This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need volunteers

Since retiring, my wife and I volunteer for CaliforniaCareForce (.org). We just did 3 days in Sacramento - we produced approx. 600 pairs of glasses (yes, 600 - all sv stock lenses, no surface capability, all CR39, nothing fancy - frames donated by Lions, VSP, and others). We had lots of general volunteers, but only 3 OD's, 2 professional labs guys to edge and assemble all those specs, and 1 professional optician (me) to fit them. We did have one other real optician for one day, and lots of general volunteers to do pre-testing, manage traffic flow and show frames, but I personally adjusted about 550 pairs of specs (talk about sore hands!). We really need help from people who know how to fit glasses. Won't you consider helping us? Our next clinic will be in Pomona in a few months, followed by our annual clinic in Coachella.

Help! Help! If you can't make it, please spread the word to anybody you can think of. This is a great organization doing good work for recipients who won't get glasses any other way. Plenty of 3-4 even 5-diopter myopes who drive around with no glasses - think of the lives you can help save!

PM me if you have any recruitment ideas, I'd be grateful.

Fred W.

Im in the East Bay and would love to help out the next time you're in the area. Unfortunately I can't help with the Pomona/Coachella clinics (too far!)

Comment

I may be able to do Pomona. When? BTW- I'm ABO certified. I'm a experienced frame adjuster.
      Use the light to return to clarity. Tao Te Ching

Comment

Originally posted by Lori View Post
        I may be able to do Pomona. When? BTW- I'm ABO certified. I'm a experienced frame adjuster.
        Thank you, Lori.
        Unfortunately, the Pomona clinic has been cancelled (problems with the venue). Can we tempt you to come to Coachella March 31-April 2? We can promise lots of camaraderie and patients who can use your skills (I certainly can use your skills).

Comment

Coachella Volunteer

Originally posted by finefocus View Post
          Thank you, Lori.
          Unfortunately, the Pomona clinic has been cancelled (problems with the venue). Can we tempt you to come to Coachella March 31-April 2? We can promise lots of camaraderie and patients who can use your skills (I certainly can use your skills).
          I have plans on March 31 but can commit to April 1-2 if that would help.
          Use the light to return to clarity. Tao Te Ching

Comment

I would definitely volunteer if I lived in CA!

Comment

Originally posted by marlee View Post
              I would definitely volunteer if I lived in CA!
              Thanks for the kind thought. By the way, our best guy (John Weis) comes from St. Louis for clinics. If California is too far, look into Remote Area Medical (our original parent group) - they have clinics all over the East, and especially in Appalachia.

Comment

If you come back to the Sacramento area send me a personal message and if I can get the time to help I'd love to.
                I have a website. I post stuff there. Some people think it is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatesjoke View Post
                  If you come back to the Sacramento area send me a personal message and if I can get the time to help I'd love to.
                  Thanks, your timing is superb - we'll be in Sacramento (at Cal Expo) Sept 22,23,24. Check the website (californiacareforce.org) for more detail and a signup page.
                  Hope we get to see you!

Comment

Awesome! I'm registered as a volunteer. Thanks!

Comment

@finefocus, thanks again for introducing me to California Care Force and the excellent event I was able to be a part of this past Sunday. I look forward to being there in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatesjoke View Post
                        @finefocus, thanks again for introducing me to California Care Force and the excellent event I was able to be a part of this past Sunday. I look forward to being there in the future.
                        Thanks to Shawn and Lori who really helped us to help a lot of people.

Comment

Thank you fro sharing about California CareForce. I'm from Southern CA and am looking into volunteering.

Thank you for all that you do!

~Tien

Comment

Originally posted by ojosbonitos View Post
                            Thank you fro sharing about California CareForce. I'm from Southern CA and am looking into volunteering.

Thank you for all that you do!

~Tien
                            Thank you - we'll see you in Coachella in March, I hope. The website ( CaliforniaCareForce.org ) has the details. It's great fun, and genuinely useful to humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by finefocus View Post
                              Thank you - we'll see you in Coachella in March, I hope. The website ( CaliforniaCareForce.org ) has the details. It's great fun, and genuinely useful to humanity.
                              I just registered myself and my family, including our 4 year old daughter, for Coachella. We'll be there Sunday, March 25th.

Hope to meet you in March! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X