Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced ABO Review

OptiBoard Apprentice johnnyoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Advanced ABO Review

I need help finding a review course or review book for the ABO Advanced Exam. Optician's here in the USA are not at all 'with it' when it comes to using common sense, at times. The American Board of Opticianry offers an exam which, upon passing, would certify someone as an Advanced Optician. Eager to show my increased proficiency and knowledge gained over nine years, I traveled to Las Vegas, got up early, failed the test and went home. Funny thing is, I believed I hade done quite well. When I finally got the results, I had failed all but one category, the one for which I had never studied. The ABO, the body offering the test and certification, offers no review course. Neither does any other group or organization that I can find. Having not done well on my first attempt, I hoped the ABO would inform me of the questions I missed. No can do.
    So here I am. No one can help me. A few hundred dollars, countless hours studying, a bruised ego and a failed test later, I have nothing to show for my efforts. Please help me. I need a review course or a fantastic book that will help me. The ABO's broad study categories are worthless.

Thanks in advance. :shiner:
    In the imortal words of Socrates, 'I drank what?'. -Chris Knight (from the movie Real Genius)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

johnnyoptical,,

Honey works better. Let me see if I can help. Contact the National Academy of Opticianry and get their ABO Master's Review book and test review. It is designed as a CEC and is useful for study purposes. Contact NAO at 800-229-4828.

Even though this book was written prior to dispensing with the "Master's TEST", it works well for study of the advanced ABO.

Here's the information that you need.

Master's Review CEC (#MASTCEC)
    12 Credits ABO
    Level: Advanced
    Author: Frank Ervin, O.D.

The Masters Review book is a five-section, intensive overview of advanced level topics. The book covers: Analysis and Interpretation of Prescriptions; Fitting and Dispensing Spectacles and Accessories; Utilization of Geometric and Applied Optics; Professional and Ethical Conduct; and Mathematics.

Roy Ferguson also used to give a course that was super. If you could get several people together for the course, it may make it affordable for Roy to come into your area and give it. (Any input Roy?)

Hope this helps.

Diane
    :bbg:
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Diane for the extremely rapid reply. When I spoke to the NAO I was given no indication that such an item existed. I was simply told, 'No, we don't offer a review course for the Advanced ABO". I am so glad you knew about this. I will conact them right away. It's a beautiful thing when opticians get together and help one another.

Thanks again.:D
    In the imortal words of Socrates, 'I drank what?'. -Chris Knight (from the movie Real Genius)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    johnnyoptical

You're welcome. I checked with the academy and they can't really endorse it, particularly because of the title. Still, get the book to study. I still think there's lots of good material in it.

Diane

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Several years ago there was an ABO Masters Review course offered at VEE. I haven't checked their schedule as yet, but you might look for that also.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you Diane, once again, and thank you to everyone who replied. I have ordered the book from the NAO (they are no longer stocking the book and selling what they have on hand for $10 apeice) as well as ordering other books mentioned that should contain useful info. I am now prepared to put my nose to the grindstone and pass the test.
    I have been on the Optiboard for one week, and it is by far the most useful optical source I have ever encountered. Thanks again.

John:D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

johnnyoptical said:
    I have been on the Optiboard for one week, and it is by far the most useful optical source I have ever encountered. Thanks again.

John:D
    Can we quote you on that? :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Can you pass that book on to me? I am looking to take my Advanced ABO Test. Thanks for your help!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Foureyedmo View Post
    Can you pass that book on to me? I am looking to take my Advanced ABO Test. Thanks for your help!
    I replied on your other thread, but will pass on the information here. Advanced Opticians Tutorial. Call NAO at 800-229-4828.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there anything else outside of NAO's $250 "Advanced Opticians Tutorial" that would help? I've scoured the interenet and it seems this is the ONLY review guide in existence for advanced certification. There are a number of books for standard certification, which helps when you're looking for a cost effective way to study; but it seems a little ridiculous that only one book would be out there for this and it's only offered by one organization.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The cost for this book is not excessive in any way. Consider the cost of the average college text today, and you will see what I mean. The number of people taking the exam is not large enough to warrant an additional text, so this is it, but I can tell you it will be worth it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I paid it...took the classes...passed. You get what you pay for and $250 is nothing compared to all the educational costs you will accrue throughout your career. Pay it, its worth it
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are a member of the NAO or get a member to order it for you it's only $150.00.

