you an editor or a writer. Working in an Optical does not make one an Optician, you may like the notion but it does not demonstrate an aptitude. The alphabet following one's name informs the public that the individual cares enough about a particular field that they dedicated some of their time studying. It means that a person looking for a particular service stands a better chance with an individual who has alphabet than one who does not. Unlike the alphabet following your name obx; which happens to be eyeguy, I'm a Smith, so in my case I need an alphabet following my name so people don't walk into my office looking for a new set of horseshoes. A doctor who graduated last in his/her class still gives you a better chance than the average man on the street. It also means that they persevered through school. If you have the aptitude, why not follow through, take advantage of the situation, and separate one self from the rest.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    obx, can I call you obx. It's an unusual name; a family name perhaps. You seem to be able to both read and write, a skill set learned in a playground or in a more instructive formal setting. One either sinks or swims, because you can read and write does not make you an editor or a writer. Working in an Optical does not make one an Optician, you may like the notion but it does not demonstrate an aptitude. The alphabet following one's name informs the public that the individual cares enough about a particular field that they dedicated some of their time studying. It means that a person looking for a particular service stands a better chance with an individual who has alphabet than one who does not. Unlike the alphabet following your name obx; which happens to be eyeguy, I'm a Smith, so in my case I need an alphabet following my name so people don't walk into my office looking for a new set of horseshoes. A doctor who graduated last in his/her class still gives you a better chance than the average man on the street. It also means that they persevered through school. If you have the aptitude, why not follow through, take advantage of the situation, and separate one self from the rest.
    OBX simply means Outer Banks... the barrier shoals and islands off North Carolina. If you are on the East Coast you will frequently see cars with the white oval bumper stickers designating a location. The abbreviations usually come from airport codes, but not always. We have a CC (Cape Cod) and a SYR (Syracuse) on one of our cars.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have something similar here. I appreciate that Sharon but in truth I was referencing his wording "alphabet". Some of use use our real names whilst others well... alphabet, a double entendre of sorts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Off track as usual, shouldn't surprise me. My POINT was, there is talent behind many doors. Walmart, Costco's, you pick the "retailer", doesn't mean the optician is not talented, and has great ability. I'm only saying that just because Eyewear came from a chain, warehouse, or even a supermarket optical, the person working there may very well be very talented, only held back by corporate policy.

Comments about learning on a playground, nice touch. Want to know who I am, ask? Never really been a secret.

Occupation
    Off track as usual, shouldn't surprise me. My POINT was, there is talent behind many doors. Walmart, Costco's, you pick the "retailer", doesn't mean the optician is not talented, and has great ability. I'm only saying that just because Eyewear came from a chain, warehouse, or even a supermarket optical, the person working there may very well be very talented, only held back by corporate policy.

Comments about learning on a playground, nice touch. Want to know who I am, ask? Never really been a secret.
    Some of the most learned and skilled Ophthalmic Opticians that I have ever known were neither formally schooled or licensed/registered (whatever you call it these days.) Of course, most of them have long since passed to their eternal reward or are living in the Home for the Chronically Vague.

Back in the day, the Ophthalmic Optician had a skill set far beyond that found in todays OD/MD offices or in the Corporate/Chain sales stores. In the late fifties early sixties a journeyman Optician working in a Guild shop made a living wage sufficient to support the wife and a couple of kids, make mortgage and car payments, take a few vacations every year and put some money aside for the kids college and retirement.

The rewards of apprenticing were well worth the effort. No so much in todays eye care jungle.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well said...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Professionalism is more than competency. If it was devoid of good manners, it never began to qualify as "professional."

The true professionals of our trade are here inspiring learning without theatrics, criticism, or logical fallacies from which one would have thought formal education managed to dissuade its graduates.

