Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced ABO Review

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can I take the advanced ABO exam first ?

Hi I'm Jayne.

I am an English qualified Dispensing Optician ( FBDO ) with a degree in applied Optics . I have been in the USA for 9 years and have just gone back to work in an Opticians in Carrollton Texas . As far as I understand after contacting the ABO my qualification is not "recognized" here so I can not call myself certified . I have been looking at the three levels of certification: Basic , Advanced & Master and I would like to take the advanced exam and move onto the Master . Can anyone tell me if theses exams have to be completed in order or can I jump straight into the advanced . Looking at the syllabus the master is akin to my UK qualification but I didn't need to do thesis and As I have been out of the "loop" for 9 years I feel a more sensible route is the advanced course of study at this present time .
    Thank you

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi Jayne,

Yes, you have to follow the order of ABO, ABO-AC, then the thesis for ABOM. If they wont recognize reciprocity then you basically start all over. At least it should be easy for you! Here is the link to the ABO details http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Certific...4-9b27fe71d4ea

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler575 View Post
    Hi I'm Jayne.

I am an English qualified Dispensing Optician ( FBDO ) with a degree in applied Optics . I have been in the USA for 9 years and have just gone back to work in an Opticians in Carrollton Texas . As far as I understand after contacting the ABO my qualification is not "recognized" here so I can not call myself certified . I have been looking at the three levels of certification: Basic , Advanced & Master and I would like to take the advanced exam and move onto the Master . Can anyone tell me if theses exams have to be completed in order or can I jump straight into the advanced . Looking at the syllabus the master is akin to my UK qualification but I didn't need to do thesis and As I have been out of the "loop" for 9 years I feel a more sensible route is the advanced course of study at this present time .
    Thank you
    Welcome to OptiBoard! The requirements for an Optician in the US vary GREATLY from state to state. Only about 22 states require Opticians to be licensed, which means they must pass exams that may include written and/or practical portions depending on the individual states requirements. If you have a degree in "Applied Optics" from a school/program in the UK, your credentials would be recognized here just as any other college degree from a foreign country would be. You may have to have your degree validated from an outside agency if you were interested in seeking licensure (in a state that requires licensure such as FL, NY, NJ, etc.) or want to apply those courses to another college degree program here in the US. This can be done through an agency such as WES.ORG, you pay them a fee and they evaluate the courses and degree you have and provide an equivalency to a US degree. However, in order to call yourself a "Certified Optician" in the US, the industry standard is to be certified by the ABO. ABO Certification is voluntary and there are no college or work requirements needed to take the exam. Certification (voluntary) should not to be confused with licensure (required by law). To become ABO certified, you start out by passing the Basic ABO Exam (a written exam of 125 questions offered a few times a year at testing centers throughout US), then you can seek the higher certifications (Advanced ABO & ABO Master) if you wish. I'm confident that if you have a degree in Applied Optics from the UK, the Basic ABO will be fairly easy for you. Most people only become ABO certified (Basic) and do not seek the higher certifications since they are voluntary and not required for licensure. If you're interested in increasing your qualifications here in the US, I suggest becoming ABO Advanced Certified or an ABO Master Optician in the future. In TX, Opticians are NOT required to be licensed by the state, so anybody can work as an Optician without any prior education or training. But, there is a TX voluntary registry that does require you to be certified by the ABO in order to register. Go to the following web site for more info: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/optician/opt_forms.shtm According to the website registration form, "It is not mandatory under state law that opticians maintain registration under the Act; however, a person may not represent to the public that the person is a Registered Dispensing Optician, a Registered Spectacle Dispenser or a Registered Contact Lens Dispenser unless the person is registered under and complies with the Act." So, in the meantime, don't call yourself or represent yourself as a "Registered Dispensing Optician", just simply say you're an Optician. As far as being out of the loop for 9 years, the principles of optics have not changed. You may want to read up on the new designs and names of common progressive lenses used in the US and become familiar with free form (digital) lenses, a lot has changed in this area of lens manufacturing in the past 9 years. You can search different articles online at: http://www.2020mag.com/

You can always post questions or search the archives here on OptiBoard also. Most people on here are good people and want to see our profession progress and will welcome your commentary. Just be aware that there are a very select few on here that are not professional, just as with any other profession. Hope to hear more from you in the future.
    Last edited by FL-Opt; 03-17-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Font

Thread Information