Occupation
    It's cheaper to become a member $75 + book $150; Whereas non-member price is $250.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

John:D[/QUOTE]

Hi I am Teresa Crawford and looking for the master's review books and can not find them . I called nao,ABO,and clsa. If you can help I would be very grateful. I am moving from a non-licence state to a licence state. Tough after 21 years as an optical and now having to study and take test again.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you looking for, exactly?
    Last edited by Diopterman; 08-04-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What did you want? I'm not sure I understand.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I want to take the Florida licence test. I am looking for a good study guide.I heard the 5 booklet by frank ervin really helped its called the master's review. If you know where I can find it I will be grateful.if you know of any other study guides I will looked into getting them . Thanks for your help

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by teresa crawford View Post
    I want to take the Florida licence test. I am looking for a good study guide.I heard the 5 booklet by frank ervin really helped its called the master's review. If you know where I can find it I will be grateful.if you know of any other study guides I will looked into getting them . Thanks for your help
    1.) Marchon Eyeglassery, 2nd edition; Weber
    2.) Ophthalmic Dispensing; Stimson
    3.)
    Modern Sales Techniques for Ophthalmic Dispensing; Alofs
    4.) Advanced Opticians Tutorial
    https://www.nao.org/catalog/iteminfo...d=293&compid=1
    5.) The Search Function is Your Buddy!; Diopterman
    Last edited by Diopterman; 08-04-2011 at 06:30 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hello,

I am in the process of studying for the ABO Advanced Certification. I actually teach Opticianry for the Army, so I have the ability to get any book or study material out there......I just need to know exactly what to study! I have the Advanced Opticians Tutorial from the NAO, as well as every other book out there. I guess what I am asking is if any ABO Masters/Advanced certificate holders can kinda give me a point in the right direction as far as how to know what to study. My problem is, there is too much information here. How can I narrow it down to where Im not reading every book front to back, and overwhelming myself/students with unnecessary information?!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heard that they may be re-writing the ABO Advanced Exam, so not sure anybody will know what's on it if it's been re-done. When and where are you planning taking the exam?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I took the most recent test at VEE 2013 and passed it. And you are right that there is very little in texts and practice tests for the ABO Advanced exam. If you are going to invest in the NAO book become a member it will save you a few bucks, thats what I did. Maybe try and convince your employer to pay for the continuing education costs. Also to address the question of "What should I study, what is on the test?" it could be anything from the topics outlined in the NAO study book, or potentially anything else. The questions are chosen from a bank and it is always different and updated. To nail that point home, once you pass the exam, ABO actually contacts the ABO-AC opticians and asks for new topic recommendations and questions. To my surprise I have already been contact and I just recently passed the exam. So in summary no two tests are the same and the topics are broad and varied. Exam room procedures, ocular medical conditions, optics mathematics, business management, ethics, business accounting, lens technologies, etc...

Because there is a big shortage of study guides and especially practice questions I decided to write and self publish a study guide and 198 question practice exam after I passed the test. I based the information on the most relevant topics, in my opinion, and the questions are very up to date. It took a lot of work to make and I am usually on optiboard to help if any of my topics are confusing. I self published on Amazon (Optician Essentials and Advanced Exam Study Guide) if you are interested. I sold one copy so far and got 2 out of 5 stars! Haha, I got nailed because I forgot to put in page numbers and an index (thats what happens when you self publish)!!! Anyway, I have revised and fixed those problems and offered to send the customer a free revised copy but haven't heard a peep. Any feedback is good feedback I suppose.

I would love to do in person training (I am a certified technical CE author and trainer for ABO & NCLE) but unless you are local its cost prohibitive.
    Hope this helps!

Erich Mack

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Opt View Post
    I've heard that they may be re-writing the ABO Advanced Exam, so not sure anybody will know what's on it if it's been re-done. When and where are you planning taking the exam?
    Yes, they revise it with new topics. They ask current ABO-AC and ABOM for input on the new question topics. Also, regardless of new topics each test has questions pulled out of a large question bank so each exam is different. I apssed the ABO advanced in 2013 and have been contact already by ABO for input of new topics.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank you all sooooo much for your valuable input!!! Erichwmack, I clicked your link and put it in my shopping cart. When I get to work tomorrow, I am going to put in the request for my job to buy it. If not, I'll foot the $50 bucks. It's worth it! I just paid for the NCLE test this may, and my VA state License practical test today. Once I pass these two, I am going to take the next avalible ABO-AC (there are no dates posted yet). As soon as I get any results, I will post my feedback!

Occupation
    No problem glad to help! Good luck on your exam and practical!!

Thread Information