Thread: Edge Polish & Thick Acetate Frames - Avoids The On-Edge Internal Reflections?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Edge Polish & Thick Acetate Frames - Avoids The On-Edge Internal Reflections?

Can one edge polish a lens, intended for a thick acetate frame, and avoid the on-edge internal reflections in lenses that can occur when one uses edge polish on semi-rimless/rimless frames? These on-edge reflections are the reason I generally don't edge polish lenses, but now that thick acetate frames are in, I guess its a reasonable thing to offer?

Also, has anyone used the pens that are available? Most I see are poly. Are these compatible with 1.6? Do I need pens that match the index of the lens I'm edging with the pen?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the lens. Edge polish is usually only needed in high minuses. In that instance the temple edge of the lens will not be hidden by the bezel and will still pick up on-edge reflections.

IMO those pens for painting the edges of lenses are a better in idea than execution. They make the lens look sloppy.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    Depends on the lens. Edge polish is usually only needed in high minuses. In that instance the temple edge of the lens will not be hidden by the bezel and will still pick up on-edge reflections.

IMO those pens for painting the edges of lenses are a better in idea than execution. They make the lens look sloppy.
    fantastic explanation. thanks for the post

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Just wipe it on and the job is done.............................

We produce and sell a Polycarbonate Edge Polish by the bottle. Just wipe it on and the job is done.

see at:
    http://optochemicals.com/products/in...dge_polish.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    In this instance, the lens edge is 99% hidden by the frame, but you can still see the edge of the lens inside the frame, so that's why I figured the edge polish wouldn't be a problem for on-edge reflection. That's basically what I was asking in my first question.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have tried to come up with a workable dispensary rule for edge polishing........and the best one(for patient, and dispenser) has been:

Avoid it, if at all possible.

The discerning taste of appearance, or the distasteful reflections created by some lenses can create negative reactions, if done!

When faced with some lens thicknesses, and certain lens raw materials, or frame designs, it may be a "must have".
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I prefer a satin finish. No white edge and no reflections to drive you nuts.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Edge polish only on drilled rimless, and even then not all the time.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It frustrates me that many labs automatically edge polish high-powered or even all high-index jobs. I just got a comp pair of lenses from a good lab and they arrived with an edge polish that I HATE. And because I didn't pay for the lenses I feel guilty about asking for them to be remade.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    It frustrates me that many labs automatically edge polish high-powered or even all high-index jobs. I just got a comp pair of lenses from a good lab and they arrived with an edge polish that I HATE. And because I didn't pay for the lenses I feel guilty about asking for them to be remade.
    I was in the same situation. I hate edge polish... makes my eyes crazy. I think sometimes, on some edgers it is automatic on a drilled lens and if you want it satin, it has to be cut on a different edger. If the lenses are free... you do feel bad sending them back. I know they can just redo the edges so it's not polished, but sometimes it's not even since it's done by hand.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The pens are a mess. I have tried a couple different types and varied techniques, but can't to seem to find a good purpose for them.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

The pens are a mess. I have tried a couple different types and varied techniques, but can't to seem to find a good purpose for them.

The get yourself the liquid stuff in a bottle and wipe it on with a Kleneex

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have in the past just polished only the portion of the lense that shows above the eyewire by hand and left the rest of the edge satin in appearance.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think I'll just leave well enough alone given what I've read here.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do 93% trivex and had a custom polish wheel made to keep the reflections down but polish consistent.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Best edge finish: CR39 w/AR and tint edges at lower dye pit temperature. Also, do not quench immediately after tinting.

Next: Satin finish edges, but must be smooth and even. Hi index in rimless requires deft hand touch up to look best.
    Add edge pen - light grey or brown. There is a sophisticated technique that we've developed that looks almost as good as CR39. The only hint I'll give is that it involves using two edge pens, paper towel, all off and a Formica desk top.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A great wat to take it off, is go to auto zone and in the auto sand paper section for paint, find a foam pad backed 2000 grit. rub the edges on that and it will give a nice satin that has satisfied the ones that didnt like the polish. (dont forget to punt something on the lens face to protect it from your fingers. it creates static and the particles want to get up there and will scratch where you are touching)

Thread Information