Thread: Contact lens fittings and Exams

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Contact lens fittings and Exams

Hello,

I was wondering how long after an exam do you usually allow a patient to then choose to do a fitting? A lot of people do not seem happy with our 90 day fitting policy and was wondering what other practices go by. Thank you!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    3 months is plenty of time. Typically people mention a desire to wear contacts at their initial comprehensive but decide not to, giving you the opportunity to inform them of this policy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    6 months here, but my old office was 90 days. 90 days is plenty of time, and after 6 months your script could easily h ave changed so guess what buttercup its a whole new exam for you!

3 months is PLENTY of time to get these things done. People need to manage their time better.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    6 months here, but my old office was 90 days. 90 days is plenty of time, and after 6 months your script could easily h ave changed so guess what buttercup its a whole new exam for you!

3 months is PLENTY of time to get these things done. People need to manage their time better.

Same here
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Washington State, I have been told that we have a 6 month period to final the Contact fitting. You may want to check to see if the state you are practicing in has any mandated policies in place.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We do it up until they're approaching the annual exam. Up to, say, 9 months, then.

However, it does have the effect of "pushing back" the annual exam, in reality.

So...(not that it comes up around here, much) six months is not a bad compromise.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait why aren't discussing one rule for children and one for adults? I can understand 6-9 months for adults, but for children sometimes even 6 months is pushing it for a possible rx change.

The rule here (if it was written) would be closer to:
    6 months from the initial date of fitting*
    * If you under 18 or at the discretion of the Doctor this limit may be raised or lowered

Last edited by jpways; 09-19-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post

Absolutely!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    Wait why aren't discussing one rule for children and one for adults? I can understand 6-9 months for adults, but for children sometimes even 6 months is pushing it for a possible rx change.

The rule here (if it was written) would be closer to:
    6 months from the initial date of fitting*
    * If you under 18 or at the discretion of the Doctor this limit may be raised or lowered

Why stop at children. The elderly and those on medications can come up with a host of health issues that can have adverse affect on one's vision.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The dr I work with has a 30 day from eyeglass exam discounted fitting fee, after that they have to pay for the entire contact lens exam. We found this to be the best way to weed out who is and is not serious about coming back, and reduced the number of no-shows, even after calling to confirm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depending on state regulation, I guess you can do it up to shy of 1 year from last eye exam. If the patient yields 20/20 with spectacles and the anterior segment looks good...then schedule the dilated exam within a few weeks after the fit, most will agree to it. The problem I think is not so much a health issue but also an insurance issue.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Patients not being happy" about a policy is not a reason to relax our standards of care. I've lost count of the "inconvenienced" patients who threatened to never return only to show up for their next year's appointment without further comment.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information