Thread: 4.5 billion * need visual correction, yet only 1.9 billion * actually receive it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper 4.5 billion * need visual correction, yet only 1.9 billion * actually receive it.

The book is out on the internet. All 276 pages to see for anyone who is interested to see and learn how to do it.

2015 Registration Document Essilor.PDF

ESSILOR: THE WORLD’S LEADING OPHTHALMIC OPTICS COMPANY

Essilor’s mission is to improve lives by improving sight. Of the 7.2 billion * people living on the planet, 4.5 billion * need visual correction, yet only 1.9 billion * actually receive it. More than 2.5 billion * people worldwide receive no correction at all. As a result, the Group strives to provide products tailored to the needs of every person.

Start reading: ===========>
    http://www.essilor.com/en/Investors/...nt_Essilor.pdf

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've seen this before, they like to exaggerate. They claim to be the 1st to market cr39. Armorlite launched cr39 ophthalmic lenses in 1947 and was the only manufacturer for 6 solid years before Essilor and Sola got to market. They claim to have "invented" the PAL. The 1st patent was given in England to Owen Aves in 1907 and the 1st commercially available PAL was the Ultrifo introduced in 1922 in Canada. (granted, Essilor did come up with the 1st generation of modern design PAL's.)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper I've seen this before, they like to exaggerate................................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

I've seen this before, they like to exaggerate. They claim to be the 1st to market cr39. Armorlite launched cr39 ophthalmic lenses in 1947 and was the only manufacturer for 6 solid years before Essilor and Sola got to market.
    None of the above were on the market in the 1960s.

When I started my Rx lab in the mid 1960s in Canada there was nobody selling or surfacing plastic lenses.
    I was actually quite a few years ahead of them by surfacing
    HOYA Pals (glass) in 1965 in Canada, a few years before they took over their agent.

The first plastic lenses I met was in the 1950s during my optical apprenticeship in Switzerland and they were the British made "IGARD" lenses. So soft that they always scratched and we had to re polish them by hand.

The first good selling CR39 lenses in Europe, were the "ORMA" lenses which then fused together ESSEL making the top selling "NYLOR" frames, to become ESSILOR

Occupation
    The first CR-39 ophthalmic lenses available in the US were manufactured by Armorlite Lens Company in California in 1947 followed closely by the American Optical Aolite Tillyer lens series. These lenses did not achieve any significant market share until the impact resistance requirements were mandated by the government. After all, who wanted to sell lenses that scratched so easily and had inferior optical qualities.

Corning and the manufacturers of the polymer spent millions lining the pockets of the regulators in Washington to "protect the public" from the scourge of shattering lenses and blind children running around bumping into things. They also spent millions wining and dining the eye care providers to accept the latest and greatest.

Ah well, it was a new opportunity to upsell and make a few extra bucks on money.
    Last edited by rbaker; 10-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Information