Thread: Recommendation for a resume service in the optical industry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Lightbulb Recommendation for a resume service in the optical industry

Hello all. So, i have a very special set of optical skills and i feel like my resume does not portray what i am capable of. I have 25 year experience that include wholesale lab which was a non profit/medicaid lab. Here i held the position of 100% percent of the customer service as well as inventory of frame,lenses and supplies. I also did all the data entry, lab support(final,coating,tinting,blocking...) and administrative activities for the lab. I spent 23 years at Lenscrafters where i was also lab support, regional operations trainer,management, frame stylist and dispenser. In more recent years i held a position as an optical liaison for a wholesale lab and maintained the communication and trouble shooting from the store fronts to the lab.Now i am employed by a frame manufacture and so as you can see i have a very broad spectrum in the industry and feel i need someone who can use the proper terminology to express my skills in search for my life long career. I am very trust worthy and have in 100% of my jobs been a key holder.I take great pride in my work. I am a very hard work , dedicated and would like to work for a "team". I am also ABO certified. Anyone with some recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Last edited by oculargirl; 10-19-2016 at 12:11 PM.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you attach a copy of your resume?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What is your life long career goal? A Resume should be geared toward meeting the qualifications required of the new position and highlight your strengths. Cover letter is a great way to tell your story but should be concise and again express how you will contribute or excel in the new position. As an employer, a great resume would lead to an interview. In person evaluations and impressions is what I used to ultimately hire.

Things I look for : longevity-is the candidate a dedicated employee, able to work well with coworkers and management. If I see changes in employment every 6 months to a year then a red flag goes up. In your case 25 years speaks volumes

Certification: Is the candidate fully vested in industry ABO cert is a must

People skills- has the candidate managed or dealt with persons outside lab? This is truly a strength which indicates maturity and able to handle responsibility.

In short, stress the 3 areas I listed and try not to focus on specifics of experience. Although impressive, it might be irrelevant to the person doing the hiring. For example, I've been in industry for 35 years and the fact I can run a 108 manual generator with my eyes closed has no significance in todays world. Also I would caution you listing that you did 100% of customer service...might be true but 1 person does not equal "team" as you mentioned later in your post. Another note is your screen name.. "da mean girl" are you really mean? Make sure email address is as generic as possible

Good luck

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank you very much for your insight. I am looking for a service to help and i did not post my experience to be recruited so i am not sure what my screen name has to do with anything. And no...i am not mean. Again, simply looking for a resume update for when a good opportunity comes along. Thank you for your time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Do you have a service you can recommend? I am not comfortable handing out my resume. Thank you so much for trying to help.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dameangirl View Post
    Do you have a service you can recommend? I am not comfortable handing out my resume. Thank you so much for trying to help.
    The last time I had to assemble a resume I had quite a few people proof read it(family and friends), and not just optical industry people. It must have worked because I literally have been offered jobs without even meeting face to face. Some businesses even asked if I could start working within a few business days before they did a formal interview.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Oculargirl-
    I have 9 years experience as a headhunter/recruiter in the optical industry and would love to help you with your resume. Email me at opticalacuity@gmail.com and we can chat about things if you are interested.

Best
    Rockstargazer

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank you so much. I have sent you an email.

Thread Information