In our craft, the most important tool we use is language. It's so with patients. It should be so with each other, as it is among other Professions that live up to the name.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The alphabet following one's name informs the public that the individual cares enough about a particular field that they dedicated some of their time studying. It means that a person looking for a particular service stands a better chance with an individual who has alphabet than one who does not.
    If only this were true. It is not. I have worked with a lot of blithering incompetents with plenty of letters after their names, and many truly gifted and dedicated professionals without.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The reality is as AngeHamm states. The world is awash in many "educated" "Professionals" who have no business operating in their fields. Usually being paid far more than their true competency would otherwise merit. Opticianry, optometry, and ophthalmology are no different. Licenses or ABO certifications of ANY level are no more a guarantee of competency than a pulse sadly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I couldn't more strongly agree with the above.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

LOL, you have been the victim of a responder who likes to use a lot of words to say nothing. (Kind of like me, I guess!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'll take the letters for a raise. That and the opportunity to move anywhere should I so choose. Other than that, I am not fit for a school setting and and would not be in this field should it require attendance at a university. That's why the 'dream career' never panned out. Most of my co-workers could say the same. We all 'fell' into this field and then decided it was pretty comfy
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper I have worked with a lot of blithering incompetents .............................

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

If only this were true. It is not. I have worked with a lot of blithering incompetents with plenty of letters after their names, and many truly gifted and dedicated professionals without.

If a person with many letters behind his/her name, with a few years of studies, and does not have it in their fingertips as a natural gift, they will have problems in this field.

The ones who do have it in their fingertips but did not have the education will be at the same level of knowledge and competence many years later, but will never be able to prove it on paper.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Quince;531108 That's why the 'dream career' never panned out. Most of my co-workers could say the same. We all 'fell' into this field and then decided it was pretty comfy [/QUOTE] This is my dream career. I chose it, I went to school for it (I am NOT a "school" type), and it has served me well.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to think I'm pretty good at what I do and I'm always trying to get better and learn more. I have an ABO and am finishing up a bachelors in psychology (because, well I might as well its been 20 years now..) as soon as that is done I'm going to try and get my ABO-AC or ABOM, I'm going to try.

Either way I truly believe I am servicing my clients/patients the best they can be - and many doctors not affiliated with our practice send their patients here.

I was trained as a monkey grabbing laps and tools for the techs when I began, now I at least have my ABO and edge and dispense and troubleshoot. I feel looked down upon by some people I guess that got more schooling that me, but in Maryland its unlegislated and Mcdonalds Drive Thru optics abounds. I do my best and Optiboard has served me well teaching me a lot.

No offense to anyone who works at walmart or costco but the work I see from Costco and Sams club is terrible. Just my experience. At the very least the troubleshooting that is given to a difficult situation is deer in the headlights looks.

Saying that Costco offers skilled dispensers that use good lenses is basically saying I overcharge for my work, which absolutely is not true.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 11-30-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

Saying that Costco offers skilled dispensers that use good lenses is basically saying I overcharge for my work, which absolutely is not true.
    Wow! And you feel looked down upon. Statement speaks for itself, couldn't disagree more and proves my initial topic of "Don't judge".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What it's saying is that Costco generally hires certified dispensers, they use generally solid (if really super old) lens designs, and that they're BIGGER than you. Hence they can afford bulk discounts that you can't. Doesn't mean you overcharge - just that you charge differently for a different product. It's up to you to make that distinction to the patient/client.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! And you feel looked down upon. Statement speaks for itself, couldn't disagree more and proves my initial topic of "Don't judge".
    It may be different in NC, in Maryland you would be mortified, trust me.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I wouldn't deem it judging if you have been witness to a certain grade of quality. Consistence, whether is it good or bad, becomes more of a fact than judgement. Over time that may change, but it's good to understand local competition in terms of product and ability.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the structure of retail optical businesses are fundamentally different than private practice, and the structure can sabotage even the best opticians in either format.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    What it's saying is that Costco generally hires certified dispensers, they use generally solid (if really super old) lens designs, and that they're BIGGER than you. Hence they can afford bulk discounts that you can't. Doesn't mean you overcharge - just that you charge differently for a different product. It's up to you to make that distinction to the patient/client.
    Right, there is a difference between my dispensing and quality of products and theirs. If there wasn't, I would be overcharging, that was my point exactly.

Thread Information