Thread: all digital lenses are different (even same rx)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb all digital lenses are different (even same rx)

I feel like I have so many more vision issues with patients now in the digital age with PALS versus the non-digital age. I tend to mostly fit
    Essilor W3+ (but a little better luck with physio enhanced)- but regardless with the type of digital PAL , patients seem to notice more little
    vision nuances now. Does anybody else notice this? or is it just patients getting crankier and more demanding?

Twice I have even had patients get 2 pair of eyeglasses, same RX, and they noticed little differences between each of them :(
    (I swear I never had as many people complaining back in the essilor natural days:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have noticed a difference going from Varilux Comfort Enhanced to W2. Supposed to be the new improved Comf Enhanced but there is a bit more issues w/ Pts since the change. An, yes, Pts are getting a lot more sensative and demanding. Love the digital pal though. I see a huge difference. The first time I put them on I looked side to side and thought, "they forgot the bif.., Oh, I can see"(when I looked down). Shocked me to see that well. I have been fitting and teaching Pts with their first pal for 40 years and I could never adjust to stnd pal myself. I wore readers. Love My digital office type lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had a hard time with any "enhanced" wearer going to any of the W series. I usually make sure I adjust the glasses when I do measurements. that seems to help!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Going off what becc971 said, I wonder if there may need to be a change in measuring or something of the like. I work in an office that uses just about every brand and we measure differently for different styles. We have also found that our patients collectively like short corridors better and we order as such when available.

The lifestyle of today is much different than it was before digital PALs were introduced. Keep in mind where the wearer is actually focusing, not what the 'standard' is.

And its true- taking Varilux patients out of that design is always a nightmare...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I really like the Auto III and the control Shamir allows the optician in engineering the correct fit for their patients. I almost 100% use the fixed version of the design and at times I can even specify the base curve from my lab. The Attitude I use exclusively for wrap sunwear.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes pts have a hard time adapting to a digitally compensated lens, especially for light myop's and first time PAL wearers. Might be best to start with something, yes, simpler. I agree with the previous poster and am a fan of the auto III and its selectable corridors, but since it is digitally compensated you can sometimes run into issues. If they are the type of pt that is likely to return the following year I might recommend starting with an Intouch or a spectrum (if your a shamir office/optician) and then moving into the Auto next year.
    Christopher Lee
    Arizona LDO
    ABOC & NCLEC

Thread Information