Thread: Tinting on top of an Active Transition for a darker idle state

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Tinting on top of an Active Transition for a darker idle state

Hi Guys,
    im getting very conflicting opinions on whether or not it is a good idea to create an even darker idle state on an active transition lens. The patient would like a 15-20% dark idle state and yet would still like the transition to darken further when outdoors. Our lab says that the tinting process will actually inhibit the imbibed molecules from triggering in UV. Ive spoken to several opticians that have indicated that they've done it before many times in the past and the results were great and it did trigger.

Any thoughts or opinions from industry professionals that can shed some light? Is it worth the risk?

Thank you for your time

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper If the tinted outside layer of the lens .....................

Quote Originally Posted by chronometre View Post

Our lab says that the tinting process will actually inhibit the imbibed molecules from triggering in UV. I've spoken to several opticians that have indicated that they've done it before many times in the past and the results were great and it did trigger.
    If the tinted outside layer of the lens, through added UV absorbance, does not reach the sandwiched part of the lens it will no more react. Use your UV meter.

If the heating process during tinting, damages the lens features you are out of luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you tried transitions vantage or extra active?
    "One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art" - Oscar Wilde

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Cat-Eyes;530436]Have you tried transitions vantage or extra active?[/QUOTE

I have a pair of Transition Vantage and made a pair for our OMD. We all went down to Cancun and loved the performance of them. I enjoy long road trips on my Harley Davidson doing 5 or 6 hundred miles a day, just got back from a 2300 mile ride. Used the Transition Vantage all day every day, performance was over the top for me. Last June I was riding around up in New Hampshire and Maine with them, went to the top of Mt Washington and they were awesome.
    Kicker is at this moment they are only available in gray and I really wanted brown for the better contrast that I need when on my bike.
    Europe has been into the choice of brown over grey for the last 10 years or more. They understand the difference between the two lenses, its not just color. Here in the states it might catch on but I doubt it will before I throw in the towel.

Many people think going darker is better, its not. Just like going into a room and turning out the light, you cant see as well.
    Darker lenses take away light then you cant see as well. POLARIZATION is the answer.
    Darkness gets rid of brightness of the light, polarization cuts the glare.
    Sell them the proper lenses Transition Vantage.
    I have no difficulty with the LED screen on the cockpit of my bike nor on my phone as I was using it as my GPS device.
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 11-07-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Good post CC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [QUOTE=CCGREEN;530443]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    Have you tried transitions vantage or extra active?[/QUOTE

I have a pair of Transition Vantage and made a pair for our OMD. We all went down to Cancun and loved the performance of them. I enjoy long road trips on my Harley Davidson doing 5 or 6 hundred miles a day, just got back from a 2300 mile ride. Used the Transition Vantage all day every day, performance was over the top for me. Last June I was riding around up in New Hampshire and Maine with them, went to the top of Mt Washington and they were awesome.
    Kicker is at this moment they are only available in gray and I really wanted brown for the better contrast that I need when on my bike.
    Europe has been into the choice of brown over grey for the last 10 years or more. They understand the difference between the two lenses, its not just color. Here in the states it might catch on but I doubt it will before I throw in the towel.

Many people think going darker is better, its not. Just like going into a room and turning out the light, you cant see as well.
    Darker lenses take away light then you cant see as well. POLARIZATION is the answer.
    Darkness gets rid of brightness of the light, polarization cuts the glare.
    Sell them the proper lenses Transition Vantage.
    I have no difficulty with the LED screen on the cockpit of my bike nor on my phone as I was using it as my GPS device.
    We never got ANY good feedback about TV. People fricking HATED that lens. Especially those who'd worn polarized suns in the past.

I've worked with plenty of patients who experience more eye comfort with a darker lens and are more than happy to live with a little bit of glare... In blind (haha) tests I conducted in the office, I had self-reported photophobes repeatedly choose a pair of tinted grey 3s and 3.5s in plano CR39 over a plano gray polarized. Exact same frames, multiple tests Sometimes it's a matter of patient preference and comfort.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband loves his vantage lenses. I do not believe it is a good replacement for polarized suns however for certain sports and hobbies it has been a well received product. I also have a couple "photophobes" who enjoy it as replacement for their clear or standard transitions.
    "One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art" - Oscar Wilde

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have tinted Transitions dozens of times. Sometimes I'll get pushback from my lab claiming it is a counter-indicated practice and voids the Transitions warranty, but they'll do it. It has always been successful for my customers that want it. Standard tint dyes don't sufficiently block UV to hinder the Transitions layer (that's why you need to add UV400 in addition to tint to make suitable sunlenses).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They can be tinted, I've done it many times. Once I get the tint to the appropriate temperature and have stirred it up I shut down the tint tank. While the tint is cooling down I continue stir it from time to time, once it reaches about 125 degrees I insert the lenses into the tint. I've also done the same with polarized lenses.
    Great point from Dan regarding some additional UV to the lenses.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to Transitions, all their lenses block 100% of UV A&B.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why would Transitions Xtractive not fit the bill exactly?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What andrew said
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Why would Transitions Xtractive not fit the bill exactly?
    The indoor tint on xtractive is pretty mild, which is good in general, but may not be enough extra for photophobes. For those I've done they wanted as much as a 50% indoor tint. xtractive also changes slower, which probably won't bother the photophobe, but its a consideration.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have patients who want to wear sunglasses all the time, put them in Drivewear. Or better yet, tint a base Rx lens, and then use a Chem clip for the true polar overtint.

Thread Information