Thread: Golf Glasses with Golf Seg

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Golf Glasses with Golf Seg

What's the "best" tint for golfing glasses? Granted, the greens are green and the skies are blue, but is there one tint that would be "best" for someone who just wants one pair of glasses while on the golf course?

Also, what's the best way to fit a golfing seg?

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nike says purple, I've done well with amber brown.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician View Post
    What's the "best" tint for golfing glasses? Granted, the greens are green and the skies are blue, but is there one tint that would be "best" for someone who just wants one pair of glasses while on the golf course?

Thanks!
    Great questions, Neo.

In my years of opticianry, my golfers haven't had distinctly different tint preferences than the general population. I tend to mention a brown tint may provide a little better contrast against the blue sky for tracking the ball, but still most stick with the gray anyway. [Edit: will have to scope out that purple, Tallboy!]

When you say 'golfing seg,' my first thought is to the Shamir Golf--which tries to let you measure the seg conventionally and the design takes care of the rest. (Remember those lenses must be at least a six base.) However, if your patient is in a conventional PAL and you can't talk them out of it: you're faced with the dilemma of keeping the magnification out of their way and chopping off their near vision altogether. (Hopefully after you explained that, you've talked them out of it.)

For a line BF, I've gone as low as 6mm--just enough to give them a sliver of lens to see the golf card. Quiz your patients about neck and posture issues before getting this creative, and I always have them model a tee-off for me in order to be sure there are no surprises. Placing opaque tape on the demo lenses to demonstrate their swing & reading areas in a FT isn't a bad idea either.

Beware that sometimes these patients will come back from the course with a complaint after they've given it a dry run--with altered inputs that you carefully tried to deduce the first time around. But if you and your patient are patient enough to work through it, you can carry their customized concerns into future pairs with future Rx's--and it's often a nice clientele to be plugged into.
    Last edited by Hayde; 10-10-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I wonder what Prince's golfing handicap was?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Round seg rotated off to the lower corner. Old school stuff right there...

cs

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What do you think about doing a round seg placed in the lower corner of, for example, his right lens? How large of a round seg would you think would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Great questions, Neo.

In my years of opticianry, my golfers haven't had distinctly different tint preferences than the general population. I tend to mention a brown tint may provide a little better contrast against the blue sky for tracking the ball, but still most stick with the gray anyway. [Edit: will have to scope out that purple, Tallboy!]

When you say 'golfing seg,' my first thought is to the Shamir Golf--which tries to let you measure the seg conventionally and the design takes care of the rest. (Remember those lenses must be at least a six base.) However, if your patient is in a conventional PAL and you can't talk them out of it: you're faced with the dilemma of keeping the magnification out of their way and chopping off their near vision altogether. (Hopefully after you explained that, you've talked them out of it.)

For a line BF, I've gone as low as 6mm--just enough to give them a sliver of lens to see the golf card. Quiz your patients about neck and posture issues before getting this creative, and I always have them model a tee-off for me in order to be sure there are no surprises. Placing opaque tape on the demo lenses to demonstrate their swing & reading areas in a FT isn't a bad idea either.

Beware that sometimes these patients will come back from the course with a complaint after they've given it a dry run--with altered inputs that you carefully tried to deduce the first time around. But if you and your patient are patient enough to work through it, you can carry their customized concerns into future pairs with future Rx's--and it's often a nice clientele to be plugged into.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How large of a round seg in the corner would you recommend? Also, if the golfer is right-handed, would you place it in his right lens at the lower right-hand corner? How would I tell the lab to manufacture it?
    Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you think about doing a round seg placed in the lower corner of, for example, his right lens? How large of a round seg would you think would work best?
    I'm aware of the technique...calculating the Rx to order is a lot of fun, too. To be honest, though, I haven't had many patients bite at the option--and a few who had in the past prefer something different. Lack of availability in polarized makes it a non-starter for some folks. The majority of the rest my golfers wish to preserve binocular vision at the near. (Don't discount the image jump of a round seg, or its potential to be distracting. Finding the ideal placement of the round seg is an art.) Since the Shamir Golf rolled around, I just don't have a lot of call for the Round Seg Golfing Lens for that rolling-eye guy out of Harry Potter.

If I were determined to go Round Seg in the patient's dominant eye, I'd go with a 24mm simply because that's what's available to me in Trivex--and to heck with worrying about image jump. (I'm not the guy who'll put you in CR39 or glass where 200mph balls are whizzing around.)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Hayde on all points, I usually find other/better options. I would be lazy and send it to one of my labs to do complete making sure pt. likes placement first with tape on the demo lens. Also making sure not to edge half my round seg off, full power is in the center after all.
    Explore other options that the pt. has more experience first.

cs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    I agree with Hayde on all points, I usually find other/better options. I would be lazy and send it to one of my labs to do complete making sure pt. likes placement first with tape on the demo lens. Also making sure not to edge half my round seg off, full power is in the center after all.
    Explore other options that the pt. has more experience first.

cs
    Oh man CS, if I still worked with an in-store edger, there's no way I'd let the out-lab have all the fun! :) Twisting the axis & Trigging the seg height/NPD at order placement, plus blocking that bad boy yourself when it comes in, that's a thrilling day at work! (Better not to forget to take any prescribed blood pressure meds, though....)

CS is right of course, who really has time for that much fun? If the outside lab isn't charging for the 'golf math,' then the remake risk we pay them for is well worth it on this one.

You know, the Round Seg golfing lens is a really great thought experiment to throw at a blossoming trainee---see if they know their stuff on paper before they land such a patient for real.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Neox G22 with a Chemistie clip as a round seg for easy removal

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to make FT 28 with the seg on top instead of bottom.

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's the "best" tint for golfing glasses?
    A Doc that retired from our office earlier in the year is an avid golfer and SWORE by Drivewear for golf. No guarantees that it will lower a handicap.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper By far the best lens on a golf course .................

By far the best lens on a golf course is high contrast blue blocking lens. You can even see the ball lying in the grass at the other end.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use drivewear, and people love it

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks!
    The golf seg is essentially used to keep an accurate score card tuck it out of the way of his swing. High contrast Blue Blocking lens have worked well for me.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've tried brown, I've tried gray, I've tried Drivewear, I mostly play golf without. I still haven't found anything that improves my game. So good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    Round seg rotated off to the lower corner. Old school stuff right there...

cs
    Old school just cant be improved on. Thats why its still around.....because it works just like that!

Color.......is open to perception and way to many variables, just find one that you like and works best for you in your climate, lighting conditions and background colors.

Neither one of the above will "improve your game". Practice practice practice no one can do it for you. If that dont work for you.....find another hobby.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have done G-15 polarized a lot for golfers contrast is a bit clearer then others.
    Shamir golf is great for that, and if money is tight and patients don't want to get that
    What i was told to do by a master optician is to lower the seg of regular progressives, it has always worked for me, it depends a lot on the prescription also, "no doubt"
    Golfers need more Distance / Intermedia than anything else. Its just my opinion

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The perfect golf glasses are the the ones .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post

The golf seg is essentially used to keep an accurate score card tuck it out of the way of his swing. High contrast Blue Blocking lens have worked well for me.

The perfect golf glasses are the the ones with a reading segment reversed on top to the right or left side depending on the person, so it will not be in the way of sight.

You can even tint the lenses yourself into a blue blocking color of amber / brown or green in the microwave to lose not much time and save lots of money.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    We used to make FT 28 with the seg on top instead of bottom.
    +1
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Thread Information